Home

Finishes, fluidity and a few other things ruin the game for me.

This is a discussion on Finishes, fluidity and a few other things ruin the game for me. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Finishes, fluidity and a few other things ruin the game for me.

First, I love the new striking. It feels fair and looks like a real fight. Here's the things that I think need addressing somehow:

1. Fluidity.
The game just doesn't flow well between Striking, Clinching and and Grappling. Striking is fast and responsive for the most part, but then you get into this static clinch where both players are mostly stuck on the spot. It doesn't feel fluid at all going into this or once you're in it.

There's way too many instances in this game where it takes away control of the player for too long and to do something stupidly unrealistic. Some examples"

1. When you stuff the takedown and the defending fighter first pulls the player up with underhooks and then goes into a sprawl.

This whole sequence looks unrealistic and takes way, way too long. That isn't really how sprawls work or look. You wouldn't bring them up to standing and then out into a sprawl. Just have it so its a quick sprawl out and get it into the ground sprawl position fast like it should be.

2. Nearly all takedowns look unrealistic and take too long.

There's that power takedown where you pick up a leg and then sorta hip-bump and kick their leg out. This doesn't look like a takedown at all and it takes way, way too long.

They all generally have these problems. Even the basic single leg animation just takes way too long. Too many of the takedowns just feel like they're way too exaggerated and cartoony.

1. Finishes.
This is my biggest problem with the game. One of the most important things with game design is Outcome. In a game like this, the out come of play needs to be exciting if players are going to keep coming back.

At the moment it just isn't.

1. And this is also related to fluidity from earlier: I knock someone down and there's just this whole unrealistic, clunky, drawn out sequence of events that happen: The defender first has to reset from however he landed onto his back and facing me. Then I can hit him, which does this canned animation, then I'm in full mount throwing these slow punches.

None of it feels realistic at all. This whole thing needs to work faster and more realistically. I drop someone, I want to be able to jump on them immediately from whatever position. I don't want to lose control to the game and just wait for this whole sequence to play out.

2. The Finish the Fight/TKO's are awful. The camera zooms right in for some reason and you're just throwing this weird looking hammer fists or whatever that look like they're being pulled. There's just no drive through with them. There's also no real skill at all to this whether your attacking or defending. I mean, look at what UFC3 did in these situations. You could defend yourself on bottom and had to pick shots and still play with skill on top.

Finishing just looks and feels completely unrealistic. Let me knock someone down and go quickly into a new state where I'm throwing shots and they have to at least arm trap me or the ref stops the fight. I don't mean the whole thing into full mount. Just look at fights and see how the TKOs happen a lot of the time. Side control with knee on chest/stomach and throwing punches would work better.

3. The new knockdown animations. The ones where the player drops but then gets back: these shouldn't be in the game. I think they look good and realistic, but it terms of actual gameplay, they're annoying and just another example of control being taken away from players while they wait for yet another animation to play out. The attacker needs to be able to still land shots during these sequences. Just standing there waiting for the other guy to get up breaks flow, is unrealistic and needs to be addressed.

4. Why the hell are the walk-off/Knockout Zooms back in? People hated this in the previous games, so you guys changed it to let us jump on fighters to land more shots once they were out. Why change it back now?

Those are my observations. It probably sounds like I hate the game. I don't. There's plenty of nice things like striking and the new A.I (New A.I is freaking awesome), but I mean criticism does more to help make the game better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Finishes, fluidity and a few other things ruin the game for me.

Exactly this.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
Banned

Agree on the ko zoom in but I'm sure it'll be gone in the final version.

Finish the fight sequence is the best in years but the number of follow up punches needs to be tuned down a bit. That would make it a bit more realistic. Only 2-3 tuned down in some pos. Talking about positions I'd like to see more finish the fight sequences in the game.

A BLOCKING feature during the finish would make it even more realistic. Break the block and FINISH HIM with 2-5 follow up punches. 11 when Yamasaki is reffing. Lol
Old 12-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFINISHxHIMx
Agree on the ko zoom in but I'm sure it'll be gone in the final version.

Finish the fight sequence is the best in years but the number of follow up punches needs to be tuned down a bit. That would make it a bit more realistic. Only 2-3 tuned down in some pos. Talking about positions I'd like to see more finish the fight sequences in the game.

A BLOCKING feature during the finish would make it even more realistic. Break the block and FINISH HIM with 2-5 follow up punches. 11 when Yamasaki is reffing. Lol
Best in years? EA UFC 1 didn't have it right? And its the exact same as it was in EA UFC 2. It doesn't even compare to Undisputed3's.

Yep, it needs to be fleshed out. It was great in UFC3 how if you'd taken a lot of damage already, then the ref would stop the fight quicker.

At the moment, ground TKOs just feel like some drawn out thing that neither player has any input into.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
Rookie

the_brooklynite's Arena

I definitely agree. The game is fun and the direction the striking is going in is good. But everything else doesn't seem like it's evolved at all. The animations are a big part of the game for me and the excitement I had for how the ko's, tko's, knockdowns, finishes and the look of all other animations based on everything that was hyped with the new RPM tech is gone. I'm especially not a fan of the 1st stage of the active knockdown animation where they automatically get back up. While the animation itself looks cool sometimes, the fact that you can't chase them to them down with strikes or even try to attempt a submission, sucks. Movements and striking took a step forward. I feel like nothing else did.

Last edited by the_brooklynite; 12-02-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »