Home

UPROXX Brian Hayes interview

This is a discussion on UPROXX Brian Hayes interview within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: UPROXX Brian Hayes interview

The Pride being for hardcores is a flawed argument just like the stupid “Bisping GSP will fail because new people don’t know him!” was. Those old fans still exist. They didn’t all die. The McGregor era fans didn’t replace us, they added to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #10
MVP

Yaari's Arena

I hate that Pride comment. Just be honest and say that there is no developer capacity to build such a mode right now. Saying Pride is no longer relevant and for "hardcore fans" is like saying the Fight Night games shouldn't have long retired boxers or why did FIFA ever bother adding legends to their game if they dont even play anymore.

Just stupid. Pride would do more for the gameplay than any of the modes they could possibly come up with. More replay value too.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaari
I hate that Pride comment. Just be honest and say that there is no developer capacity to build such a mode right now. Saying Pride is no longer relevant and for "hardcore fans" is like saying the Fight Night games shouldn't have long retired boxers or why did FIFA ever bother adding legends to their game if they dont even play anymore.

Just stupid. Pride would do more for the gameplay than any of the modes they could possibly come up with. More replay value too.
Would it though?

If we had done Pride mode, but not revamped the striking or career mode?

Would UFC 2 with Pride mode added have done more for gameplay that what we chose to do instead?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #12
Rookie

I would really love to see a pride mode in ufc 4 if not why not a dlc for ufc 3? in my opinion it can add so much to the game! Fighting in a ring with soccer kicks,stomps and knees to the head of a down opponent with 10 minute rounds it would add so much replay value to an already good game!!!
Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #13
MVP

Yaari's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Would it though?

If we had done Pride mode, but not revamped the striking or career mode?

Would UFC 2 with Pride mode added have done more for gameplay that what we chose to do instead?
Nah it wouldnt. My statement wasn't exactly fair there. I just didn't like the logic used.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
The Pride being for hardcores is a flawed argument just like the stupid “Bisping GSP will fail because new people don’t know him!” was. Those old fans still exist. They didn’t all die. The McGregor era fans didn’t replace us, they added to us.

I'm pretty sure there was a survey of fans recently (prior to 217) and it showed that a lot of the older pride era fans had fallen off. Like, the people who were fans in their late teens and early 20s back then who are now 30ish with a full time job and a wife and kids who just stopped having time for MMA, I think it was Luke Thomas who mentioned it on an episode of the MMA beat, although I can't find it now so maybe I had a weird fever dream a few months ago or something.

Like, I'm not saying Pride era fans don't exist, or that they were completely phased out by McGregor/Rousey fans, but I'd be willing to put good money on EA getting more sales out of having McGregor on the cover than they would from a hypothetical Pride mode.

To be clear, I'd love a Pride mode, I think it'd be great from a gameplay variety perspective, I just don't expect it because I imagine it looks like a terrible use of resources from EA's perspective
Old 01-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #15
MVP

Internet surveys are hardly an empirical standard. I get the sentiment of “feeling” like old fans have dropped off but I haven’t seen any hard evidence of that.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
Internet surveys are hardly an empirical standard. I get the sentiment of “feeling” like old fans have dropped off but I haven’t seen any hard evidence of that.

Obviously, but internet surveys are the best data we're going to get on this type of subject. Although, it'd really help my point if I could find that survey, or remember where I heard it mentioned haha

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »