Home

GPD... The controls...

This is a discussion on GPD... The controls... within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #1
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

OVR: 0
GPD... The controls...

Since the game is coming out soon I just wanna clarify whether or not the controls can be changed at all. I'm not the only one having problems and I think many others will once they start trying the more complicated inputs more regularly. I have pretty thin fingers and trying to input some of the controls is a nightmare.

It seems like if you don't press all the buttons at the same time... the strike won't come out right. For instance, uppercuts to the body rarely come out right for me and practice doesn't seem to change this (it works like 25% of the time). They keep coming out as body kicks. It's like I'm pressing one of the buttons a millisecond later than the other two so it doesn't register.

I understand changing the controls is unlikely at this point so was wondering if it's possible that you don't have to press them all at EXACTLY the same time? Because I'm definitely pressing the right three buttons... Just not at exactly the same time. Is there any way around this at all?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
MVP

Re: GPD... The controls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
Since the game is coming out soon I just wanna clarify whether or not the controls can be changed at all. I'm not the only one having problems and I think many others will once they start trying the more complicated inputs more regularly. I have pretty thin fingers and trying to input some of the controls is a nightmare.

It seems like if you don't press all the buttons at the same time... the strike won't come out right. For instance, uppercuts to the body rarely come out right for me and practice doesn't seem to change this. They keep coming out as body kicks. It's like I'm pressing one of the buttons a millisecond later than the other two so it doesn't register.

I understand changing the controls is unlikely at this point so was wondering if it's possible that you don't have to press them all at EXACTLY the same time? Because I'm definitely pressing the right three buttons... Just not at exactly the same time. Is there any way around this at all?
I had this with uppercuts and leg kicks occasionally, but I was surprised at how used to the controls I'd gotten after 3-4 days. I thought they were going to be a nightmare for me (I usually suck at remembering inputs)

I definitely still had the odd input issue with multi-button strikes, strikes canceling when I didn't want them too (I may have been instinctively brushing R2 however)

But someone recently made a post about how the controls could be naturally uncomfortable for right handed people, and I'm a left, so that might explain why I actually prefer the R2+L2 block and am pretty comfy with L1+L2 inputs.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

The controls will not change before launch.

There is a one frame window to hit the buttons out of sync.

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Rookie

Allzo's Arena

I like the controls but my only gripe is that often I would try and use my push kick (L2+L1+Square+X) and it would only register sometimes. Other times it would try and deliver a hook (I think) to the body despite pressing the same buttons.

Maybe it changes relating to distance or something? Hopefully someone can clarify this.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
MVP

Yeah, I think the window on the double face buttons should be a little more generous, although I'm not sure how that'd work with input lag etc but not necessarily with the body/technique modifiers. I didn't have too many problems with uppercuts to the head or any of the head kicks that required the two face buttons.

It feels like the controls can only handle 3 inputs well, and it's the 4th input that makes it a nightmare from what I can remember, as an example front kicks to the head and body. The front kick to the head is 3 buttons (l1, triangle+circle) and the front kick to the body is 4 (l2,l1,triangle+circle) and I can't remember ever getting an uppercut when I wanted to throw it to the head but can remember getting a lot of weird stuff trying to throw it to the body, like round kicks, hooks and uppercuts.

I don't know what the issue is, if the slight input lag that seemed to be in the beta was causing this, or if inputs where buffering weird and honestly the failure rate isn't too bad (maybe 15% of the time), but it'd be awesome if this was tightened up for release.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
Rookie

The controls become easier after you get use to them.i wasnt a fan of them at first tv but i lile them now and unfortunately since the right stick controls movement you cant map jabs and hooks to the square button.but give it sometime i think you'll get used to it
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
MVP

Yaari's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget7211
Yeah, I think the window on the double face buttons should be a little more generous, although I'm not sure how that'd work with input lag etc but not necessarily with the body/technique modifiers. I didn't have too many problems with uppercuts to the head or any of the head kicks that required the two face buttons.

It feels like the controls can only handle 3 inputs well, and it's the 4th input that makes it a nightmare from what I can remember, as an example front kicks to the head and body. The front kick to the head is 3 buttons (l1, triangle+circle) and the front kick to the body is 4 (l2,l1,triangle+circle) and I can't remember ever getting an uppercut when I wanted to throw it to the head but can remember getting a lot of weird stuff trying to throw it to the body, like round kicks, hooks and uppercuts.

I don't know what the issue is, if the slight input lag that seemed to be in the beta was causing this, or if inputs where buffering weird and honestly the failure rate isn't too bad (maybe 15% of the time), but it'd be awesome if this was tightened up for release.
The more generous it is on double face buttons, the more input lag you'd see on any other strike, I'd imagine.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaari
The more generous it is on double face buttons, the more input lag you'd see on any other strike, I'd imagine.
Yeah, that's why I'm not sure how to or even if you could "fix" it without breaking something else.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »