Home

Head Movement: Final Boss Thread

This is a discussion on Head Movement: Final Boss Thread within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #33
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Head Movement: Final Boss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I think very few people dont want it in at all. There is a group that wants it in for every fighter. A group that wants it in for some fighters. I'm in the second group but I also dont want it to be tacked on and rushed just because a vocal group of people want FNC style head movement.

One thing that completely doesnt work for me is the realism vs. freedom issue. You want to be free to fight like Floyd with whoever even if it isnt successful, right?

My issue is its a bad look for the game to have you using 360 head movement while using Tim Johnson or Evan Dunham. There should be a clear visual difference depending on who you use. In order to have that clear difference, 360 head movement should only be given to the people who actually utilize that movement in real life. Just like we wouldnt give someone a spinning back kick who doesnt use it in real life.

If we do that it really only leaves 5% of the fighters who would use this feature which is a fine addition if the devs have time but there are so many other things that I would tackle first.
Put me in the camp that wants everyone to have it to some extent. This is where the levels of fluidity would come in. Brock Lesnar has the physical capability to move in any direction, but you would look foolish trying to formulate a strategy with him that involved trying to dodge punches. His movements should be very slow and almost just a survival method with that kind of control.

For your example, Dunham should move nothing like Tim Elliot. Those fighters that have displayed this technique on a regular basis should be most suitable for fighting while using a lot of head movement.

I get what you're saying about fighters having signature attacks, but I don't feel like head movement and someone throwing a caopiera kick are in the same category.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #34
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Put me in the camp that wants everyone to have it to some extent. This is where the levels of fluidity would come in. Brock Lesnar has the physical capability to move in any direction, but you would look foolish trying to formulate a strategy with him that involved trying to dodge punches. His movements should be very slow and almost just a survival method with that kind of control.

For your example, Dunham should move nothing like Tim Elliot. Those fighters that have displayed this technique on a regular basis should be most suitable for fighting while using a lot of head movement.

I get what you're saying about fighters having signature attacks, but I don't feel like head movement and someone throwing a caopiera kick are in the same category.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
It doesnt just have to be signature attacks. I've seen posts from people here mad because a fighter has an overhand when he never throws one in real life. This forum is always arguing about how things should be hyper realistic but we would be ok with every fighters having the same ability (not speed) to use 360 head movement to avoid strikes.

Also its not likely as easy as to add some think it is (not saying you think its easy to add). Off the top of my head, here are my questions:

- How much stamina is drained from using 360 HM? How much short term v. long term?

- How much vulnerability? More than using the current head movement? Less? How much grapple advantage?

- Does the team even have the animations for it? How do they look? Do they flow well with strikes?

- Any AI changes needed for them to use the 360 head movement?

All those questions need to be answered (and likely more) before this is even considered. I'm not saying that they cant be answered. It just will be alot of work.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #35
Banned

Acebaldwin's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
It doesnt just have to be signature attacks. I've seen posts from people here mad because a fighter has an overhand when he never throws one in real life. This forum is always arguing about how things should be hyper realistic but we would be ok with every fighters having the same ability (not speed) to use 360 head movement to avoid strikes.

Also its not likely as easy as to add some think it is (not saying you think its easy to add). Off the top of my head, here are my questions:

- How much stamina is drained from using 360 HM? How much short term v. long term?

- How much vulnerability? More than using the current head movement? Less? How much grapple advantage?

- Does the team even have the animations for it? How do they look? Do they flow well with strikes?

- Any AI changes needed for them to use the 360 head movement?

All those questions need to be answered (and likely more) before this is even considered. I'm not saying that they cant be answered. It just will be alot of work.
And basically something to be added in a whishlist topic for UFC 4. No way am I believing they'd have time implementing that in the month and a half remaining.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #36
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukEasy
Can I answer this?
- Sure.

The set distance for the current slips is irrelevant. It's not having the freedom to decide for myself how far I want to slip that's the problem.
- Are you sure it's irrelevant? Do you want the addition of shorter slips or longer ones?

Because moving a little means risking moving too little. In which case this happens.
- So it would be about pressig the stick always to like... 30%?

There's no way you can lean at an angle that will dodge all punches, kicks, knees and elbows one can throw.
- How would diagonal leans work for you? Would they combine the evasion of ducking and side-leaning?

Yes.
- Did you already get used to slips in EA UFC 3?
Old 12-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukEasy
To add to what I previously said. Going into a defensive shell and just avoiding and blocking punches to weather a storm is a pretty common thing.

So we should also be able block while moving our head.

Most recent example:

He's not just blocking, he's not just moving his head. He's doing both.

Pro's
- You're really hard to hit.

Con's
- More tiring than just head movement or blocking.
- Even more susceptible to take-downs, clinching, leg kicks, body shots
- No offensive ability at all
- If something does manage to connect clean, it should be the equivalent of a counter hit

The ones you don't see coming are the ones that hurt you the most.

Example of people getting moving their head and blocking at the same time but getting hit anyway. Spoiler alert, they have a bad time.

On top of being realistic it would prevent this tactic from being overpowered & abused.

This and your first post have essentially articulated all my points on head movement better than I ever could, so good job and thanks for saving me some copy pasta haha.

But in all seriousness, I've been super vocal on this, and GPDs mention of considering it as a secondary line of defense made me have to change my underwear.

But while the UFC 3 system isn't perfect, ill give it credit where credit is due, it still felt better than any other MMA games head movement, even with those input issues in the beta. I think if they knock off those frames that just cause input lag and made it so your character began swaying with the input. And the range of the sway was dictated by their stat, not the delay, wed have a nice compromise that gives us a far closer to reactive head movement, without requiring a total overhaul of the current system.

As sadly, while I'm no developer, once I heard that FNC was analouge accuracy vs UFC 3s digital, Martial Mind explained the difference excellently in another post, but this change within itself MAY make true FNC style, reactive 360* headmovement impossible to incorporate with the new accuracy system. Which, when oversimplifyed, is basically "X dodges Y, Y counters Z and Z beats X".

Just my thoughts, but as time goes on I think more and more I need to play the final game before truly jumping on the "this HAS to be changed" train.
Even though I think it should be, I don't want it to change if its just gonna.break the game.or.something, i'd rather wait.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #38
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
The deterrent doesnt mean its not ugly to look at though. The fact is there are maybe 5 UFC fighters that use head movement like this. Adding it to every one would encourage people to use it and adding it to only 5 fighters would be alot of work for very little benefit.
So is people spamming 1-2s. So is people spamming any kind of strike. The player is in control at the end of the day. MMA fighters are capable of bobbing and weaving recklessly. They just don't because they'd get KO'd or taken down.

Just wanna say I'm very grateful that people are being really vocal about this now. It's quite obviously something that could do with improvement. I think the striking game has come leaps and bounds but reaching perfection (or something close to it) was never going to happen in a couple of years.

As long as people continue to be vocal about this... I'm sure it will be changed at some point : )
Old 12-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #39
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Head Movement: Final Boss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
So is people spamming 1-2s. So is people spamming any kind of strike. The player is in control at the end of the day. MMA fighters are capable of bobbing and weaving recklessly. They just don't because they'd get KO'd or taken down.

Just wanna say I'm very grateful that people are being really vocal about this now. It's quite obviously something that could do with improvement. I think the striking game has come leaps and bounds but reaching perfection (or something close to it) was never going to happen in a couple of years.

As long as people continue to be vocal about this... I'm sure it will be changed at some point : )

Most mma fighters are capable of doing a spinning back fist but we don’t give everyone in the game a spinning back fist because they don’t do it in real life. Same with a simple move like a standing elbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #40
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Most mma fighters are capable of doing a spinning back fist but we don’t give everyone in the game a spinning back fist because they don’t do it in real life. Same with a simple move like a standing elbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They'd do a spinning backfist poorly, yes. Which is why you have stats to make sure everyone isn't moving their head like Tyson.

Actually, bobbing and weaving is the primary defence right now so I'm not sure what point you're making tbh? Everyone in the game can currently move their head like that. Just at different levels.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »