Home

So After Several Days With The Game... Is Top Mount OP?

This is a discussion on So After Several Days With The Game... Is Top Mount OP? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

OVR: 0
So After Several Days With The Game... Is Top Mount OP?

For the record this guy is in the top 100 so nobody is bad here. I'm actually normally the one losing this way because I don't mess with the ground much but I figured it'd make more sense to post a clip of me doing it.

It almost feels like to me that if I can get 3 punches in top mount that have time in between that I can essentially finish the fight unless he goes for an arm trap. However, If a guy is varying the cadence of his punches in top mount and switching the arm he punches with... Arm traps are an extremely risky manoeuvre. Arm traps in UFC 2 were way too easy tho so it shouldn't go back to that.

I've seen several ideas on how to nerf top mount. Making it harder to get. Making it easier for the bottom guy to transition out. Making the block last longer. Do you guys think any adjustments would be beneficial in making it a less effective position right now?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Pro

Re: So After Several Days With The Game... Is Top Mount OP?

He didn't block long enough. Just let your block meter go all the way down before you transition.

Instead, he went for either a quick transition to catch you off guard (which never really works) or it was a failed attempt at an armtrap. Either way, seems to me like it happened because he got impatient, not because mount's OP.

Oh and he could've also turned his back.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95

For the record this guy is in the top 100 so nobody is bad here. I'm actually normally the one losing this way because I don't mess with the ground much but I figured it'd make more sense to post a clip of me doing it.

It almost feels like to me that if I can get 3 punches in top mount that have time in between that I can essentially finish the fight unless he goes for an arm trap. However, If a guy is varying the cadence of his punches in top mount and switching the arm he punches with... Arm traps are an extremely risky manoeuvre. Arm traps in UFC 2 were way too easy tho so it shouldn't go back to that.

I've seen several ideas on how to nerf top mount. Making it harder to get. Making it easier for the bottom guy to transition out. Making the block last longer. Do you guys think any adjustments would be beneficial in making it a less effective position right now?
I'm not going to pretend to be an expect in grappling because I'm not.

But two observations.

1. The half guard escape is slower than the posture break, so I'm guessing you could have got to mount postured down had you done that transition instead.

2. The roll to backmount is very fast as well, and the half guard escape is faster form there than from mount postured up.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
Rookie

Yes. I avoid it like the plague. If I get hit twice before I can arm trap I don't even get option to arm trap again as long as they don't throw modified punches.

Grappling advantage has to be given up when postured and committed to striking, unless there is a stamina advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukEasy
He didn't block long enough. Just let your block meter go all the way down before you transition.

Instead, he went for either a quick transition to catch you off guard (which never really works) or it was a failed attempt at an armtrap. Either way, seems to me like it happened because he got impatient, not because mount's OP.

Oh and he could've also turned his back.

I'm the McGregor player. I just tried this now but it didn't work. Seems rolling to your back is the only real option? I feel like denying is pretty easy from there too though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95

I'm the McGregor player. I just tried this now but it didn't work. Seems rolling to your back is the only real option? I feel like denying is pretty easy from there too though.
Well Mcgregor vs Khabib is a huge mismatch so yeah you’d have to turn. And try to fake/block and then get back to half guard.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
Rookie

Top mount is pretty OP irl as well.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
I'm not going to pretend to be an expect in grappling because I'm not.

But two observations.

1. The half guard escape is slower than the posture break, so I'm guessing you could have got to mount postured down had you done that transition instead.

2. The roll to backmount is very fast as well, and the half guard escape is faster form there than from mount postured up.
From someone who trains BJJ I think it is fine as is.

Mount is a very strong position but one that is not overly difficult to achieve.

You can win fights in mount. But if you play smart you can also escape.

However I do think that there should be some modification to crucifix. Manly being that it should be only accessible via side saddle as this is how it would be set up in real life. I won't go into major detail about it here because it could drag on but feel free to pm me if you would like more info.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »