Home

Headmovement in EA UFC 3 seems to be Parries 2.0

This is a discussion on Headmovement in EA UFC 3 seems to be Parries 2.0 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 03:59 AM   #1
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

OVR: 0
Headmovement in EA UFC 3 seems to be Parries 2.0

With the new downgraded/arcadey/unrealistic Headmovement, when timed properly, an automatic and scripted dodge animation plays out, and it looks and feels, just like it did with the rightfully hated parries, of EA UFC 1 & 2.

The Look:
Some Animations, particularily the Head Kick Ducking or Body Kick Back Dashing Evasion or spinning fists/kicks ducking etc., seem copy and pasted right out of EA UFC's 2 parries.

The Feel:
- Exaggerated Stamina Loss. An unrealistic, nonsensical and arcadey/gamey mechanic. Simillar to the parries.
- Unresponsive, Open Window of getting countered, with artificially increased damage. Exactly like the parries.
Overall resulting in feeling like that unrealistic and unresponsive stun phase, that you had after EA UFC's 2 parries.

Am i the only one seeing the parallels here? This series, doesn't seem to know where it is headed and that's what is most worrying about it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We went from having strategic range management and physics based striking and evasions of EA UFC 2's 360 headmovement, to overall a very close/scripted experience with EA UFC 3. Just like that stupid timing based grappling system we got from EA UFC 1 going to EA UFC 2 and remaining at that state now for EA UFC 3.

I Don't care how many animations you mocapped and how you only focused on EA UFC's 3 Stand-Up to make sure you get it right. When you are taking huge steps backwards like that, the game is never going to feel right.

We get spoiled and feel the awesomeness of some needed, amazing and infinitely-replayable feutures like EA UFC's 2 360 Head Movement or EA UFC's 2 removal of auto-lunges for a near 100% physics based striking, that was being held back by arcadey parries, unrealstic arcadey combo damage system and some striking/movement animations to chase down the opponents.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't know who got this communication wrong, but here is where you messed up in delivering with the striking of EA UFC 3:

We ask for more striking animations moving forward/backwards and we ask for a running button and in general more control over our movement etc. because we believe they would be great tools in someone's arsenal of countering the 360 head movement or the unbreakable block and walk away.

- As a response, the devs listened to our feedback, they recorded the animations and then, they go ahead and remove the 360 head movement and implement those "competitive" predictable rules of engagement, where our strikes are perfectly tracking our opponents or what not, based on where they input their head movement, instead of having a simulation play out and let the reach/positioning/real-world physics play out and determine wether a strike lands or not. Which kinda defeats the purpose of adding moving forward strike animations...

It's too big of a mess to be fixxed by patches and i am sure the reasoning with EA UFC 4 will be "We won't change anything in the stand-up because that's all we focused on in EA UFC 3. We are gonna take the next 2 years to fix the clinch/KOs & referee interactions/ground game."

Decisions like that have killed this series for me. The game feels horrible because of them and gets boring fast, not to mention the countless of other issues that are budget related.

The path this game has taken with the arcadey timing/counter windows etc. all the cheese that we see, will only be possibly fixxed, by making the overall product feel more pre-deterministic, unresponsive and unfun.

The whole purpose of EA UFC 3 feels like it was to make every feuture under full lock-down. Under full control and under predictable/repeatable outcomes. Just to make sure that stats are the biggest factor instead of any actual ingenuity. Kinda makes you think, it fits like a glove, right with that Ultimate Team pay-to-win mode. The more pre-deterministic the gameplay, the more scripted the outcome and the more they can favor those who pay for better stats. It all gets boring after 3-4 play sessions.

Last edited by manliest_Man; 02-18-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2018, 04:10 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Headmovement in EA UFC 3 seems to be Parries 2.0

What?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-18-2018, 04:17 AM   #3
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextupNico
What?

I went from trying to compare the parries of EA UFC 2 to the new head movement mechanics, into a general rant over the whole direction of EA UFC's 3 stand-up, getting developed into being a pre-deterministic and closed-down system, where stats/arcadey timing-based mechanics are more important, than managing your range/footwork.

Last edited by manliest_Man; 02-18-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 AM   #4
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by manliest_Man
I went from trying to compare the parries of EA UFC 2 to the new head movement mechanics, into a general rant over the whole direction of EA UFC's 3 stand-up, getting developed into being a pre-deterministic and closed-down system, where stats/arcadey timing-based mechanics are more important, than managing your range/footwork.
Reading comprehension issues. You're good lmao.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:01 AM   #5
Rookie

Ah I getcha. Honestly timing should be super important because reading range is a large portion needed to time an action. The term arcadey in the context your using it seems to suggest the arcade feature are high reward and easy to use correct me if I'm wrong there. But arcade fighters are 10 to 15 times harder to comprehend and master then knowing the slip counters here, but the particular situation your talking about as not being realistic is more real then you know. Watch any defensive boxer and there head is moving as soon as the other fighter throws something far enough away for them to read it, and if they are a counter puncher their punch will land almost free the difference here is those result can be repeated as long as the offense is predictable.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2018, 05:06 AM   #6
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Yeah... no.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:19 AM   #7
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Reading comprehension issues. You're good lmao.
didn't catch that one.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

C'mon, man; use the other head sway thread that's been around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »