Home

About controls and responsiveness

This is a discussion on About controls and responsiveness within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #73
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: About controls and responsiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
Most, if not all of this, is about getting used to the speed of the actions and what combos and what doesn't.

Whenever a game doesn't rely on 6 frames twitchy arcadey strikes, a false sense of unresponsiveness will likely be there. And the more realistic the animations, the greater the bad illusion is likely to be, because realistic animations have longer and more subtle wind-ups, where it looks like the fighter isn't doing anything.
But even the quick strikes like jabs and crosses have unrealistically long wind up for me, and I'm not comparing to fighting games like Tekken, but to other MMA games. UFC2 didn't have it (except for the block), UD3 didn't have it and EA MMA didn't have it either if I remember correctly, so I wonder what changed
Old 12-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #74
MVP

Just a thought i had going round in my head, could the input lag be down to the new combo system, is it waiting for a combo as soon as you input a move, then after a period of time without inputing a second command it then releasing it as a single strike.

Could the input on headmovent be down to the ratings, if they increased the Hmvt stat for like a 70 rating to feel more like and 85 rating would this change the start up frames.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #75
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCB x Finlay
Just a thought i had going round in my head, could the input lag be down to the new combo system, is it waiting for a combo as soon as you input a move, then after a period of time without inputing a second command it then releasing it as a single strike.

Could the input on headmovent be down to the ratings, if they increased the Hmvt stat for like a 70 rating to feel more like and 85 rating would this change the start up frames.
No. Yes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2017, 12:55 AM   #76
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukEasy
Getting used to the speed isn't going to change anything. At the risk of sounding conceited, I have significantly higher than average reaction time and I could pretty much only play proactively rather than reactively. Which means the actions are either too slow or somehow delayed.
But that's the thing: making things a little faster wouldn't work either. Some combos were a bit too fast in the beta and people immediately called them out, saying that was too fast for LW. So that brings us back to the delay, which the devs say to not be there, when they look at the back end and such.

What is left is: the animations have a relatively long subtle beginning, where it may look and feel that nothing is going on, yet.

Hence: it's about getting used to the speed of things and (rare or limited) viability of full reaction set ups.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #77
Pro

Quote:
But that's the thing: making things a little faster wouldn't work either. Some combos were a bit too fast in the beta and people immediately called them out, saying that was too fast for LW. So that brings us back to the delay, which the devs say to not be there, when they look at the back end and such.
I'm not at all talking about combo speed.

What is left is: the animations have a relatively long subtle beginning, where it may look and feel that nothing is going on, yet.[/quote]

Gotta find that goldilocks speed.

Quote:
Hence: it's about getting used to the speed of things and (rare or limited) viability of full reaction set ups.
Nah. We always fall back to this but it's because it's true.. FNC did it. So I believe we can find a proper sweetspot here too.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #78
MVP

Quote:
No. Yes.
I realized this but I was meaning if the overall stats were buffed it would remove the perceived input lag on most fighters.

And is there a mechanism to the conbo system to stop this, as there was no input lag last year for strikes.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:33 AM   #79
EA Game Changer

MartialMind's Arena

Quote:

What is left is: the animations have a relatively long subtle beginning, where it may look and feel that nothing is going on, yet.

I personally really don't like this. I figured the wind-up was the issue.

Just curious, would things look weird if they shaved off some of that "Long subtle beginning" but still keep the speed of the strike thesame by maybe extending the length of the "Execution"?

So kinda like this:

Image21.jpg

VS

Image22.jpg

Just so that our eyes can see something clearly happening sooner after we input the command than it is right now? Like I can get used to strikes not reaching the target sooner than I expect, but I do wanna see the STRIKE animation begin as soon as possible so that things don't feel delayed.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the strikes in UFC3 felt like the power version of strikes in FNC.

For someone like Conor for example... I want his straight to feel like this:

I input the command, I see the strike animation begin right away.

As opposed to the power version which feels delayed because of the wind-up.

BTW this is with Ali, a very fast fighter. It feels even worse with slower fighters.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #80
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Yup. If anything could be done, my bet would be on this.

It would have to be very subtle, though, or the strikes could end up looking less explosive. That longer execution time would mean the actual swing would be slower.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »