Home

Martial Mind's Improved Character Creation Video

This is a discussion on Martial Mind's Improved Character Creation Video within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Martial Mind's Improved Character Creation Video

This video is nearly a year old now, but considering the state of character creation in the UFC 3 beta. I think it is worth having a re-cap of just how in-depth it was on a game that was made for a previous generation of consoles.

I'm sure a lot of us would agree that simply having mustaches and beards as separate entities for one would be a great addition in itself.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Martial Mind's Improved Character Creation Video

He kills it in this video. Literally everything that needed said is said here. I don't get it either, Ultimate Team is mostly about creating your own character, right? Shouldn't you want it to be as deep as possible instead of the worst CAF experience in gaming, which it currently is?
Old 01-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
Pro

I almost made a CAF thread myself. Game Face is an excellent creation tool. But there is still so much that lacks in the EA UFC creation process. Obviously other EA titles have more creation options such as FIFA, NHL, NBA Live, & Even Madden, but those games aren't made by the EA Canada Crew who makes Fight Night, and EA UFC.

EA UFC 3 New Customization
I will give EA credit for allowing us to be able to make a more detailed Personality for our CAF'S. No details have been said about it, but I believe it contains the ability to pick each individual taunt for the D-PAD, our fighters stance/ posture. And possibly a more detailed walk in, fighter announcement, celebration animation.

There are a few new hairstyles, and a few new tattoos. But not what we expected. Some also believe some body types have been removed. I never tried to compare the amount in the beta to EA UFC 2 but it could be true.

Gear Customization
Is limited because of the Reebok deal.
EA UFC 1 had more options for this because it had logos, sponsors etc etc. It had to be removed because of Reebok.

-Hats and jackets are now in EA UFC 3 so that may be a new customization options we have as well.

- Career Mode might have exclusive gear we can choose to wear during press conference scenes.

- A woman CAF might have two hairstyles in career mode like female roster fighter's do with casual style during Confrences and weigh ins and also their fight day hair.

Color Change Options

- The Reebok deal made fantasy colors of shirts, trunks etc etc not possible. If this were possible the game would have more depth to be able to color hue change each piece of fight gear.

- I don't understand why EA won't allow color hue change for the foot guards, and also for mouth pieces.

- No RGB color hue options for all tattoos is a poor choice. You add that and that part of the game will become more in depth.

-No RGB color hue options for hair, facial hair, and eye color was also a poor decision choice. The color wheel like FNC has it what we need in EA UFC 3, to not use that awesome mechanic is beyond me. Whoever at EA that works on the CAF portion of EA UFC 3 needs to see this.

Minor Details
- Add Zoom In & Zoom Out Controls
- Modify It so we can have Fighting Out Of & Hometown as two separate details.
- CAF announcement as more than one discipline
-Outside Career Mode CAF record edit.
-Inside Career Mode CAF record carry over outside Career Mode in all other game modes.
-Career Mode Camp Loyalty (Effects who will be in your corner, entrance, and winning celebration animations) [Example if I train with Greg Jackson then Greg Jackson should be in my corner and potentially even fighters from that camp. Similar to how TUF coaches appear in your corner in EA UFC 2's career mode.]
- Career Mode Training W/ Boxing Gear & Shin Guards.

- Allow Facial Hair to be layered like Tattoos can be. So we can make more unique facial hair.

- Allow roster fighter hairstyles.

- Allow hairstyles to have a length editor added to them to have alternate versions of that same hair style.

- Hair dye editor, to create unique hair like the current hair that Nganou has with blonde on top and black everywhere else. Or the Marc Diakiese red mohawk with black fade. Something like this would go well with facial hair editing as well.

I could go on all day about features but I'll cut it short here.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Yeah, I'm HUGE on creation. It's pretty much the only reason I even buy WWE games now. I can definitely use some more styles for the brothas...more dread styles, high tops different fros. I also hope the women have more options for their attire that have been missing as far as their tops.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Rookie

its ok folks, in the new game you can go to make your team and have 20 nate diaz's and 30 Ferguson on your squad, feel free to customize them how you want and pray to god you get the right caf meaning standup or ground game or boxing vs kickboxing before you can even get into that customization.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
MVP

Thumbs up Re: Martial Mind's Improved Character Creation Video

I'd like to see a lot of these changes too, my biggest irk is the randomised reaches on CAFS.

The inability to choose your own reach hurts making offline cafs, I had to redo my Fedor 3 times to get the game to RNG him his actual reach..

I know a lot of folk would abuse it to make super gangly fighters for Unranked and UT. But they already do that without the ability to customise reach so I don't see its inclusion being that big an issue.

I'd love to see a lot of the options MM references too, I think the UFC CAF system has potential to be reeeeallly good with just a few tweaks and additions.

One thing i'll give them credit for is they nailed custom tattoos from UFC 2 on, wish there were a few more tattoo options, but the freedom, amount of layers you can work with and all that can lead to some fantastic looking player made characters (The Batmans and Deadpools and stuff) and custom tattoos (Drop the opacity a little and they look almost real sometimes)
Old 01-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
Banned

Not being able to choose your reach is very discount. I didn't want to get into great detail because I feel Martial Mind does a fantastic job covering all of the bases here, but I'll say a few things just from a creation/aesthetic standpoint.

- The reach is a very important aspect that is omitted and it's annoying. It's a super important aspect to any fighters game. If it's a simple oversight that you can't edit reach, then I question the team making CAF's competence. If they don't think it's important enough to add, then I REALLY question their competence.

- MM mentions it in the video, you can't AGE your fighters. There's absolutely nothing to do to make them look older. There's no kind of add-ons to their faces/bodies. A 38 year old fighter has the same face as an 18 year old fighter. This is stupid.

- Rather than preset bodies/faces, you need the morphing tools. Just simple ones. The one from UD3 was perfect. You choose how much muscle/fat you want your fighter to have.

- Colors, as pointed out by a poster above. All footwraps have to be black? They HAVE to be?

And now that they're introducing pressers/weigh ins or whatever in Career Mode, there's a little thing that is just for the female CAFs.

- Hairstyles at weigh ins compared to hairstyles in their fights. I noticed JJ had a different hairstyle in her weigh in clip compared to her fighting. That is good. I hope this is actually in the game, as well as more hairstyles for the women in general. If you thought the men's CAF was bad last year, the women's was much worse. They gave you 5 body types, one of them which looked ridiculous and didn't even resemble a female body. And the majority of the hairstyles were all dreads, which not every woman wears. You know lots of female fighters simply rock shorter hair, right? Apparently not. You know a lot of female fighters have breasts and butts, right? You know some of them wear super short shorts (See Holly Holm)?

- The names of fighters. I hope to god they fixed this for UFC 3. It was so silly that you can't have people being announced with first and last names, especially when so many should be in the database from the roster alone.

- Editing their records so they're not always "Making their debut" in event mode would be pretty nice too.

I went on way more than I wanted to.

Last edited by godway; 01-01-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:27 AM   #8
Pro

Yes reach is definitely a big deal. FNR4 & FNC both had the customization options for reach. With the new locomotion inside and outside fighting is more of a thing now with reach actually meaning more in this game as stated from EA's official site.

https://www.ea.com/games/ufc/ufc-3/n...king-deep-dive

UFC 3 Striking Deep Dive

Range Management

One final way in which range comes into play is when comparing fighters with long reach vs. short reach. Obviously, the longer reach fighter has a bigger range for their strikes as compared to that of the shorter reach fighter. In order to balance this out, we have made the range requirements to hit maximum damage much stricter for the long reach fighter than the short reach fighter. This variance is even more pronounced on short range strikes, where the shorter fighter will naturally shine. This means that even though they can both achieve maximum damage, it is much more difficult to do with the longer reach fighter.

In addition, we have added an execution frame penalty to the longer fighter, to simulate the fact that their longer limbs take more time to reach their target.

The hope is that this balances out tall fighters and short fighters, making them both competitive if used the right way. As always, the best way to understand this is to go into practice mode and experiment with various techniques.

So why not allow us to have control of our reach as we did in Fight Night? Especially if their is a punishment for being too tall and long in reach.

As well FNR2 & FNR3 were the only fighting games I remember that actually showed age progression during career mode. Your hair, facial hair, and body hair would begin to turn white or grey the older your fighter became. This approach will help make things more realistic in the future if you had something like this in the game, as well if you can somehow apply that to roster fighters as well.

Some form of age deformation mechanics would need to be created. But it can be done. I've seen even other games which altered your characters image as days go by such as The Witcher 3.

Great ideas here. Martial Mind already touched on so many things with this video as well as the ones he posted about EA MMA & FNC things that EA can bring to EA UFC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »