Home

Please bring back the UFC 1 referee stoppage when you hold block 2 long on the ground

This is a discussion on Please bring back the UFC 1 referee stoppage when you hold block 2 long on the ground within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2018, 01:27 AM   #57
Banned

Acebaldwin's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Please bring back the UFC 1 referee stoppage when you hold block 2 long on the gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
When has anyone ever parried punches while rocked on the ground?
Parrying a strike means deviating it from its route, so you figure one would do it when trying to break his opponent's posture and get back in a position less risky to get knocked out cold or cause a referee stoppage. So yeah, it happens a lot.

Last edited by Acebaldwin; 01-04-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:56 AM   #58
MVP

Re: Please bring back the UFC 1 referee stoppage when you hold block 2 long on the gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acebaldwin
Parrying a strike means deviating it from its route, so you figure one would do it when trying to break his opponent's posture and get back in a position less risky to get knocked out cold or cause a refere stoppage. You pretty much need to do it in the first place to get a arm trapped...
Show me an instance of someone getting pounded on the ground rocked, actively trying to parry strikes. Not putting their hands up to block causing punches to miss. Actually parrying.

I'm not trying to measure my dick here, but I have over 12 years of fighting experience. Parrying just isn't done on the ground. No one teaches it and no one does it instinctively. Arm traps are barely even a thing insofar as catching a punch and redirecting it. It happens, but not often.

More often than not, a fighter will block punches while looking for an opportunity to clinch up and use their hips/legs to stop an onslaught or stand up. They don't redirect strikes while getting rained down on. The in game arm traps are almost exclusive to video games. No one has been getting beaten down from mount and caught an arm in the middle of a punch to pull their opponent down. That would expose you to being high mounted. Fighters will buck their hips to offset them because striking can create an off balance moment. Other things they will do is sit up and hug the midsection or turn over and give their back.

Again, you do not redirect strikes to trap arms. You block, use your hips to gain a better position, and create an opportunity to clinch. Only then can you start to catch a strike. Which still rarely happens. Most will duck under the punch to grab an underhook.

I'm not rejecting a "parry-like" system of defense but, the animation has to be something realistic. Use the button to "parry", but instead of showing an animation of redirecting the punch, the fighter bucks/moves their hips and shoots an underhook or something.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:40 AM   #59
Banned

Acebaldwin's Arena

Is that guy for real? The moment he asked me to find a instance where someone on the ground getting punished was actively trying to deviate strikes to either get a better position, get a arm trapped or break the posture of his opponent is the moment I stopped reading.

Sorry to say you've wasted 12 years of training if you cant grasp something as remotely simple as parrying being a viable defence on the ground. But In my opinion, it's simply nonother than you not knowing the definition of what actual parrying was in the first place.

Had to stoop to your level but I have to say, feels good being a condescending prick to a condescending ahole. Do your own research for your own personal gains, it might just end up being more of help than showing you something you wouldnt even understand in the first place anyway. Or you would understand, but would still just go on and on about semantics just to try and get some validity in your stupid arguments.

Last edited by Acebaldwin; 01-04-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #60
MVP

The burden of proof is on you to provide evidence to support your arguments. I gave mine. You can’t just say outlandish things and then insinuate I’m crazy without any proof. What you did is called a cop out and ad hominem. You attempt to discredit me as a person instead of my argument.

As a side note, I never stooped to the level of hurling insults at you. I simply gave you my opinion on the validity of your arguments and your childish comments. You are now proving me right again. Nowhere in my comments here have I insulted you or said anything particularly inflammatory. This is all you carrying bad blood from a previous topic because you can’t be civil. It’s pretty sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #61
Rookie

Watch a fight and youll see it damn near every fight. U buck hips to stand up/get in better position. Has nothing to do with evading strikes. If youve actually paied attention or have even been in a mma fight or even a grappling match. Bucking hips wont help too much blocking an elbow. You buck hips to get in better position

Last edited by tempman1000; 01-04-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #62
MVP

Please bring back the UFC 1 referee stoppage when you hold block 2 long on the ground

Okay, show me a gif if it happens every fight. Still waiting. None of this even matters so who am I kidding. If you guys can spout demonstrably false information like fact and say I’m the crazy one, you’ll definitely find a way to spin it in your own head.

Edit: Opponent rears up to throw an elbow from mount, his arm is no longer controlling your posture or ready for a post on that side. You buck your hips to the side he’s throwing and off balance him enough to shrimp back into half guard or roll him over into guard.

I’m the only one actually backing up my talk with real technique. So tell me what’s wrong with that scenario if you can’t buck your hips to stop an elbow? What’s your belt in BJJ again? Your combat sports experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by RetractedMonkey; 01-04-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #63
Banned

Acebaldwin's Arena

Cop out how? You think parrying is like swatting flies out of the air or something? You just don't realise that deviating strikes can be done differently than what is shown in video games, same for arm traps. What I'm doing is not copping out, it's making you try to think for yourself for one second.

"More often than not, a fighter will block punches while looking for an opportunity to clinch up and use their hips/legs to stop an onslaught or stand up. They don't redirect strikes while getting rained down on."

See that's the thing, a lot of times you see guys defend from ground and pound in open guard by putting distance between him and the aggressor by using their legs and push their opponent's hips, then extends their arms, not only so they can grasp at their neck or arm to break their posture, but because by extending their arms the punches that rains down can also be redirected easier, missing their mark, which can give opportunity for sweeping, submissions by trapping a limb or breaking their posture and going back in full guard.

Parrying does not equal "swatting flies" like it was in EA MMA, nor does it mean that if you're talking about parrying that it means it's the only thing you'll need to do when attempting to deviate strikes from their route. you don't stay on your back, do nothing and wait till a strike comes your way for you to swat at it like it was a fly. I seriously don't even know why I even need to say this.

Fighters extending their arms, how many times have you seen that? In Muay Thai, in Boxing, in MMA, is it only to gauge distance? No, is it only to put distance between your assailant and yourself? No. Is it only so that their arms being extented makes it so it's easier to redirect punches? No.
Why no? Because it's all of them.

No matter what you may think, techniques can be used for different reasons and in addition with others. Extending your arms act as prolonged shield that partially block your opponent's strikes and mess up their accuracy with your arms and hands, which is also easier done than in the closed up stance and swatting at them at the last moment making it the "parry" some people suppose they all look like. Hell parrying can be done with elbows too. # of times I've parried a straight to the plexus by stepping to the side while simultanuously use my elbow to deviate the strike and giving me the opportunity to get out of the ropes or give me the edge by countering or pressing forward on a opponent that was now thrown off due to the angle I was now coming from..

I too have experience in fighting, but that don't mean **** if that same knowledge stops you from seeing things other than what you've learned. In contrary belief for some, parrying means to deflect a incoming punch, be it with the palm of your hand, your shoulders, your arms or elbows. It's not just done by swatting at your opponent's incoming punches.

Partially blocking a strike which deflects its route which prompts a counter opportunity and parrying a strike which deflects it's route which prompts a counter opportunity. Semantics.

The term parrying isn't strictly reserved to what you may think.

Hell parrying as a start is a term used in fencing, which has roots from the 16 hundreds. (1602, at a time where duels and **** were happening with swords) where parrying is classed as a deflection of the blade that prevents the opponent's attack from landing.

Parrying as a technique in boxing is much more recent than this.

Anyway, F this, back on my block list.

Last edited by Acebaldwin; 01-04-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #64
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acebaldwin
Cop out how? You think parrying is like swatting flies out of the air or something? You just don't realise that deviating strikes can be done differently than what is shown in video games, same for arm traps. What I'm doing is not copping out, it's making you try to think for yourself for one second.

"More often than not, a fighter will block punches while looking for an opportunity to clinch up and use their hips/legs to stop an onslaught or stand up. They don't redirect strikes while getting rained down on."

See that's the thing, a lot of times you see guys defend from ground and pound in open guard by putting distance between him and the aggressor by using their legs and push their opponent's hips, then extends their arms, not only so they can grasp at their neck or arm to break their posture, but because by extending their arms the punches that rains down can also be redirected easier, missing their mark, which can give opportunity for sweeping, submissions by trapping a limb or breaking their posture and going back in full guard.

Parrying does not equal "swatting flies" like it was in EA MMA, nor does it mean that if you're talking about parrying that it means it's the only thing you'll need to do when attempting to deviate strikes from their route. you don't stay on your back, do nothing and wait till a strike comes your way for you to swat at it like it was a fly. I seriously don't even know why I even need to say this.

Fighters extending their arms, how many times have you seen that? In Muay Thai, in Boxing, in MMA, is it only to gauge distance? No, is it only to put distance between your assailant and yourself? No. Is it only so that their arms being extented makes it so it's easier to redirect punches? No.
Why no? Because it's all of them.

No matter what you may think, techniques can be used for different reasons and in addition with others. Extending your arms act as prolonged shield that partially block your opponent's strikes and mess up their accuracy with your arms and hands, which is also easier done than in the closed up stance and swatting at them at the last moment making it the "parry" some people suppose they all look like. Hell parrying can be done with elbows too. # of times I've parried a straight to the plexus by stepping to the side while simultanuously use my elbow to deviate the strike and giving me the opportunity to get out of the ropes or give me the edge by countering or pressing forward on a opponent that was now thrown off due to the angle I was now coming from..

I too have experience in fighting, but that don't mean **** if that same knowledge stops you from seeing things other than what you've learned. In contrary belief for some, parrying means to deflect a incoming punch, be it with the palm of your hand, your shoulders, your arms or elbows. It's not just done by swatting at your opponent's incoming punches.

Partially blocking a strike which deflects its route which prompts a counter opportunity and parrying a strike which deflects it's route which prompts a counter opportunity. Semantics.

The term parrying isn't strictly reserved to what you may think.

Hell parrying as a start is a term used in fencing, which has roots from the 16 hundreds. (1602, at a time where duels and **** were happening with swords) where parrying is classed as a deflection of the blade that prevents the opponent's attack from landing.

Parrying as a technique in boxing is much more recent than this.

Anyway, F this, back on my block list.
That's all cool, but it appears you've either realized you have no argument or are so hurt in your feelings about the meters topic that you've blinded yourself. First of all, we aren't talking about striking in which parrying is done all the time and we really aren't even talking about ground work (although everything still applies there). We were talking about being rocked on the ground and adding a parry mechanic.

This argument was not over semantics. If it was, you would have clearly read my points and realized that we were on the same side, but you didn't. This quote of mine dismantles your entire previous post:

"I'm not rejecting a "parry-like" system of defense but, the animation has to be something realistic. Use the button to "parry", but instead of showing an animation of redirecting the punch, the fighter bucks/moves their hips and shoots an underhook or something."

So clearly, I understand that deviating punches is a thing and I am in favor of a potential mechanic. I just don't want it to be "video-gamey" like before. I was rejecting the idea of an outright EA UFC 2/MMA parry system on the ground. If you would've just been a man about it, you would have simply told me you didn't really mean literal parrying in your post and everything would have been settled. But, for the third time, you have proved that I wasn't being condescending. I was only pointing out an observable fact that you are childish.

Your entire post simply reiterates that you don't like me so you looked for a way to argue. There's no reason for you to post if you believed anything you just said. I literally agreed with all of it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »