Home

Is Head Kick Range Too Predictable?

This is a discussion on Is Head Kick Range Too Predictable? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

OVR: 0
Is Head Kick Range Too Predictable?

So there's two times in this video where head kicks are thrown... 1 just before the finish and the second one being the finish. I'm Eddie for the record.

At a certain range you know the only threat is a head kick.... And if you're too close you know it's not coming. Head kicks have their own range where basically only they can land. There does seem to be a range where head kicks and body kicks can land (not sure tho) but it's very small.

I find there's many times on the game where both guys are like "oh **** head kick range... let's throw one or block his". Just feels way too predictable. Curious what others think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Is Head Kick Range Too Predictable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95

So there's two times in this video where head kicks are thrown... 1 just before the finish and the second one being the finish. I'm Eddie for the record.

At a certain range you know the only threat is a head kick.... And if you're too close you know it's not coming. Head kicks have their own range where basically only they can land. There does seem to be a range where head kicks and body kicks can land (not sure tho) but it's very small.

I find there's many times on the game where both guys are like "oh **** head kick range... let's throw one or block his". Just feels way too predictable. Curious what others think?
That’s generally how it works irl lol

The only time you see it closer are when the opponent ducks or sways
Old 02-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
Rookie

Nekrotik's Arena

I'm pretty good at judging range, but I still miss a lot of head kicks. I think it's good where it is.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
That’s generally how it works irl lol

The only time you see it closer are when the opponent ducks or sways
I guess you're kinda right.

Something that I've always thought would be a good idea is giving someone like Pettis a dexterity perk as he's able to kick more vertically than most other fighters and from a shorter range. I think that would be a cool way to add to his uniqueness.

His lead head kick is a nightmare.

Above is an example of how parries done correctly could make the game more dynamic. Pettis programmed Lauzon to parry his straight punches before this. Resulting in Lauzon bringing his hands down to parry and Anthony landing the head kick. That's not a possibility in this game and instead you just hold high block. It would make head kicks less predictable though.

I just think that range is currently quite dull and one dimensional.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
I guess you're kinda right.

Something that I've always thought would be a good idea is giving someone like Pettis a dexterity perk as he's able to kick more vertically than most other fighters and from a shorter range. I think that would be a cool way to add to his uniqueness.

His lead head kick is a nightmare.

Above is an example of how parries done correctly could make the game more dynamic. Pettis programmed Lauzon to parry his straight punches before this. Resulting in Lauzon bringing his hands down to parry and Anthony landing the head kick. That's not a possibility in this game and instead you just hold high block. It would make head kicks less predictable though.

I just think that range is currently quite dull and one dimensional.
I’d be okay with a guy like Pettis having a lvl 5 lead head kick that’s the same animation from UFC 2. There’s no wind up and he is THAT scary from kicking range
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
Rookie

It's not too predictable in my opinion, because we have the ability to sprint and close distance in this game. You don't have to do a head kick, you can run in and punch.

But when something like that is predictable, that's when you have people learning that people are actually baiting them to throw from head kick range and stop failing for it.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
MVP

It is vs the AI. They tend to throw a lot of body kicks at that range which are easy to dodge now that I've got the range down. Introduced a house rule to myself not to counter too often off it & not to stay too far out of range with fighters who don't do that IRL.

What was awesome was then Yoel Romero's AI did this a few times, then faked it & threw a punch combo after which caught me clean! Was very cool to see the AI use a fake & it made perfect sense too
Old 02-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
Pro

TheJamesKraus's Arena

It's not too predictable.. it matters on how you set them up just like rl.

TJ and Marlon Moraes both have a sneaky head kick you can catch guys out with, also the spinning kicks all have different timing/speed.

I think it's fine how it is, obviously on better players as with any strike.. you have to set it up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »