Home

Fix these three gameplay issues and EA UFC becomes the best MMA game ever

This is a discussion on Fix these three gameplay issues and EA UFC becomes the best MMA game ever within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Fix these three gameplay issues and EA UFC becomes the best MMA game ever

This post is meant to assist game devs in setting long-term strategies to improve gameplay. Priorities include gameplay mechanics that are well-rounded (equal in depth, fluidity, and satisfaction in all areas to include stand up, clinch, ground) and realistic/immersive (primarily by making grappling and clinching a more fluid and intertwined component of the game alongside the new stand up mechanics).

List below:

1. Takedown mechanics need more depth via the takedown defense window to add a sense of struggle and depth to “grappling on the feet.” Add more defense window outcomes and different follow-up animations (I.e. defending TD very early/preemptively leads to sprawl; defending early leads to push away; defending in middle of defense window leads to over under clinch; defending late leads to one leg standing position, etc.). Grapple dial remains important for these “grappling on the feet” positions. The current takedown system is oversimplified (you either defend takedowns by sprawling/pushing away or you get taken down) and does not fluidly incorporate other standing grappling positions very often seen in real life MMA.

2. Clinch mechanics should be strongly intertwined with takedowns (more takedown-to-clinch animations) to make clinching more beneficial/common for grapplers; strikes should be more dynamic in damage (increase striking damage in positions other than the MT clinch); and fluid locomotion while clinching should be incorporated. ATM, clinching feels clunky, is dangerous to engage in (vulnerable when trying to tie up in clinch), and is only beneficial when fighters get in MT clinch and throw knees/elbows - there is little incentive for grapplers to use the clinch for control (since most grappler fluidly transition between takedown attempts and the clinch, usually by going for takedowns and pushing opponents against the cage to control via the clinch- something that is not possible in current game).

3. Ref interactions need to be incorporated (for obvious reasons at this point).

Read my previous posts for more detail on points 1 & 2 (cage incorporation into grappling/clinching animations is important for both points).

Thoughts/additions?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Fix these three gameplay issues and EA UFC becomes the best MMA game ever

I agree also needs rocked from single collar, eating 6 elbows in a row with little to no effect is a joke. Also single collar shoulnt be safe when you are rocked, an uppercut in that state should be an instant weak knockdown
Old 01-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Should be able to throw intercepting knees to the head when they shoot doubles/singles out of the clinch.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
Should be able to throw intercepting knees to the head when they shoot doubles/singles out of the clinch.
From which positions?

And do you have real life examples for this stuff happening in the clinch? I'm finding it hard to picture.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
Rookie

The points you made are exactly the ones to make this game the best ever.
The only ones I would add are:
  1. Better Ground and Pound - Currently the ground and pound looks strange. The fighters do way too much pausing in the animation.
  2. More Struggle/Better Animations When Transitioning - The transitions look good for the most part, but I still feel it doesn't look like enough of a struggle is going on. The animations make it look like it's super easy to pass guard, half guard, etc. The double input transitions where both fighters are attempting to transition look great though, I think we need more depth in the normal transitions to make them look better.
  3. More Animated Submissions - The submissions look god awful currently. There is literally no struggle whatsoever. The fighters just sit in a position and breathe until they advance to the next stage and then sit in that stage with nothing else going on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsikopat36
I agree also needs rocked from single collar, eating 6 elbows in a row with little to no effect is a joke. Also single collar shoulnt be safe when you are rocked, an uppercut in that state should be an instant weak knockdown

Definitely. Someone mentioned something in a previous thread about allowing for dynamic strikes in the clinch. Essentially enabling players to throw “pitty pat” punches with little grappling penalty, but also allowing for more powerful strikes that cause more damage but give the opponent the grappling advantage.

Either way, players should be able to punish their opponents (and cause health events) from the clinch, not just MT (which is entirely too common in the game IMO).

Right now, the clinch is somewhat pointless-especially for grapplers. The only danger comes from being put in MT plum and kneed/elbowed, or getting taken down (but if grapplers engage in the clinch, it just gives their opponent the opportunity to score a takedown - so they’re better off just shooting for takedowns).

The clinch has a much bigger purpose in real life MMA than this.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
Rookie

I think the clinch could be incorporated into the gameplay much more fluidly and still remain exciting for players; allowing folks to seamlessly transition from striking to shooting for a takedown, having that takedown be defended late in the window, resulting in the over/under clinch against the cage - from there, players can throw dangerous or point-scoring strikes and battle for control/takedowns.

The solution IMO is to better integrate takedowns with the grappling mechanics used for ground and clinch (the grapple dial), that way players are put in the clinch more often based on fight events that are exciting and reflect real life MMA situations.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeface
The points you made are exactly the ones to make this game the best ever.
The only ones I would add are:
  1. Better Ground and Pound - Currently the ground and pound looks strange. The fighters do way too much pausing in the animation.
  2. More Struggle/Better Animations When Transitioning - The transitions look good for the most part, but I still feel it doesn't look like enough of a struggle is going on. The animations make it look like it's super easy to pass guard, half guard, etc. The double input transitions where both fighters are attempting to transition look great though, I think we need more depth in the normal transitions to make them look better.
  3. More Animated Submissions - The submissions look god awful currently. There is literally no struggle whatsoever. The fighters just sit in a position and breathe until they advance to the next stage and then sit in that stage with nothing else going on.
2 and 3 I would love. I hate the takedowns in this game and was really hoping for some new animations there. The stuff against the cage is the best looking thing they did with the clinch/takedown game and it's rare to even trigger it.

I also really hate the submission animations. They look so fake. Was really hoping to see some new animations there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »