Home

Having Serious Trouble with Headkicks

This is a discussion on Having Serious Trouble with Headkicks within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Having Serious Trouble with Headkicks

Having some serious trouble which headkicks right now. In UFC 2 I could avoid getting headkicked with backward movement but now I can't stop people from chasing me down with headkicks even when using Anderson Silva. I keep thinking that I'm fine if I'm nowhere near kick range an moving backwards, but it feels like the kicks are heat seeking missiles for my head and travel damn near half way across the octagon.

With the online and input lag I'm feeling I see the kicks coming but can't do anything about it other than block. I keep thinking that they shouldn't hit me in the first place and just end up eating them.

Any suggestions other than just learning that I can't just move out of the way now? It's also hard to punish when I do sway since I get caught trying to come out of the sway early, and my opponent can recover before I can hit them with anything significant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Having Serious Trouble with Headkicks

duck em! it’s fairly easy to duck a head kick, just gotta time it early enough! lean any other way and you will get hit lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-02-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel182x
duck em! it’s fairly easy to duck a head kick, just gotta time it early enough! lean any other way and you will get hit lol.
Not working, I just get hit by the thigh.

I also back up and make them whiff, and they can catch or block the followup kick and I'm not close enough to punish with a punch.

Last edited by killakrok; 02-02-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:39 PM   #4
MVP

If your still getting hit while ducking your probably ducking too close or too soon, try flicking LS back to do a short hop then duck, or if at max range, a pull back will work.

I rarely get headkcked, provided I've the space, I do a L1+LS back sway and usually always clear them, perhaps your overall engagement range is too short? I always have my punches landing full extension, so I've always got space to quickly get out, retreating jabs are a good way to disrupt the opponent coming in while also moving you out of danger.

If they're trying to solely hit you with a left high kick for example, you can also use the long side sways to quickly hop right and avoid 90% of the force of the kick, get an opening.

Alternatively again, if they wanna kick, close yhe distance, stick to em, if they (foolishly) attempt a kick, throw a check hook while circling away from the kick to MESS them up, or atleast get a huge opening to do so.

These are tactics that have worked for me, hope they help you.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:44 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroZeppelin27
If your still getting hit while ducking your probably ducking too close or too soon, try flicking LS back to do a short hop then duck, or if at max range, a pull back will work.

I rarely get headkcked, provided I've the space, I do a L1+LS back sway and usually always clear them, perhaps your overall engagement range is too short? I always have my punches landing full extension, so I've always got space to quickly get out, retreating jabs are a good way to disrupt the opponent coming in while also moving you out of danger.

If they're trying to solely hit you with a left high kick for example, you can also use the long side sways to quickly hop right and avoid 90% of the force of the kick, get an opening.

Alternatively again, if they wanna kick, close yhe distance, stick to em, if they (foolishly) attempt a kick, throw a check hook while circling away from the kick to MESS them up, or atleast get a huge opening to do so.

These are tactics that have worked for me, hope they help you.
I'm always on the outside so I don't get why they are even coming near me in the first place. I don't know what it is, I see them coming and can't do anything, move or sway. I don't know if I have more lag then everyone else but I feel like I'm stuck in the mud. Even when I hold RS to sway I get nothing, do you have to flick it all of the time? I try to do things quickly and it feels like I need to queue it, then I try to queue it and nothing happens. Everything just feels so sluggish like I'm playing a second behind myself. It makes reacting to things really hard even when I see it. I had absolutely with simple things that destroy me now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2018, 11:46 PM   #6
Rookie

get the timing of the duck down! i’ve been ko’d so many times by a clean two piece or straight after whiffing a kick over my opponents duck that i started using it myself. you have to time it super early. you’ll know you timed it right cus you’ll duck lower than usual. it took a while for me to get the timing down. i’ve been caught by knees, thighs, toes, every part of the leg during a head kick lol.

here's a video of when i started getting the timing down of ducking head kicks. this barbosa i was playing kept throwing a spinning heel kick every time he caught me with a head kick. this is the animation you'll be looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-02-2018, 11:50 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel182x
get the timing of the duck down! i’ve been ko’d so many times by a clean two piece or straight after whiffing a kick over my opponents duck that i started using it myself. you have to time it super early. you’ll know you timed it right cus you’ll duck lower than usual.
Yeh I need to stop facing people and just go into practice mode and get the timing of everything down. I try to do so many things and nothing happens.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 PM   #8
Banned

Ducking head kicks is the way to go. And it can lead to a devastating counter shot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »