Home

EA Couldn't Get Rogan to Record New Commentary for UFC 3 B/C He Hates Voiceover Work

This is a discussion on EA Couldn't Get Rogan to Record New Commentary for UFC 3 B/C He Hates Voiceover Work within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

OVR: 0
EA Couldn't Get Rogan to Record New Commentary for UFC 3 B/C He Hates Voiceover Work

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/ufc-...oice-over-work

Quote from the article.

According to UFC 3 creative director Brian Hayes, Rogan's hatred of doing voiceover work is both upfront and well-known. "Joe Rogan absolutely hates doing voiceover for the game," said Hayes. "We've basically come to an agreement that we're not going to ask [Rogan] to do it anymore because he hates it."

While Rogan did record voiceover commentary for UFC 1 and UFC 2, he apparently couldn't bring himself to go through voiceover recordings again for the third game. Instead, EA had to be creative and find other ways to get Rogan's voice into the game. "So all of the Joe Rogan stuff we have [in UFC 3] is from mining in-game broadcasts," Hayes revealed. "We don't have the ability to get him in the booth, we have to scour through hours and hours of Pay-Per-View and hopefully finding a clean sample of him saying it in a fight."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #2
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Re: EA Couldn't Get Rogan to Record New Commentary for UFC 3 B/C He Hates Voiceover W

Cut him from the game.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
MVP

Re: EA Couldn't Get Rogan to Record New Commentary for UFC 3 B/C He Hates Voiceover W

It's no secret Joe hates the laborious process, but they should have got DC or Cruz or Dan Hardy to fill in then. It would be a little awkward if they were commentating their own fights though.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #4
Rookie

100% explains why in like half of his voice lines you can hear the crowd in the background of the recording cut out, I always assumed they cut audio from actual UFC events.

Edit: You can hear the crowd in the background of the "wow" recording that must of been cut from a proper event here:

Last edited by TheVirus; 01-09-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
MVP

Yaari's Arena

To be expected. I think anyone that knows Rogan could have seen it coming. I can't blame the guy for not wanting to do it.

Even though it sucks for the game because first of all it'll be obvious to any fan of the franchise that they are reusing so many of his lines. And even then, you can notice when someone has no interest in doing it, and there wont be any chemistry with the other commentator, in this case Jon Anik.

I rather have no Rogan at all for the next game. Today I heard Jimmy Smith is no longer with Bellator and he has an announcement to make. I wonder if he'll end up with the UFC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
Pro

Does that mean his commentary in UFC 3 will be cut from actual real life commentaries from PPVs? If so I think that might be better if they can cut it properly. The enthusiasm and excitement in his voice when something happens would be great to capture. In the prior two games, where he did the voice commentary, you could tell it wasn’t the same
Old 01-09-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorian
They should not be able to charge full price for a game that they admit is incomplete. It is standard for commentary to be updated when a new sports game is released. Stating "they didn't want to" is outrageous and unacceptable.

I do not understand how the standard for MMA games has dropped so incredibly low.
What are you talking about? The game IS complete. If Joe doesn't want to do commentary then he doesn't want to. They can't force him to do it. Unacceptable? According to who? Some bum on an internet forum? Get outta here.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:21 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Cut him from the game.
Why in the world would they not just do this? You wonder why it's 2018 and you still can't hear CAFs names in the game, and then you see that Buffer and Rogan aren't doing any voiceover work for it. Because "They don't want to". Yet you keep them in the game and try to work around it? That's laughably shortsighted.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »