Home

Hit Buffering for UFC 4

This is a discussion on Hit Buffering for UFC 4 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Hit Buffering for UFC 4

Hey guys hows it going? This is just an idea thats been stuck in my head forever. im a boxer that has been playing fight night/ ufc games since day 1 and this is one of the main things that has forever needed to be implemented in my opinion and id like to hear your thoughts on it.

the main problem i have with these games is there is only block or not block, hit or no hit. now i know that not all hits are equal in that if you get hit moving away you take less damage in the recent ufc games, this is a step in the right direction but still a lot missing to this.

when you land a clean perfect counter haymaker on someones jaw there is not a single difference in animation between a punch that would end up koing a fighter or a punch that the fighter eats for lunch. same with headkicks, the kick either rocks or koes you or you eat it like a bowl of salad.

for this i recommend implementing a temporary quick weak full bodyblock. this is the missing link for me in defense. there is only high or low blocks right now so you either block a move or you dont. lets say someone is spamming kicks and you cant tell if they are coming high or low. normally when you miss the game says hey this guys is spamming this kick is going to land perfect but it wont rock you cause the guy is spamming. the game shows you getting obliterated with kicks and getting shinned in the head but from a gameplay balance standpoint youre still fine and in the fight cause the other guy isnt any good hes just a spammer

a weak full body block would allow you to absorb that strike in a more realistic way with your character trying to roll with the strike but still taking some damage. also you wouldnt be able to keep holding the weak block as you still need to time it and its still really weak basically the block from fight night champion but much weaker. that way if youre amazing at defense you can deal with spam better and it will be harder to land crazy bombs on fighters that are much harder to hit in real life. you use the weak block for quick stuff and the high low for slow power shots you can see coming

also when you hit someone with a clean hard strike especially if they are out of position it should rock them every single time at least unless the fighter has a legendary chin. theres too many instances of guys eating perfectly placed headkicks and overhands especially guys with weak or average chins because of the game balance. its just not realistic at all. if you want a guy to survive a headkick with no damage i need to see the fighter at least roll or lean with the kick not just stand there and eat it full force

Last edited by banghart; 12-07-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Hit Buffering for UFC 4

also another unrelated complaint but high level strikers need to be able to move their head and block at the same time. I know a lot of guys in ufc cant do this but its super common in striking
Old 12-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Rookie

basically what im saying is that significant impacts should mean more than they do and when a fighter eats a ridiculously hard strike i would like some visual confirmation that they softened the blow somehow. instead of a clean power strike landing and it just feels like its based on randomness if that strike rocks them or not.

any input guys? "hey you are wrong because x" or "hey i like this idea" lol

am i way off here. am i the only one that cares about this kind of thing?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #4
Pro

Hit Buffering for UFC 4

New ideas and hypothetical mechanics are for all intent and purposes, irrelevant at this time. We're in a post beta phase for UFC 3, and with the issues pertaining to the current game we all just had a chance to play, the focus is balancing, tuning and bug fixing for UFC 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #5
Rookie

UFC 4? Ufc 3 isn't even out yet. Screw off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #6
Rookie

the next game is about to be made soon if it isnt already. this is exactly the time to be talking about these things

for the record i think the game is great. ufc 3 is dope af. im just talking about ufc 4
Old 12-08-2017, 02:42 AM   #7
Banned

Let me try to clarify what you're saying.

When it comes to the visual outcomes in striking defense, instead of just 'block' and 'no block (eat shot)', you propose an additional "weak full-body block".

This additional block would accomplish two things:

1. Address the unrealistic appearance of unblocked strikes having no effect. Fighters could at least appear to be making some visual effort to deflect the blow. Players would still have to see the strike coming and execute the weak block, but this would nonetheless decrease the frequency of witnessing entirely unblocked strikes landing flush with no effect. (Sidenote: under this proposed system, if no effort at all- weak block or anything - is made to block a powerful strike, it should be instant knock down or KO)

2. Introduce a potentially desirable and refreshing defensive mechanic. Assuming you see an explosive spinning strike coming, instead of figuring out exactly where it's going to hit your body, you could sort of shell up and "brace for impact", if you will. This would slightly reduce damage from the strike. For competitive game balance's sake, let's say the block would only protect you from the first two strikes, certain combos break through instantly, and double the speed of your opponents takedown attempts. This would provide a sort of "last ditch option" to players unable to predict if a strike is going high or low, while providing offensive opportunities for the attacker.

Sorry if I'm way off OP, I think I hear what you're saying and it's a decent idea for a future game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
Rookie

yes that is exactly what im saying lol. thank you

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »