Home

"predictive" head movement doesn't work

This is a discussion on "predictive" head movement doesn't work within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
"predictive" head movement doesn't work

Right now, there is a big input delay in the head movement, both while moving and standing still. I heard that this was done deliberately in order to make head movement "predictive" and not "reactive".

It sounded logical to me at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I disliked the idea. See, if you want to avoid a strike, there's always been a predictive element in it even with no delay. Most strikes in Fight Night like jabs and straights were way too fast to slip on reaction, you already had to predict those were coming instead of hooks.

But now, with the deliberate delay, you have to predict strikes so far in advance that it renders head movement almost useless. I regularly know which strikes are coming, I move the right stick to slip/sway but I still get hit because of the delay and all of the follow up strikes because getting hit cancels all queued-up input.

I do not think this is a fun gameplay mechanic, nor do I think that it's a realistic one. Sure, great strikers need to predict their opponents' moves, but that doesn't mean they don't have any reflexes.

I hope head movement can be patched so that it reacts instantly to player input, otherwise it's a complete waste of time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Banned

Re: "predictive" head movement doesn't work

I hope more people post in this.

We tried fighting for some changes to the head movement but unfortunately most of the gamechangers think this is the way to go.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
MVP

I'm finding that I can read the attacker's animations quite well now but it's still a toss up if my input is fast enough or not.

They should increase either the speed of head movement or drop the start up frames as much as necessary.

I agree with your post.

One thing that is currently nigh impossible to do is evade 2 or 3 strikes consecutively with head movement during the opponent's combo, by changing head slots.

Very hard to do even as Anderson Silva.

The safest go to vs AI is duck and let their punches or kicks fly overhead.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
I'm finding that I can read the attacker's animations quite well now but it's still a toss up if my input is fast enough or not.

They should increase either the speed of head movement or drop the start up frames as much as necessary.

I agree with your post.

One thing that is currently nigh impossible to do is evade 2 or 3 strikes consecutively with head movement during the opponent's combo, by changing head slots.

Very hard to do even as Anderson Silva.

The safest go to vs AI is duck and let their punches or kicks fly overhead.
The head movement feels extremely one dimensional to me. I don't see much of a reason to do anything other than duck. Pulling is way too risky and the reward of landing a straight punch just isn't worth it. It's fun to accomplish but the risk/reward is off. Swaying to the side is useful but ducking is easily the most effective thing to do in my experience so it's pretty much all I use.

Chaining head movement is way too difficult to actually try if you want to play competitively too. The success rate is very low.

Then there's the input lag too. I think that's more of a problem with the game in general though and won't be fixed. I think they'd have to redo the whole system to take the input lag out.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
Rookie

I vote for realism... Predictive seems like a game mechanic which ultimately leads to more gamey mechanics.

Keep it real EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme_Bananas
Right now, there is a big input delay in the head movement, both while moving and standing still. I heard that this was done deliberately in order to make head movement "predictive" and not "reactive".

It sounded logical to me at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I disliked the idea. See, if you want to avoid a strike, there's always been a predictive element in it even with no delay. Most strikes in Fight Night like jabs and straights were way too fast to slip on reaction, you already had to predict those were coming instead of hooks.

But now, with the deliberate delay, you have to predict strikes so far in advance that it renders head movement almost useless. I regularly know which strikes are coming, I move the right stick to slip/sway but I still get hit because of the delay and all of the follow up strikes because getting hit cancels all queued-up input.

I do not think this is a fun gameplay mechanic, nor do I think that it's a realistic one. Sure, great strikers need to predict their opponents' moves, but that doesn't mean they don't have any reflexes.

I hope head movement can be patched so that it reacts instantly to player input, otherwise it's a complete waste of time.
Firstly, there is no input lag. The "delay" is the time it takes to move the head far enough to evade the strike.

Secondly, if you climb the rankings far enough (doesn't even need to get close to top 100), you will see that is not the case.

Thirdly, what fighters are you using? If you're using someone with a low head movvement stat, it's gonna be hard to time your slips. The difference between a top level head movement fighter and a bad one is quite substantial,s o that not everybody slips like Anderson Silva.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
Firstly, there is no input lag. The "delay" is the time it takes to move the head far enough to evade the strike.

Secondly, if you climb the rankings far enough (doesn't even need to get close to top 100), you will see that is not the case.

Thirdly, what fighters are you using? If you're using someone with a low head movvement stat, it's gonna be hard to time your slips. The difference between a top level head movement fighter and a bad one is quite substantial,s o that not everybody slips like Anderson Silva.
What are you basing this off. There are multiple threads about it and everyone seems to agree. There must be something.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCB x Finlay
What are you basing this off. There are multiple threads about it and everyone seems to agree. There must be something.
He's saying there is no delay on the head movement specifically (I hope/think). As far as general input lag... It's definitely there in a pretty big way and the head movement also suffers because of it.

I think it's going to get brushed under the rug because fixing it would require rewiring a lot about the game tho.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »