Home

UFC 3 Gameplay Videos dropping at 12am pst tonight!

This is a discussion on UFC 3 Gameplay Videos dropping at 12am pst tonight! within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2017, 02:23 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: UFC 3 Gameplay Videos dropping at 12am pst tonight!

Well, kickboxing is definitely better overall. And KBers are probably better at managing range because they have to deal with punching range and kicking range.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:24 AM   #58
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skufflz
I've been lurking here for a bit, but this dude is comedy.
For real. He refuses to try and actually back up his claims with credible arguments either. Like posting a video where some rando explains why boxing is better and one single sparring session where the KB loses proves his point.

And he says he's afraid of Muay Thai but not Kickboxing. It's like he doesn't know the only difference is you can't use elbows.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:25 AM   #59
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

MMA striking with hands and boxing are two different things. That was talked about a lot during May/Mac fight buildup.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:29 AM   #60
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalStumpy
I *have* been in several Wing Chun dojos (they are called dojos rather than gyms) but to be honest I was not impressed. Don't get me wrong I respect all martial arts. But boxing and muai thai are the best martial arts.
Wing Chun and Krav Maga are mostly marketing gimmicks.
Right but that wasn't my point. I was saying if you trained there as a kid you would've believed whatever bull**** that instructor was saying to you.

Kickboxing = Muay Thai with no elbows/sometimes clinch breaks. What is wrong with you?
Old 11-27-2017, 02:31 AM   #61
Rookie

Quote:
I *have* been in several Wing Chun dojos (they are called dojos rather than gyms) but to be honest I was not impressed. Don't get me wrong I respect all martial arts. But boxing and muai thai are the best martial arts.
Wing Chun and Krav Maga are mostly marketing gimmicks.
The fact that you don't even mention BJJ makes me pretty much disregard your opinion.

Edit: Also, Krav Maga is not a marketing gimmick, that's literally what they train a lot of the Israeli military in. It's a martial art made to kill.

Last edited by bejahamps; 11-27-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2017, 02:36 AM   #62
Banned

Quote:
Muai Thai training is completely different from kickboxing training. For example many nak muay begin training using ropes for hand wraps. They are much tougher and faster than kickboxers. Unfortunately they are at a genetic disadvantage and have to fight in smaller weight classes. So we may never see a truly even battle.

As for training as a kid, I agree with you. That is why I have practiced almost every martial art throughout my lifetime, and traveled the world to do so. Not every gym or dojo is the same. And the most important thing of all is a good trainer / sensei.
If we're talking about traditional styles and NOT range of strikes, Muay Thai is terrible compared to kickboxing. Nak Muays often neglect proper punching combinations in favor of trading round kicks. This is a very funny opinion coming from a guy with a hard-on for boxing. Kickboxers generally have slicker and tighter boxing fundamentals.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:39 AM   #63
Banned

Quote:
If you are fighting from your back, you already lost. I prefer Judo to be honest, as you have more of a chance to wind up back on top. And vertical positioning is the most important when it comes to life and death.

Now in a sporting competition like MMA, jiu-jitsu (especially brazillian) begins to shine. In a real fight, Japanese Jiu Jitsu is more practical, sharing its roots with pure Judo.
Ah, here we go. The old, "in a REAL fight, traneing UFC isn't helpful cuz i can bite you and eye gouge". The true mark of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. This is how I know you're actually old because only older TMA guys think this way.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:40 AM   #64
MVP

Kickboxer vs boxer, both having never faced the opposite style, would still really end up depending on the individual temperament of the fighters.

A boxer is not hitting the kickboxer period from kicking range so has to close the distance and get past the kicks.

A bumrush tactic to get close followed up by punches in bunches to overwhelm might work but if there are no ropes, the kickboxer has a lot of room to keep the boxer at kick range.

The boxer having never seen kicks in his life will get dismantled by the complexity, feints and angles of the kicks, especially if the kickboxer is a Raymond Daniels esque kickboxer.

So yeah, good luck to the boxer in that situation.

If however the fight starts up close, and the kickboxer does not clinch or tie up the boxer, it will be a difficult day for the kickboxer BUT having said that, a kickboxer has seen punches and drilled them. Not as well as the boxer but boxing is a part of kickboxing.

A savate style kickboxer would probably fare better in a close range situation with a boxer than a points karate style kickboxer. A thai kickboxer with clinch and knees would demolish the boxer.

But, if the boxer has trained against these fight disciplines before and has drilled the defense etc. then they have a better chance.

That said, if the boxer 100% beats the kicker in any scenario, then no one would use kicks.

Depends on the fighter ultimately but in general as far as styles go, if we are talking pure with no cross training: mma > muay thai > kickboxing > boxing.

If however a champion boxer were to take a few years to learn to adapt his style to mma, then it's different but at that point, he is no longer a pure boxer anyway. He would have the most to learn crossing over.

A champion kickboxer would have less to learn going over to mma.

A champion muay thai even less to learn and would be lethal in standup.

And the mma dude is the jack of all trades.

I do agree with the idea that training combinations IRL should translate over to this game but again, it depends on a bunch of things, namely animations and frame timing.

Try some boxing combos in FNC and it flows nicely. Try them in Ea UFC 2 or THQ UFC and it just isn't effective. It wont be perfect in UFC 3 either but seems like it could be good enough for MMA fans.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »