Home

How do you guys feel about set combos?

This is a discussion on How do you guys feel about set combos? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #33
MVP

Hiro1's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: How do you guys feel about set combos?

By nature I love the process of learning. I’m a huge fan of the set combos. Gone are the days of picking a boxer and fighting like a Muay Thai guy. Learning individual fighters’ moves is one of my favorite things about the game.

My process: I choose a fighter. Go into practice mode and pull up their combo list. I scroll through and pick out my favorite 2 or 3 combos. Then I drill them in practice until they flow naturally. I hop into ranked and get to work.

A batch of fighters later and I’ve memorized my favorite lvl 4 Muay Thai, lvl 4 boxing combos and some of Wonderboy’s kickboxing. With this knowledge I can utilize any boxer or MT fighter. I just need to know the level of they’re combo skill so I knew w what I can and can’t throw effectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 11:26 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Must have a good memory. Also I'm offended by the idea that just because someone doesn't care for the hundreds of combos they are bad at the game.

In video below you can see one of my issues with the combos.

LOL this post/video is GOLD. Thanks for showing just how absurd this new combo system is. Why should I have to toggle through hundreds of combination patterns. I'd rather just play the game and have the freedom to throw my own combinations without worrying about whether the fighter has them and if they'll even work... Anyway I'm gonna go log on UFC 3 now and spend 20 hours memorizing Anderson Silva's combo library

Last edited by Paledude45; 02-07-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:32 PM   #35
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Just throwing this out there, but you don't have to look all that up. It's just harder to play if you don't.

I'd love to make an online searchable database of all this stuff, but it's crazy overwhelming for one person.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #36
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paledude45
LOL this post/video is GOLD. Thanks for showing just how absurd this new combo system is. Why should I have to toggle through hundreds of combination patterns. I'd rather just play the game and have the freedom to throw my own combinations without worrying about whether the fighter has them and if they'll even work... Anyway I'm gonna go log on UFC 3 now and spend 20 hours memorizing Anderson Silva's combo library
Considering most of those combos can be learned simply through understanding how striking works this mindset is absurd. I don't need a combo list to tell me I can throw a jab-hook. But it's listed there for posterity anyway.

You don't have to look at the list. Throw the dang combo and if it comes out fast your character has it. You don't have to look to see if you can throw a 1-hook kick. Just try throwing one after the other. Trial and error is just as effective.

There are so many combos and you really think you're going to use EVERY single one? No. That's insane. You're gonna pick ~10 to fit your playstyle. I don't need a rolodex to remember 10 combos.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
Considering most of those combos can be learned simply through understanding how striking works this mindset is absurd. I don't need a combo list to tell me I can throw a jab-hook. But it's listed there for posterity anyway.

You don't have to look at the list. Throw the dang combo and if it comes out fast your character has it. You don't have to look to see if you can throw a 1-hook kick. Just try throwing one after the other. Trial and error is just as effective.

There are so many combos and you really think you're going to use EVERY single one? No. That's insane. You're gonna pick ~10 to fit your playstyle. I don't need a rolodex to remember 10 combos.
You're right, I don't have to look through the list to know that every fighter can throw a jab, hook, lead hook combo. And yes, I practice combos through trial and error, only to find out that it doesn't work with a certain fighter which then discourages me from wanting to use that fighter again. But the fact that the list even exists is the problem. If you read my first post on this thread, you would see that my argument stems from the lack of creativity in striking, and as Dave_S pointed out, the overwhelming list of combinations to learn from.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:44 AM   #38
Rookie

Re: !

Quote:
This is exactly what humans do when they're impatient and faced with a learning curve. They fall back on their past experience and wish it were more like that. They make sweeping exaggerations like equating this system to Mortal Kombat. It's a completely emotional response.
I just asked the community how they feel about it. Then gave my opinion.. chill out
Old 02-08-2018, 02:45 AM   #39
Rookie

Re: !

Quote:
I really feel like this argument is simply a bastion for bad players to voice frustration because they haven't learned to play as well as they did in UFC 2 yet.
Im not a bad player. Just voiced an opinion
Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro1
By nature I love the process of learning. I’m a huge fan of the set combos. Gone are the days of picking a boxer and fighting like a Muay Thai guy. Learning individual fighters’ moves is one of my favorite things about the game.

My process: I choose a fighter. Go into practice mode and pull up their combo list. I scroll through and pick out my favorite 2 or 3 combos. Then I drill them in practice until they flow naturally. I hop into ranked and get to work.

A batch of fighters later and I’ve memorized my favorite lvl 4 Muay Thai, lvl 4 boxing combos and some of Wonderboy’s kickboxing. With this knowledge I can utilize any boxer or MT fighter. I just need to know the level of they’re combo skill so I knew w what I can and can’t throw effectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Really don’t understand how people are upset about it. It gives fighters individuality! Once you learn some combos which suit YOUR natural play style it’s an absolute joy.

I feel it’s the biggest improvement on the last game. I’m more than happy to learn and don’t mind putting in the effort in practice mode like yourself to get these moves down.

Last edited by cal7_11; 02-08-2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Mistake

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »