Home

Terrible UFC 3 Animations That Should Be Changed - MartialMind

This is a discussion on Terrible UFC 3 Animations That Should Be Changed - MartialMind within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

OVR: 0
Terrible UFC 3 Animations That Should Be Changed - MartialMind

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Terrible UFC 3 Animations That Should Be Changed - MartialMind

I agree with most of what he says here. I do disagree with the over hand while moving side to side. I think it's fine. The short jabs and straight animations are awful and annoying. One thing he didn't mention though, when he plays the Shane Carwin lunging strike clip, it looks almost exactly like when you hold left stick forward and flick the right stick forward and throw a punch. I constantly used the new locomotion and head movement controls as lunges instead of the actual lunges in the game. If you use the left stick and right stick in the same direction it acts more like a lunge than just head movement. I was able to land lunging hooks with Eddie Alvarez with this technique and it was my favorite technique to throw with him.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:19 PM   #3
Rookie

The short jab and straights make sense right now, you can't throw a jab and a straight that close of your opponent, the damage should be reduced more tho.

But i agree about the elbows and the signature conor straight looks like a bug. If you move forward doing elbow, the character should step forward like jones does in the video.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:20 AM   #4
Banned

Acebaldwin's Arena

I don,t agree at all with the strikes needing to halt when being thrown when circling.

Many strikers throw low, mid and yes, even high kicks while moving sideways, it's just that it's usually done after setting them up with jabs or checked hooks while circling to the outside and following up with the momentum. Throwing them while circling to the inside would of course result in you being pretty damn vulnerable as your balance would be all messed up, but that's what the animations from that side looks like to me anyway.

The animations could be better, but in no way should there be a pause added to it unless you stop yourself. There's a reason why in kickboxing and Muay Thai you see a lot of drills where you circle out, or even circle in when throwing low kicks and mid kicks while leaning in your strike which creates a angle. The same can basically be applied to high kicks.

Just a quick gif that shows a little of what I'm talking about thrown by Pettis:

He ain't static when he throws it due to Barboza circling to his right, so he goes in, sets it up and throw it while keeping up with Barboza circling out. when he throws it, you can tell he doesn't have the same balance, nor the same speed in recuperating from it because of him not being static when thrown.

There's one here with Holloway,

Leads in with a hook while circling out and throwing the mid kick, see how he ain't stationnary but going with the momentum of his side step and hook? If he had missed it'd looks pretty similar to what we see in game, but of course it is a game and the animations could be better, but a again, no halt/pause are needed..
Thomson:

Circles IN with a ducking roundhouse high kick

Those arn't the best gifs and I'm sure there'd be much better exemples in kickboxing and muay thai, but just imagine someone basically circling out with a double jab followed up with a mid, low or high kick, unless he absolutely wants to stop in his track and throw a stationnary kick, he'll just throw it while keeping up with the momentum and turn in his strike.

At 14:33 of Martialmind's video (just click on it and it'll send you right to the part i'm talking about)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...qmuQQ#t=14m33s

The animations could be better, but it is what it is and does look similar as what it should be, those arn't stationnary strikes, nor should they be. No pause needed. The recuperation from the kick is already longer if missed, and I'm thinking the vulrnerability window is the same deal too.

Throwing these strikes in the middle of the octagon without any set up and missing will of course look super bad. There's no "ballerina thing". Thats' just goofy to say.

That's one big thing I hope to god won't be touched by the devs unless it's to mocap the kicks better, but I'll say it as many times as needed, no pause needed. Now I'm kinda scared that because he's a gamechanger people will just agree with him and devs will see the sheeps he has on youtube, and act on it. Please don't. Please remember that whoever did that mocap had a reason to throw it that way, talk to actual fighters you guys interact with if you have to, I'm 100% sure of what I'm talking about. Kicks arn't thrown solely from a stationary position.

Might as well say that I also don't agree that Conor should throw the celtic cross (as you devs call it in-game) whenever he throws that straight. Or any fighters that have unique basic strikes, really.

Last edited by Acebaldwin; 12-18-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Definitely agree about the elbows. You can be right in the guys face sometime and not land for whatever weird reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
Banned

I agree that we need more striking animations but I dont agree with most fighters have the “good form” ones.

Most MMA fighters have poor striking and their form shows it. He was pretty much using the elite striking as examples for what everyone’s strikes should look like.

Most dudes dont strikes like Silva, Overeem, Connor etc
Old 12-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #7
Rookie

One animation problem that he forgot to mention is the way every fighter looks down to the ground when throwing a punch. Looks really weird, especially when throwing jabs.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

The elbows obviously need to be changed because it's more or less a glitch. I agree that we should be seeing wide hooks with some fighters too. However, the problem is with that is if they keep the same damage... they might be OP. If you could throw hooks like Overeem does irl for instance, i'm not sure how much incentive there would be to even throw straight punches. If they got the recovery frames right for the long hooks it could definitely work though. They should leave you quite a lot more exposed than straight punches.

I think Diaz did actually have longer hooks in the beta. It was very, very hard to get away from him against a good player when you were hurt and they were spamming straight punches and hooks. I could barely actually tell in the moment which punch was what.

I still think the overhand is goofy as hell but as long as it's a rare punch in game and there's much more incentive to throw a tight overhand it will probably be okay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »