Home

"predictive" head movement doesn't work

This is a discussion on "predictive" head movement doesn't work within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2018, 02:28 AM   #73
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: "predictive" head movement doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
It wouldn't make sense for CM Punk and others to be on the level of Anderson, so no, but the way you guys have implemented it could be tweaked.

If I understood correctly, there's a higher input delay depending on fighter head movement stat?

Could it be better if every fighter has the same input delay i.e. minimal, but the range of motion required to get to the safe zone be higher for some than others?

That way we have visual feedback letting us know a fighter has bad head movement and so moves slower than Anderson Silva, and don't blame it on unresponsive controls.

Also, Anderson, Conor and co could have a larger maximum distance, so their unsafe to safe zone ratio is 30 : 70 rather than 50 : 50 or something. So they essentially can lean further spending less time in danger territory.

One thing I want to check later is if the head movement moves 1 to 1 with the stick or if it's actually an input similar to a button press, where pushing the stick to x amount activates the head movement.

Having it 1 to 1 with the stick will help improve responsiveness. Combine it with the ideas above and you might just have a better version of your current system without taking it all apart.

There is no input delay.

There's speed and range of head movement affected by head movement and head movement vs opponent accuracy.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:41 AM   #74
Rookie

Head Movement is fine way better than UFC 2 so there isn't much to complain about. Grappling is also little bit better than last year.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:06 AM   #75
MVP

Cool, I thought it was just me noticing the "delay" with head movements AND strikes. I find myself frustrated and button mashing much of the time. However, I think it has something to do with stats as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2018, 07:41 AM   #76
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I wouldn't even waste time arguing with Altair on this. He's in his own lane when it comes to head movement. I had to laugh when he said you couldn't dodge on reaction in Fight Night. Yeah, okay.

Now that I've gotten the mechanics together, I'm having fun with the game and you can do some good things, but the head movement system is still very poor. Let's not act like it's a step in the right direction.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #77
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
There is no input delay.

There's speed and range of head movement affected by head movement and head movement vs opponent accuracy.
do you think every fighter should be able to use head movement to some degree, or sometimes they shouldn't even try?

what I mean is, using head movement with mid tier fighter against Diaz for example, is extremely unreliable to the point that is better not even trying.

his hooks and straight seems to always track you, even if you duck or sway in the right direction.

sometimes you are able to slip the first punch, but you are not able to counter in time, and the second punch will always hit you.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #78
Banned

I've shared my complaints, but count me among the few who likes the direction head movement is taking. Its not perfect, but its a step in the right direction. Not everyone in the UFC uses proper head movement + the head movement stat and accuracy stats should play a factor, which they do. Using a high head movement stat fighter, its not hard to avoid punches you know are coming. And if you want 360 head movement, just don't move your feet. I think it needs some tightening maybe, but I like the system in place.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #79
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

I've also had trouble with predictive head movement

Not sure if it's the 'lag' or just my lack of skill lol

I was very good with head movement in fight night (Joe Frazier baby!) --- haven't been able to get the hang of it so far in UFC 3.

Well, at least, the predictive part.

It's not difficult to randomly move your head and throw counter punches --- aka 'spam' head movement lol --- but to do it 'on purpose' does seem very difficult to me. I thought I was just a n00b but yea there does seem to be input lag, but maybe I still need to get used to it
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

Last edited by Boiler569; 02-05-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
Firstly, there is no input lag. The "delay" is the time it takes to move the head far enough to evade the strike.

Secondly, if you climb the rankings far enough (doesn't even need to get close to top 100), you will see that is not the case.

Thirdly, what fighters are you using? If you're using someone with a low head movvement stat, it's gonna be hard to time your slips. The difference between a top level head movement fighter and a bad one is quite substantial,s o that not everybody slips like Anderson Silva.

Anderson Silva was mentioned specifically. Head movement is too slow, period. He laid out a clear case justifying why he feels that way. You provided zero relevant substance in your response.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »