Home

Please bring back the UFC 1 referee stoppage when you hold block 2 long on the ground

This is a discussion on Please bring back the UFC 1 referee stoppage when you hold block 2 long on the ground within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Please bring back the UFC 1 referee stoppage when you hold block 2 long on the gr

Had a better reply but my browser sucks

As far as the Lawler situation if you’re able to alternate blocking high/low without taking damage that’s intelligent defense. On the ground just laying there holding block is not. It’s two very different scenarios.

I’ll just say adding TKO would give another element to the ground/stand up. But I dont believe it should just be thrown in.

It should factor in guard damage, and some of the ground stuff would need to be tuned especially stand ups.

Can you explain how it would be OP on the ground? One or two blocks and you’re free to transition. One reversal and you’re free. Not to mention if someone is striking you have massive GA.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #50
MVP

Re: Please bring back the UFC 1 referee stoppage when you hold block 2 long on the gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Had a better reply but my browser sucks

As far as the Lawler situation if you’re able to alternate blocking high/low without taking damage that’s intelligent defense. On the ground just laying there holding block is not. It’s two very different scenarios.

I’ll just say adding TKO would give another element to the ground/stand up. But I dont believe it should just be thrown in.

It should factor in guard damage, and some of the ground stuff would need to be tuned especially stand ups.

Can you explain how it would be OP on the ground? One or two blocks and you’re free to transition. One reversal and you’re free. Not to mention if someone is striking you have massive GA.
It wouldn't be. Currently, TKOs on the ground (in positions where they actually work) are determined by head and arm/guard health. You can't be TKOed until you've been wailed on quite a lot and have significant head damage. That way you can actually block and build GA without being destroyed. I don't even know why this is a discussion. It's been there in the game since UFC 1 and hasn't left. When the mechanic was reworked for UFC 2, no one complained about it. Hell, it looks like most of you never even knew it was there.

It's in every position but BSC/Sprawl, N/S, and the four main chest-to-chest positions. We need to add it to all of those except N/S and maybe sprawl (sprawl needs head punches). Of course, we still keep it tied to arm/guard and head health. That way you won't just be finished for only blocking. There is absolutely nothing to suggest it won't work.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #51
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
As far as the Lawler situation if you’re able to alternate blocking high/low without taking damage that’s intelligent defense.
What if you're just blocking high because that's where your opponent is aiming?

Quote:
On the ground just laying there holding block is not. It’s two very different scenarios.
It's not. The only reason you'd even have to alternate is because your opponent can switch targets. There's just one place to aim at on the floor and I can cover that option by blocking.

Just because Lawler had to cover more options doesn't make it more intelligent, it just makes it more difficult. If little to no shots are getting through, isn't that the definition of intelligently defending yourself? If not, then intelligently defending yourself is impossible on the ground.

Quote:
Get to full mount. Posture up. Only throw strikes when the person on the bottom tries to transition. When they're damaged enough. Throw single strikes at their guard as well. If done even remotely competently, they either get KO'd while transitioning, KO'd while you break their guard/TKO'd, or TKO'd for holding their guard too long. Unless they get lucky with a Jedi level read on your punch and arm trap you. But that comes with the inherent risk of getting punched for trying to transition if you guess wrong.

It's already silly enough as it is, TKOs in that scenario make it that much worse.

That doesn't mean I don't want TKO's on the ground, just that I think it'll be more of a problem than a benefit in the current system. It needs a complete reworks first.

[edit]

Wait, are you talking about the arms-flailing-because-my-guard-broke TKO's?

Last edited by DaisukEasy; 01-02-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukEasy
What if you're just blocking high because that's where your opponent is aiming?

It's not. The only reason you'd even have to alternate is because your opponent can switch targets. There's just one place to aim at on the floor and I can cover that option by blocking.

Just because Lawler had to cover more options doesn't make it more intelligent, it just makes it more difficult. If little to no shots are getting through, isn't that the definition of intelligently defending yourself? If not, then intelligently defending yourself is impossible on the ground.

Get to full mount. Posture up. Only throw strikes when the person on the bottom tries to transition. When they're damaged enough. Throw single strikes at their guard as well. If done even remotely competently, they either get KO'd while transitioning, KO'd while you break their guard/TKO'd, or TKO'd for holding their guard too long. Unless they get lucky with a Jedi level read on your punch and arm trap you. But that comes with the inherent risk of getting punched for trying to transition if you guess wrong.

It's already silly enough as it is, TKOs in that scenario make it that much worse.

That doesn't mean I don't want TKO's on the ground, just that I think it'll be more of a problem than a benefit in the current system. It needs a complete reworks first.

[edit]

Wait, are you talking about the arms-flailing-because-my-guard-broke TKO's?
I think I get what you’re saying now. I do believe we should have the same guard break with straight strikes vs looping ones on the ground.

As far as mount goes I dont understand how the tko changes that. If you block the strike your GA will make it so you can transition before they strike.

You can even fake a transition and then block
Old 01-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #53
Rookie

I think they should add parrys when the person is i. The stun state. Parry a few strikes to survive and break out of the stun state. They already have the coding for parries, why not use it to where it could be needed

- ground parrys should only be activated when your fighter is stunned.

It gives us more freedom and a chance to escape being stunned. I could epic comebacks fights with this feature
Old 01-03-2018, 10:36 PM   #54
Banned

Acebaldwin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempman1000
I think they should add parrys when the person is i. The stun state. Parry a few strikes to survive and break out of the stun state. They already have the coding for parries, why not use it to where it could be needed

- ground parrys should only be activated when your fighter is stunned.

It gives us more freedom and a chance to escape being stunned. I could epic comebacks fights with this feature
Arm traps are basically that and it's already implemented in game when stunned on the ground.

I'd like to have that in the stand up, where it's possible to clinch up by timing a strike when stunned, but risking big by opening up your defence. But you wouldn't be able to deny the clinch since it would be like a parry or catching a kick. The clinch as it is now when stunned is barely useful, not only is it slow as heck, but can easily be denied and get yourself countered 9 times out of 10 in the recovery frames of being denied the entry clinch.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Acebaldwin; 01-03-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:18 PM   #55
Rookie

Yea but irl when your stunned its pretty difficult to arm trap. I would keep that oprion as a riskier option but reward bcuz you can possibly reverse them but a less risky reward goes with using the parry system (by pressing square and x or triangle and circle. Its sorta like a ufc undispted 3 variation with an ea ufc twist

So arm trap reversal tansition ( bigger risk major reward
And parry smaller risk smaller reward

In ea ufc the guy just sits thete and gets pounded. U cant move in the stunned state just eat those punches. So why not just add parrys (just think of ud3 but instead of sways use parrys and instead of catching the punch like in ud3 you use the armtrap)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2018, 12:53 AM   #56
MVP

When has anyone ever parried punches while rocked on the ground?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »