Home

GameDevs, wrestling is one the most important aspects of MMA

This is a discussion on GameDevs, wrestling is one the most important aspects of MMA within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: GameDevs, wrestling is one the most important aspects of MMA

GameDevs said during a recent interview that they would begin focusing on the next UFC game shortly after this one is released. Would like to hear them commit to improving the grappling and clinch mechanics to round out the game.

Right now there is a large gameplay discrepancy betw/ striking and grappling (primarily grappling on the feet).

The EA UFC franchise is so close to being a masterpiece and a fun combat sports simulation. Right now, there are still areas of frustration that kill the immersion

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg3445
Why do takedowns seem to have a 90% failure rate? It seems like successful takedowns are dependent on fighter stats more than player timing. This is frustrating for players trying to take the fight to the ground.
Shouldn't takedowns take fighter ratings and perks into consideration though? I can see if the complaint is that they rely too much on stats, but you shouldn't be getting takedowns with fighters that have low ratings. That would make ratings and perks irrelevant.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakrok
Shouldn't takedowns take fighter ratings and perks into consideration though? I can see if the complaint is that they rely too much on stats, but you shouldn't be getting takedowns with fighters that have low ratings. That would make ratings and perks irrelevant.

Yes it should be based on stats to an extent. Someone like Stephen Thompson shouldn’t have an ability to easily takedown Woodly.

My frustration comes more from the input lag associated with takedowns and the obvious gameplay disparity between striking and grappling on the feet. It really feels like two different games, one (striking) that received far more attention than the other (grappling).

I didn’t express this clearly in the OP. Will edit

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
Rookie

In a way, take downs are sometimes the easiest way to score points. Previous games showed a take down at the end of a round was a sure way to edge it. There are instances where fighter stats had little difference in a players ability to escape some guys dominant ground game. It's really hard to find a balance where take downs and ground is going to be fair. The stand up now allows for guys with dominant stand up to take the match, of course, the take downs will most likely be balanced to allow for those less comfortable to work their gameplan. No body wants one aspect of the game to be more over powered than the other, so the balance will be tuned I'm guessing coming in the first few patches.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #13
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

The sprawl is terribly executed in the game.

This is how the sprawl typically looks in real life.

Somehow, this is how sprawl usually looks in EA UFC, which looks extremely unnatural...

How does one deny a TD, then almost sorta goes into a standing clinch for half a second and then goes down to a sprawl position? It's bothered me for so long lol.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
The sprawl is terribly executed in the game.

This is how the sprawl typically looks in real life.

Somehow, this is how sprawl usually looks in EA UFC, which looks extremely unnatural...

How does one deny a TD, then almost sorta goes into a standing clinch for half a second and then goes down to a sprawl position? It's bothered me for so long lol.

I’ve noticed this too.

There seems to be two sprawl animations in the game. One occurs when you defend the TD immediately and the animation is quick and the sprawl slams the aggressor’s face into the mat (like a real life sprawl). The other sprawl animation, which occurs far more often, is some sort of slow motion clinch-to-sprawl movement that defies the principle of inertia.

It’s almost like the latter sprawl animation was originally a takedown-to-clinch animation, but later adjusted to end in the sprawl. Either way, that second animation should be scrapped and instead result in a over-under clinch.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #15
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

OOOOooooh that sprawl animation is such a visual pet peeve of mine. They can completely replace that particular sprawl animation with the double under clinch or a single leg clinch to transition from which I've been raving about. That would be ideal and I'd love it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #16
Pro

I agree with all of this. I love the new takedowns that end up against the cage, but the whole thing is clunky. I'm sometimes having these submission showdown matches that look awkward as hell as we are both trying takedowns.

It works better if you sprint towards your opponent a bit, giving you more reach. But a counter-shot would be devastating I assume.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »