Home

What a shame

This is a discussion on What a shame within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: What a shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
One thing I find interesting is that OS is the "gameplay" forum, right? I've been here for decades and I swear I've heard "I dont care about anything else as long as the gameplay is great" in this forum and other game forums here a whole lot.

So it is a little strange to see so much focus on fighter walkouts, appearances, CAF and marketing and other things that dont relate at all to the game at all. All that while people are minimizing how much work creating a new striking system (which let me remind you was one of the BIGGEST complaints about UFC2) is?

Does Ngannou's model look like ****? Sure and I'm hoping they change it.
Should Poirier have the right hair. Yeah, sure.
Is CAF lacking? Definitely.

But I swear it seems like non gameplay things are a good part of the complaints I've seen here recently. FYI, I'm not including Finish the Fight here and I agree that something should be put in place here.

Maybe I'm confident or naive but I dont look at the launch version as the completed version. UFC 1 and 2 were very different when the final version was released so I'm hopeful that they will find something to replace this.
It's the two year cycle that causes many of the complaints. When areas are left untouched, we all can do nothing but simultaneously groan because it's going to be an eternity before they're ever addressed again. You can praise the gameplay changes, but they mostly apply to the stand up game. While everything else LOOKS like it's taking place in UFC 2's shell. That's why there's complaints about the aesthetics. A new game should look new. Fighter models should look updated. I seen two guys who are UFC main event people, in Kevin Lee and Francis Ngannou, and both have very inaccurate fighter models.

Post-release maybe they can fix some things, I think from the post-beta that there was always going to be a lot of refining when it came to KOs/finishes. That's something that players have to trial and error over themselves and it can only be done from playing the game. The one thing I will fight hard for is giving us every hairstyle, body type, name, from the game into CAF. I feel that should be a practical request. Getting that would improve the game drastically to me.

A number of games have found second life, or even much more POPULAR life because of post-launch support. And that comes from listening to the community.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #26
Pro

I loved the beta when I played it(Literally played for 40hrs in a 48hr window)

Was/is it perfect? No. The striking as nice, new And innovative as it is, still has issues(Some Im sure have been addressed) the camera was terrible and made it seem or even caused you to glide across the cage when you didnt want to due to the camera angle changing". The delay between striking and takedowns is bad, often just standing there to eat punches due to trying for a takedown after slipping or striking.. clinch is nearly the same although I am glad you cant just spam knees and such anymore. The thai being the default entry vs cage bothered me(glad you somewhat fixed that by making it so not everyone does it tho)

One of my biggest concerns, two really... the stage 3 knockdown(chance to recover in prone position) seemed very off to me... only once did I ever recover or even see the recovery HUD pop up, the punches are way too fast, like machine guns, the first, second at most ends the fight, and really pulls away any real incentive to try the nee FtF subs when pressing a button twice gives you the win...

The other issue ties greatly into career, the CAF seemed nearly identical with only a few new tattoos' and not much else added, even some things removed"..
I dont know how much work itd take, but seeing as there are 250isj fighters, the hair styles, beards and even body types should be available for CAF mode I think
Old 01-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #27
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
One thing I find interesting is that OS is the "gameplay" forum, right? I've been here for decades and I swear I've heard "I dont care about anything else as long as the gameplay is great" in this forum and other game forums here a whole lot.

So it is a little strange to see so much focus on fighter walkouts, appearances, CAF and marketing and other things that dont relate at all to the game at all. All that while people are minimizing how much work creating a new striking system (which let me remind you was one of the BIGGEST complaints about UFC2) is?

Does Ngannou's model look like ****? Sure and I'm hoping they change it.
Should Poirier have the right hair. Yeah, sure.
Is CAF lacking? Definitely.

But I swear it seems like non gameplay things are a good part of the complaints I've seen here recently. FYI, I'm not including Finish the Fight here and I agree that something should be put in place here.

Maybe I'm confident or naive but I dont look at the launch version as the completed version. UFC 1 and 2 were very different when the final version was released so I'm hopeful that they will find something to replace this.
I don't want you to take me the wrong way, Presentation/Entrances/Marketing are not things i personally care about or have them affect my gaming experience.

However i am personally using them as reference here, in regards to what resources EA is providing for the game and seeing them lack on that marketing department(which is atypical of EA) along with some other vital issues the core of the game has, simply makes me see a pattern here, that EA doesn't care enough to give the game enough resources.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
Joe wasn't wrong. Neither are you. EA has just gone with a lazy solution.

If you put it back in... We have more people laying in the fetal position like they are literally dead and getting hit in the face. I understand why that visual disturbed Joe lol.

The real solution is creating an animation where the guy is actually moving and attempting to defend himself. Then you can have several punches before the fight is stopped. If the guy is clearly unconscious (like fetal position dead unconscious)... you should only be able to get about two punches in at most.... and they should be fast. The referee should be on you very quickly.

So really EA lose either way unless they put in new animations and add in ref interactions.

Good points made. Fully agree with your point about the ref, as i also feel its the best solution to the current issue that can be improved by having way better referee logic. The ref's job is to protect the fighter IRL and having a robust AI system for the ref would solve this. The addition of ground sways in relation to the stamina or damage inflicted, which could possibly affect the speed of sways could also compliment this nicely.

You pretty much summed up how this could be fixed and yes without a doubt it is a lazy/misguided approach to the problem. But EA can either ignore this now and bury their heads in the sand or work towards doing something to fix this to some degree in the future, which i hope they will.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #29
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Also GPD, I hope you are not stressing out over our discussions here.

I hope you don't take us too seriously. I am glad that you care enough and go through our feedback and i love that you are passionate about your game.

For the most part, my issue with the EA UFC series as a whole, hasn't been with how the devs have approached the series, but with how the publishers (EA & UFC) have handled it's resources as a whole.

I am mad, because i can see the potential and that the Dev team is talented and cares about the game/sport, but the issues i have with most of the EA UFC games, seem to derive not from lack of talent/skill, but rather lack of time/resources poured into specific areas. (that might be a generalization that applies for a lot of games but oohhh well )
Old 01-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by manliest_Man
Also GPD, I hope you are not stressing out over our discussions here.

I hope you don't take us too seriously. I am glad that you care enough and go through our feedback and i love that you are passionate about your game.

For the most part, my issue with the EA UFC series as a whole, hasn't been with how the devs have approached the series, but with how the publishers (EA & UFC) have handled it's resources as a whole.

I am mad, because i can see the potential and that the Dev team is talented and cares about the game/sport, but the issues i have with most of the EA UFC games, seem to derive not from lack of talent/skill, but rather lack of time/resources poured into specific areas. (that might be a generalization that applies for a lot of games but oohhh well )
I would like to chime in and also say to GPD that i'm deeply sorry if my post came across as too direct or offensive, but i was just looking for answers about what was really bothering me about the game that had not been fully addressed/confirmed. I still think your one of the best and most caring developers out there, hope that you are okay and that you understood the post i made was for the greater good of the game.

Apologies
AB541
Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #31
Rookie

Honestly what i'm claiming is a more fluid 'finish the fight animations'

What is in UFC 3 ? A super new striking system, ragdoll knockouts = very good, very realistic.

Then you got those PS2 animations when you got to finish the fight : always the same position : the guy you are hitting is lying on the floor on his side. It's very ugly, i'm still wondering how the devs are letting this into the game while there is this very cool striking system. Big contrast between the two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #32
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by godway
It's the two year cycle that causes many of the complaints. When areas are left untouched, we all can do nothing but simultaneously groan because it's going to be an eternity before they're ever addressed again. You can praise the gameplay changes, but they mostly apply to the stand up game. While everything else LOOKS like it's taking place in UFC 2's shell. That's why there's complaints about the aesthetics. A new game should look new. Fighter models should look updated. I seen two guys who are UFC main event people, in Kevin Lee and Francis Ngannou, and both have very inaccurate fighter models.

Post-release maybe they can fix some things, I think from the post-beta that there was always going to be a lot of refining when it came to KOs/finishes. That's something that players have to trial and error over themselves and it can only be done from playing the game. The one thing I will fight hard for is giving us every hairstyle, body type, name, from the game into CAF. I feel that should be a practical request. Getting that would improve the game drastically to me.

A number of games have found second life, or even much more POPULAR life because of post-launch support. And that comes from listening to the community.
We are a very "yeah, but" community.

If I mention that a good amount of fighters have new faces/hairstyles....someone will immediately chime in and say "Yeah, but Poirier's hairstyle is different now" or "Yeah, but Ngannou's model is off". Those are valid points but it doesnt take away the fact that a good amount of work was done on the art side.

If I mention the complete revamping of striking...someone will say "yeah, but they didnt do anything with grappling or clinch". One, that isnt true. There are new subs, grappling positions and changes to the clinch. Two, they revamped grappling in UFC 2! People are posting that they expected a new grappling system for UFC 3. Why would anyone expect that?

Putting that aside, the CAF request isnt as easy as it seems. I asked the devs about just making every hairstyle/bodytype accessible a while back and its not that simple. I dont fully understand the details but CAFs and Roster fighters are structured differently so its not as easy as just making them items available.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »