Home

Knockouts are... unsatisfying to say the least

This is a discussion on Knockouts are... unsatisfying to say the least within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Knockouts are... unsatisfying to say the least

I've said this before...the new striking mechanics are fun and satisfying! But it's super anti-climatic having every KO be the same "fall to side/one knee" animation. You can always see when the animation kicks in.

It seems like there is ragdoll in the game, but the KOs always start as a canned animation before they transition into ragdoll (if at all). This is why it feels so unsatisfying, because you don't feel the momentum of the strike carried through to the KO.

Compare the above video to a knockout from UFC 2. You really FEEL the energy being transferred, and the opponent's body reacts appropriately.

I don't even mind not being able to land additional strikes after the KO. I just want to see spectacular ragdoll KOs, it's adds SO much replay value. I had endless fun with UFC 2.

Last edited by Mr_Cool_Ice; 02-08-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #18
Rookie

Nekrotik's Arena

tissues keeps posting that, obviously hasn't seen UFC 3 yet. The KO's in UFC 3 are way worse than your example, which is a tiny minority of the KO's in UFC 2.

I actually spend several hours labbing this. The number of backflip KO's was under 3%, and the number of KO's launching people in the air in general (feet off the ground ~1 inch or more) was under 5%.

The terrible KO animations are like 95% in UFC 3.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekrotik
tissues keeps posting that, obviously hasn't seen UFC 3 yet. The KO's in UFC 3 are way worse than your example, which is a tiny minority of the KO's in UFC 2.

I actually spend several hours labbing this. The number of backflip KO's was under 3%, and the number of KO's launching people in the air in general (feet off the ground ~1 inch or more) was under 5%.

The terrible KO animations are like 95% in UFC 3.
No the backflip KOs weren't under 3% there was a simple way to do it. I could do it whenever I wanted to. Cage strike KOs on the other hand were hard to do and it's still possible in UFC 3

Edit: That's a good thing btw
Old 02-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #20
Pro

The rag doll KO's in UFC 2 never got old and I miss them anytime someone posts one, please bring them back. I'm enjoying the process of knocking people out in UFC 3. It's hit or miss how they play out, mostly miss in comparison. The KO replays in UFC 3 also look god awful, I can only watch KO clips in real speed where as UFC 2 replays are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #21
Rookie

Ragdolls in UFC 2 were fine, they just needed to tune the momentum and mass on them a bit. I don't know why they can't do something as simple as that unless there were glitchy complications, but with access to the source code and some time that wouldn't be a problem either. I can only assume they took the easy way out with what they already had and didn't have or want to spend the time to tune the new settings. Disappointing, but it is what it is. I get the feeling that they are running a skeleton crew in that studio. It must make the game pretty profitable, so at least we'll continue to see new ones unlike UFC Undisputed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #22
Rookie

Nekrotik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Cool_Ice
I've said this before...the new striking mechanics are fun and satisfying! But it's super anti-climatic having every KO be the same "fall to side/one knee" animation. You can always see when the animation kicks in.

It seems like there is ragdoll in the game, but the KOs always start as a canned animation before they transition into ragdoll (if at all). This is why it feels so unsatisfying, because you don't feel the momentum of the strike carried through to the KO.

Compare the above video to a knockout from UFC 2. You really FEEL the energy being transferred, and the opponent's body reacts appropriately.

I don't even mind not being able to land additional strikes after the KO. I just want to see spectacular ragdoll KOs, it's adds SO much replay value. I had endless fun with UFC 2.

That is a great comparison.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #23
Pro

mannyonelover's Arena

If you want realism you need to look at it for what it is there isn’t always a knockout an MMA it’s mostly TKO‘s even disputed ones , The finish the fight mechanic is essential in an MMA game.. these knockouts straight up hideous , The way the fights in in this game or anti-climactic and dilute the very effort of getting the finish,
Most MMA fights and with a downed opponent fighting off a barrage of strikes not just going limp like they lost their soul!
Bring back finish the fight!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #24
Rookie

The ragdoll UFC 2 KO's resulted in thousands of more online fights for me compared to UFC 1. The UFC 3 KO's with the exclusion of finish the fight are a setback in my opinion.

I can only guess the reason why the team changed the KO's is because they thought the UFC 2 ragdolls looked exaggerated and unrealistic. But part of the fun of KO'ing people or being KO'd was seeing the fighter fall down differently every time.

Now I time a nice rear uppercut while my opponent is throwing an overhand, my opponent falls down to his knee/side as I rub my nose and walk off. Rinse and repeat.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »