Home

Ground game and stamina watching

This is a discussion on Ground game and stamina watching within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Ground game and stamina watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
As a guy who is obsessed with BJJ, the ground game in EA UFC 2-3 is by far the most video gamey aspect of the game.

I basically avoid the ground in these games, which is crazy because i'm obsessed with grappling IRL.

"Grapple Advantage" is one of most unrealistic, video gamey, bogus mechanics i've ever seen.

Horribly animated "fakes"....

OP is right.
Yes! It's almost like the game was made by the fans who BOO every time there's a clinch or take down. Stand and bang, bro, is all I wanted to do during the beta because the clinch felt like it was stuck in mud, and the grappling felt like a mini-game in an MMA mobile app that you download and delete after taking a dump.

Maybe EA needs to bring in Sportchangers in addition to Gamechangers to make sure the game is actually playing like the sport it's supposed to emulate. It's so frustrating that this is what we present to casual fans/videogamers as a representation of our sport. It only encourages the belief that the ground is boring, and the only exciting fights are the one's on the feet.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossfan8480
Yes! It's almost like the game was made by the fans who BOO every time there's a clinch or take down. Stand and bang, bro, is all I wanted to do during the beta because the clinch felt like it was stuck in mud, and the grappling felt like a mini-game in an MMA mobile app that you download and delete after taking a dump.

Maybe EA needs to bring in Sportchangers in addition to Gamechangers to make sure the game is actually playing like the sport it's supposed to emulate. It's so frustrating that this is what we present to casual fans/videogamers as a representation of our sport. It only encourages the belief that the ground is boring, and the only exciting fights are the one's on the feet.

Agreed, as a guy who has done BJJ for close to 20 years I hate the ground game on all 3 EA UFC games. It is repetitive, slow and boring for representing one of the most fun and exciting sports in the world. Filling up bars and laying there waiting for your opponent to transition is not representative in the least of the 10-20 things going on at once in real grappling. Plus I can go 20 minutes straight on the ground without gassing, it isn't even tiring to get a transition denied, the only thing that is tiring is a failed submission attempt or a ground and pound beating.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Nothing about how the ground is executed in EA UFC is interesting at all, nor is it skillful. The game of watching bars fill up just doesn't do it for me. I really don't see how guys who primarily play on the ground take much satisfaction in it.

You don't know how much I would love to shoot for takedowns, take people down, and do some work in these games. I'm a striker at heart, but I enjoy watching Jiu-Jitsu very much. It's just so poorly done that it kills my interest.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
Banned

The meta for the grappling on EA UFC 2 (and presumably EA UFC 3) will always reward patience. Being said, I feel UFC 3's meta for high level grappling is going to be slightly more active, since non-GA transitions are faster and passing guard (or retaining it) can generally be done without spending excessive time building GA

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #13
MVP

Trillz's Arena

Also they need to get rid of the GA bar for UT and ranked!
Old 12-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
As a guy who is obsessed with BJJ, the ground game in EA UFC 2-3 is by far the most video gamey aspect of the game.

I basically avoid the ground in these games, which is crazy because i'm obsessed with grappling IRL.

"Grapple Advantage" is one of most unrealistic, video gamey, bogus mechanics i've ever seen.

Horribly animated "fakes"....

OP is right.
And besides all of that, probably half (if not more) of the animations you see on the ground in these games, you'll never or very rarely see in a real UFC fight. There's such a weightlessness when it comes to the ground game. Calling it "video gamey" is the perfect term.

Anyone can do anything to anyone on the ground. Want to do a triangle choke? Just hold a stick. And your legs will wrap around your opponents head. Because triangle chokes are super simple like that. Want to stand up from your back, grab your opponents leg, and take him down into his guard in one stupid animation? Just deny, and you get all of that from denying, no matter what yours or their stamina or physical condition or skill level is.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #15
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
In theory, I guess I could see how someone would think this is how high level ground play goes, but in reality it doesn't.

Yes, sometimes there is waiting but not every time. Real high level play involves faking transitions and another thing you forgot that makes transitions easier to execute and not be denied, grapple advantage. GA allows you to build up if the opponent is just waiting. Or even better if they strike from the postured position so you can block and gain even more.

Another thing is momentum advantage which will get you out of tough spots unless they preemptively deny.

One thing I will agree with though is having a big stat advantage can turn it into a waiting game. If you have Khabib it can be almost impossible to get off the bottom. But, Edson vs. Conor would never be like that.
As someone who trains BJJ as well I'm not looking to see if my opponent is gassed or not (that's very apparent when it happens). I am looking for finishes and I don't care how much "stamina" my opponent has I'm going for a finish if it's available and their cardio level has little to no bearing as to whether or not I'll get the finish (if it's available).

The stamina bar should be hidden and should be mindful of how many denies you've landed - how much body work you've done. It's absolutely silly that you can see exactly where the opponent is at and target subs based upon this soley.

Last edited by Find_the_Door; 12-08-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #16
MVP

Trillz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
As someone who trains BJJ as well I'm not looking to see if my opponent is gassed or not (that's very apparent when it happens). I am looking for finishes and I don't care how much "stamina" my opponent has I'm going for a finish if it's available and their cardio level has little to no bearing as to whether or not I'll get the finish (if it's available).

The stamina bar should be hidden and should be mindful of how many denies you've landed - how much body work you've done. It's absolutely silly that you can see exactly where the opponent is at and target subs based upon this soley.
I agree 100% if the opponent stamina bar is hidden it will change the ground game much more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »