Home

Main Issues With Stand Up In UFC 3. Let's Talk About Punch Speed/Head Movement.

This is a discussion on Main Issues With Stand Up In UFC 3. Let's Talk About Punch Speed/Head Movement. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

OVR: 0
Main Issues With Stand Up In UFC 3. Let's Talk About Punch Speed/Head Movement.

The striking is great conceptually. The execution is lacking in some areas though.

-Super sonic speed combo spam.
-Stamina system. Guys are throwing way too many punches a round.
-Straight punches having stopping power at close range.
-Floaty movement. The movement is better than UFC 2 but could do with tightening up a bit.
-Chin depletion stat has too much control over who wins fights at a high level.
-Too many rocks. (in the right direction but it's over the top). I think this is mainly because once a fighter has been rocked or dropped once or twice.... It happens over and over. This isn't realistic... plenty of fighters get dropped or rocked but carry on fighting as normal. Conor drops everyone a lot. It's the type of power and timing he has. There's way more examples of fighters getting hurt or dropped and then continuing fighting as normal.
-Inability to catch kicks in a jab-roundhouse combination.
-Head movement could be more responsive/smooth to deal with the rapid fire punches. Also a shame that you can only duck and not just slightly slip to the left/right (this will probably have to wait until another UFC game tho).

So here's martial mind...

Go to 11:20. Everyone respects this guys ability so I'll use him for evidence that it's not that I'm just bad. I've beaten plenty guys in the top 100 on UFC 2 and have fought some of them on 3 and won too.

The stopping power of those straights is too much at that range. They come out so quick and they stop MM from throwing. The head movement is also just not good enough to deal with them. Before everyone says it's just Diaz.... he said the same thing when he was Kevin Lee playing a McGregor. He blamed it on the characters head movement stat but that isn't the problem. Pettis has a head movement stat of 90. That should be plenty high enough to deal with this stuff. It just doesn't feel responsive enough currently and the 1-2 punch spam is too fast and has too much stopping power up close. If one punch lands.... it messes up the head movement and you just get tagged repeatedly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Main Issues With Stand Up In UFC 3. Let's Talk About Punch Speed/Head Movement.

The main problem with the head movement is the return to center axis. Diaz's 1-2 and McGregor's 1-2 are so fast that if I'm moving I'll have returned to the center line and get hit by the next 1-2 and if I'm standing still and try to throw off a slip, their punches are faster and knock me out of my strike. I should be able to walk forward ducking, or leaning back or doing whatever, give it massive grapple disadvantage because of the weight distribution (except ducking, because that'd probably help with defending shot takedowns)

I don't think this is a massive problem with other fighters however, it's just the unique diaz jab/straight and celtic cross are too fast (the celtic cross is actually too slow as a lead though imo, it's slower than a regular straight). Tune the speed on unique punches and adjust stopping power with range. A flicking, pocket jab is nowhere near as disorienting as an fully extended jab and that should be reflected.

Also, I have a theory that the multiple rocks are people being too aggressive and not good at block breaking yet. I rarely get more than 2-3 rocks before I manage to finish a guy, especially if he backs straight up blocking. People also need to learn that you aren't fully recovered after you come out of the rocked state, it takes a few seconds after that. The amount of times people throw hard at me immediately after getting their legs back only to be rocked or KO'd by the counter is honestly ridiculous. Agree with everything else though

Last edited by Nugget7211; 12-02-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
Banned

Re: Main Issues With Stand Up In UFC 3. Let's Talk About Punch Speed/Head Movement.

I concur. I've had plenty of fights where well timed head movement still does nothing for me against someone whos good at the 1-2-1-2 combo. Sure it works well against someone who throws just a single strike or keeps the combo down to a two piece. But those 4 punch combos seem to overpower proper head movement
Old 12-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget7211
Also, I have a theory that the multiple rocks are people being too aggressive and not good at block breaking yet. I rarely get more than 2-3 rocks before I manage to finish a guy, especially if he backs straight up blocking. People also need to learn that you aren't fully recovered after you come out of the rocked state, it takes a few seconds after that. The amount of times people throw hard at me immediately after getting their legs back only to be rocked or KO'd by the counter is honestly ridiculous. Agree with everything else though
The rocks is actually the only thing I'm not so sure about. But I'm pretty confident that even when people learn to play better it'll still be a little much. I've rocked/knocked guys down a ton before I actually get the finish the fight knockdown or a clean knockout. It just gets kinda silly at a certain point. Joe Rogan shouting "ohhhh" every 5 seconds as well lol.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
The rocks is actually the only thing I'm not so sure about. But I'm pretty confident that even when people learn to play better it'll still be a little much. I've rocked/knocked guys down a ton before I actually get the finish the fight knockdown or a clean knockout. It just gets kinda silly at a certain point. Joe Rogan shouting "ohhhh" every 5 seconds as well lol.
Oh, don't get me wrong, ever getting to 12 rocks or whatever is kinda dumb. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to blame the game just yet. If in like, April/May (2-3 months post launch) it's still like this, then yeah, they should probably tweak some ****. Reactionary nerfs/buffs is rarely a good thing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
I get what you are saying about the rocks. I love how realistic the damage system is and I really don't want that to change. That being said, I feel it's really the constant knockdowns more than anything. There are too many active and alert knockdowns that are happening. I feel there needs to be a threshold with that, where there will only be so many active and alert knockdowns that happen to a fighter in a round. After that threshold is passed, if he gets knockdown again, they will all be regular knockdowns where the opponent can go for the finish.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
-Straight punches having stopping power at close range.
I agree with this, I thought distance was gonna matter and landing punches at the right range. But it seems to have no effect.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
-Super sonic speed combo spam.
-Stamina system. Guys are throwing way too many punches a round.
-Head movement could be more responsive/smooth to deal with the rapid fire punches.
I completely agreed these.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »