Home

Strikes from the Single Collar Clinch are Underpowered

This is a discussion on Strikes from the Single Collar Clinch are Underpowered within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Strikes from the Single Collar Clinch are Underpowered

Still makes 0 sense

A punch/ elbow from thai clinch is literally the exact same as a single collar strike since you’re removing one hand to strike
Old 01-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Still makes 0 sense

A punch/ elbow from thai clinch is literally the exact same as a single collar strike since you’re removing one hand to strike
It looks like I'm following you from topic to topic, but I swear I'm not.

In single collar, your opponent has more control over your head and has an arm up. He can better nullify the effectiveness of your strikes and posture breaks. If you have him in the Plum, you have full control of the head (thus their body to an extent) and can generate more power through a whip or a wind up. Not to mention they are often more worried about knees, so their hands are probably not in a position to defend as well as single collar.

Take Frye vs Takiyama. If Frye had him in the Plum, Takiyama would have his head pulled straight into punches (and elbows if they were in the US) versus being stationary and having control over his own posture. There's no way he would've lasted as long as he did in the single collar.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
It looks like I'm following you from topic to topic, but I swear I'm not.

In single collar, your opponent has more control over your head and has an arm up. He can better nullify the effectiveness of your strikes and posture breaks. If you have him in the Plum, you have full control of the head (thus their body to an extent) and can generate more power through a whip or a wind up. Not to mention they are often more worried about knees, so their hands are probably not in a position to defend as well as single collar.

Take Frye vs Takiyama. If Frye had him in the Plum, Takiyama would have his head pulled straight into punches (and elbows if they were in the US) versus being stationary and having control over his own posture. There's no way he would've lasted as long as he did in the single collar.
If there was some sort of whip or posture break before the strikes are thrown i’d agree.

That’s not the case. Tbh I think that’d be a good use for the whip mechanic if we could mix in elbows.

Edit: Dont worry about “following” lol. If im wrong please dont hesitate to correct me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
If there was some sort of whip or posture break before the strikes are thrown i’d agree.

That’s not the case. Tbh I think that’d be a good use for the whip mechanic if we could mix in elbows.

Edit: Dont worry about “following” lol. If im wrong please dont hesitate to correct me.

There is a windup on elbows when in MTC. Either way, even if it wasn’t animated, the result should be the same as if it was. Also, it doesn’t chain super well into the whip, but you can throw punches and elbows right afterwards. It actually gives the whip some use.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
There is a windup on elbows when in MTC. Either way, even if it wasn’t animated, the result should be the same as if it was. Also, it doesn’t chain super well into the whip, but you can throw punches and elbows right afterwards. It actually gives the whip some use.

Right the wind up has nothing to do with posture control it’s the attacker loading up. There’s nothing stopping a person from loading up a strike in single collar. Hell dudes can throw bombs while being thai clinched.

Last edited by Phillyboi207; 01-02-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #14
MVP

Strikes from the Single Collar Clinch are Underpowered

Quote:
Right the wind up has nothing to do with posture control it’s the attacker loading up. There’s nothing stopping a person from loading up a strike in single collar. Hell dudes can throw bombs while being thai clinched

You can’t wind up in single collar because of their hand controlling the back of your neck. If I try to wind that big elbow or hook up, it takes me to a position where I can be off balanced and allows the opponent to manipulate me to get a better position or throw a shorter strike of their own or even disengage. Uppercuts are universal through SC or MTC though. Effective equally in those positions. Maybe even less effective in MTC depending on the situation.

I’ve fought over 25 fights and have even filled in as MT instructor in my old gym. I promise you this is how it works.

Again, I’m not saying you CAN’T do these things, just that it isn’t as viable. Thus the damage distinction makes sense in a video game.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #15
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

What boggles my mind, is how the devs didn't get enough resources to polish that aspect of the game and completely change it, like it deserves to be changed...

While i do agree with their decision to fully reinvent the stand-up and provide us with all of those new awesome animations when stand up striking, the clinch & the ground game simply show their old age and it feels as if you are playing a much older game when you engage in them.

In a better world, EA would have delayed the game until March/April & allow the devs to at least completely remake the clinch.

I don't really like the decision(which i am sure they were forced to take) of resources being spent on adding all that hype/trashtalk for the career mode or any other mode. I'd much rather they gave us the exact same game as EA UFC 2(which is 80% EA UFC 1) if it means that all of their resources went on the gameplay aspect.

I am all in favor of their decision in not touching the entrances etc. Those are wasted resources and precious time, for something nobody really cares about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
You can’t wind up in single collar because of their hand controlling the back of your neck. If I try to wind that big elbow or hook up, it takes me to a position where I can be off balanced and allows the opponent to manipulate me to get a better position or throw a shorter strike of their own or even disengage. Uppercuts are universal through SC or MTC though. Effective equally in those positions. Maybe even less effective in MTC depending on the situation.

I’ve fought over 25 fights and have even filled in as MT instructor in my old gym. I promise you this is how it works.

Again, I’m not saying you CAN’T do these things, just that it isn’t as viable. Thus the damage distinction makes sense in a video game.

I understand that fundamentally it wouldnt be optimal but you can throw damaging strikes from within SC.

I’’ll concede Thai strikes doing more damage since you have more experience but that doesnt mean SC strikes shouldnt do damage.!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »