Home

about the KO zoom

This is a discussion on about the KO zoom within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
about the KO zoom

I remember that many ppl had complained about the Ko zoom when came out ea ufc2 beta. Thankfully, they removed the KO zoom in the final product via one day patch. It was great feedback, imo.

but, EA UFC2's Non KO zoom looked not good unlike my expectation. because we couldn't distinguish between Knockout from Knockdown. Both were looked perfectly the same by ragdoll physics. second issue is the camera view. It was always rotate to the front view when the finish the fight scenes. Its really bad, imo.

What's the problem with UFC2's Non KO zoom.
  • we couldn't distinguish between Knockout from Knockdown
  • always rotate to the front view in the finish the fight. every time perfectly the same camera angle in that time. Its really boring and bad.
  • Lose impact while the camera rotate the front view. Finish the fight should give more impact to us.
Here are some examples following list.
- Always.. always it rotate to the front view in the finish the fight scenes. the camera rotation only needs to just Knock-down because the gameplay keep going to the ground position as full guard. But We DON'T need the camera rotation in Knock-out & finish the fight scenes. Its very unnecessary thing. It looks unnatural and very unrealistic, imo. We need multiple camera angles as front view, back view, side view to appropriate for each situation. It has to be more naturally than now.

Here are some examples that the finish the fight scenes in IRL.
- Lets compare with up & down gifs. the camera NEVER gonna rotate to the front view in the FTF scenes like EA UFC2. These are looks way more naturally, imo. There are various camera view to appropriate for each situation. I'd like to say again, We DON'T need the camera rotation in Knock-out scenes.

so.. I'd like to say that We need the KO zoom. but It should be a slight zoom. Current one is too much and the camera angle is fixed to only Knocked out fighter.

What's the problem with current KO zoom.
  • the zoom looks too much. Its very exaggerated.
  • the camera angle is fixed to only Knocked out fighter.
Here is a good example following list. I really hate exaggerated zoom because It kills the moment as finish the fight. It looks terrible!!! What was worse, we can't the FTF with this zoom and skip to celebration cut-scene automatically in the beta. Its completely awful.

About the slight KO zoom

What is the benefits of the slightly KO zoom in my opinion.
  • Slight KO zoom can be a solution for distinguish between Knockout from Knockdown.
  • Slight KO zoom can be a solution that cover up there is NO refs stoppage animation in the finish the fight scenes.
  • Slight KO zoom can be a solution that cover up there is a few delays drive into the ground for the finish the fight.
  • Slight KO zoom give us more impact in the Finish the fight.
  • We DON'T need the camera rotation to the front view in the finish the fight. We need multiple camera angles as front view, back view, side view to appropriate for each situation. Slight KO zoom can be a good solution for that.

Here are some example following list. This gifs are from the beta. I think, these look so good. There's NO exaggerated zoom and There's NO camera rotate to the front view in the finish the fight. So much naturally and feels realistic like IRL.
but, It still have some problems and Needs to be tweaked
  • the camera zoom should be more slightly than gifs. It looks still too much.
  • the camera zoom is still fixed to knocked-out fighter. Its really bad. the camera angle should be focus on both fighters.
  • the camera movement needs to be tweaked.
- back view

- side view

About the camera movement

the camera movment should be more dynamically when KOs & finish the fight sequence. Please DON'T focus on only knocked-out fighter. Its really bad. the camera angle should be focus on both fighters in that time.

Here is a good example about that. This gif is from Undisputed3. the camera movement looks great in KOed & finish the fight sequence. I really love this. I really hope that EA UFC devs should make their "dynamic camera movement" for KOs & finish the fight moments like this gif. It would be make the game way more fun.

Anyway, I'd like to check this point.
  • the camera angle is change to the "bird eye view" when someone KOed moment. I think, this is important thing for the camera moving to be dynamically. We need a "bird eye view" when someone KOed moment. It would be a good solution that solve the KO zoom.

Here is another example. UD3 had great camera movement for KOs & finish the fight.

These gifs are captured from PES2018. The camera movement looks awesome. This case show us that a good camera movement can make the gameplay more great.

more examples here...
Spoiler

I don't know what is the exact solution but I wish they would make dynamic camera movement for KOs & finish the fight. Thank you for reading!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Re: about the KO zoom

Question: do you like the bird's eye view because you think it's the best presentation option for the moment, or is it just because UD3 has it and it's something you're familiar with and can show examples of?
Old 12-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
MVP

I'm really not trying to be a bad guy here, but I have a very hard time reading detailed responses when the writer speaks English as a second language. tissues and SUGATA might have good points, but it's difficult to really interpret the things they say.

That being said, I think I get the gist of the idea. Knockdowns and KOs are basically indistinguishable in your opinion?

I don't think that's very high on the list of things to worry about. If you can keep moving, it's a knockdown. That's all the tell I need. Rotating the camera in a FtF moment? No issue whatsoever. I actually like that idea and its implementation in UFC 2 as it keeps the focus on the action.

KO zoom is absolutely atrocious though. The bird's eye view is a nice solution that we are familiar with. I don't think there is anything wrong with seeing something we already know, but like better.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Question: do you like the bird's eye view because you think it's the best presentation option for the moment, or is it just because UD3 has it and it's something you're familiar with and can show examples of?
Of course i'm not "tissues" but I feel almost anything at the moment would work better then the "KO zoom" that was used in the beta, but it's not just the KO zoom that spoils the ending of fights in my opinion.

The beta zoom mixed with control being yanked away kills any sort of momentum from the ending of the fights and as tissues stated, removes any sort of tension from the end of fights overall.

Fighters don't jump on their knocked out opponent and rain down punches to try inflict more damage, they do it because they can't take the risk of letting their opponent recover and unless it's a rare walk away KO, don't genially know if their opponent is actually knocked out or not, so why are we always given walk off KOs when they're so rare and realistically would keep punching until the ref stopped the fight?
Old 12-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
MVP

Yaari's Arena

It's a long post but I agree for the most part. The zoom function is pretty much what the replay should be showing us.

Maybe it is worth running a poll how people feel about the 2. When those 2 are put against another I'd have to agree that I like the longer distance one better.

The replay can take care of the close distance replay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
MVP

I think KO zoom should be canned entirely and striking the downed opponent be an option, or just walking off, even though the FOTF strikes look robotic as of the beta, in a lot of my knockouts, I only KNEW it was a KO because of the zoom, as the strike that caused the KO didn't look particularly significant (jabs, and grazing straights and hooks, for example) and follow up strikes felt like the natural course of action, but weren't allowed, leading to a jarring end to a great fight.

I used Mendes/Edgar as an example in another thread, but there are several, I'm sure everyone has seen a fight where one guy has landed a light looking knockout shot, not realised the opponent is completely out and jumped on them.

I'm not gonna do it after a flush headkick KO, but I definitely think it should be in there for immersion sake at the least. Having a firefight end in a jab and you only realise its over because the camera has zoomed in on your opponent kinda breaks the amazing feeling a good war can generate in UFC 3.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:56 AM   #7
Banned

There was nothing wrong with the camera angles in UFC2.
The final KO cam was perfect just stick with that pls.

The UFC 3 fighting cam should also be changed to UFC 2s, cause the new view on the fighters doesn't really help.

I think the new movement of UFC3 and the fight camera of UFC 2 make a good pair.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:09 AM   #8
EA Game Changer

ZombieRommel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroZeppelin27
I think KO zoom should be canned entirely and striking the downed opponent be an option, or just walking off, even though the FOTF strikes look robotic as of the beta, in a lot of my knockouts, I only KNEW it was a KO because of the zoom, as the strike that caused the KO didn't look particularly significant (jabs, and grazing straights and hooks, for example) and follow up strikes felt like the natural course of action, but weren't allowed, leading to a jarring end to a great fight.

I used Mendes/Edgar as an example in another thread, but there are several, I'm sure everyone has seen a fight where one guy has landed a light looking knockout shot, not realised the opponent is completely out and jumped on them.

I'm not gonna do it after a flush headkick KO, but I definitely think it should be in there for immersion sake at the least. Having a firefight end in a jab and you only realise its over because the camera has zoomed in on your opponent kinda breaks the amazing feeling a good war can generate in UFC 3.
I really don't like having jabs and running jabs ending fights. I'm probably the biggest proponent ever that there should be a strong jab in the game, but the way you can finish fights with it in UFC3 really rubs me the wrong way, especially when it's not even part of a flurry -- you just rock someone and running-jab them into a grave. It's like "Really?"

If I had my druthers about how fight-ending sequences went, this is how they'd go:

- Jabs cannot KO. A stiff counter jab can knockdown if the opponent is beat up or off balance (throwing a kick)

- There is no KO zoom at all.

- There are variable KO states. Sometimes the guy stiffens out like a board, and you know for sure he's out (like the Barboza vs Etim wheel kick). Other times the guy will wobble down and be too concussed to stand even if he tries -- like how often times a guy gets walloped in the temple and his equilibrium puts him on fish legs and he face plants if he tries to stand. That should be a KO regardless, but we should have the option to walk off if we want.

- Punch inputs will allow us to instantly start punching an opponent who is falling or has fallen. Right now we have to wait for the opponent to fall down flat, or else our punches hit air (and look silly, like we're fighting an invisible man). There should be some "transition FTF animations" where we start throwing short uppercuts or hammerfists AS the guy is falling. This will allow a smooth sequence to occur as we follow the guy to the ground with punches and never stop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »