Home

I want "Prime" versions of fighters in the game

This is a discussion on I want "Prime" versions of fighters in the game within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #49
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I want "Prime" versions of fighters in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Woodley doesn’t have enough pull to decide who he fights at this point. The ufc isn’t going to give Colby a shot right now because his name isn’t big enough even if Tyron asked for it. RDA has a bigger name and just beat the **** out of a former champ in a main event slot so he’s getting the shot.

I’m not making any assumption. His stats were based on the info we have available. He was dominant when he retired. He looked good against Bisping and finished him. If there was more info available, it would be used. There isn’t so you have to use what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The UFC have already offered him the Colby fight ahead of RDA so you're wrong there.

You're making the assumption that GSP is the only fighter to stay in his prime out of like the ten fighters he fought (again, big coincidence). And not that the game has just evolved and because GSP was so far ahead of the game back then. That isn't a logical assumption. This is kind of check mate and you're better off conceding one of the arguments. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Either the game has evolved and it's not that all those fighters aren't in their prime anymore or GSP isn't as good as he used to be.

Or... All of those guys being out of their prime other than GSP is a big coincidence. I gave you the opportunity to fall on that.

I personally believe GSP is still very good. There's just no way he dominates the division like he used to. The fighters have gotten better.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #50
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget7211
See, GSP's game is simple but layered, whereas Woodley just seems to back up and look for an opening. Like, GSP's jab looks like his takedowns, his inside low kick and his high kick and they all play off one another with each making the other more effective. Whereas with Woodley, he's fast and good at seeing openings, I guess? It's just bizarre to me that he doesn't have more in his game to setup his right hand, like can you imagine if he was as good at setting it up as McGregor is at setting up his left? A dude who hits as hard as Woodley should have more than a 33% KO rate in his fights, and that's my major problem with him.

And to be clear, I think the sports evolved too, like a lot, I just don't see anything to suggest that GSP's game specifically wouldn't work anymore, because we haven't seen him lose a bunch of fights like Hendricks, Penn and Anderson have, and the one fight we have for him in several years is off a huge layoff and up a weight class making it hard to judge in comparison to his old fights, and he won every round and finished his opponent.
Mhm. He'd be competitive with the top of the division, for sure. Just not dominant. I don't think his stats need a big nerf at all.

It doesn't bother me though. I understand that him having one fight makes it difficult to pinpoint numbers.

He can set it up. Really nice set up to KO the champion in fact.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #51
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
Mhm. He'd be competitive with the top of the division, for sure. Just not dominant. I don't think his stats need a big nerf at all.

It doesn't bother me though. I understand that him having one fight makes it difficult to pinpoint numbers.

He can set it up. Really nice set up to KO the champion in fact.

I know he can set it up, but like, he could do way more than a double jab feint into an overhand. That's all I'm saying, he could do more to make his game more effective. You'll also notice he's pressuring in that clip, which he almost never does, despite being pretty good at it, which is another thing that annoys me about him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #52
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
The UFC have already offered him the Colby fight ahead of RDA so you're wrong there.

You're making the assumption that GSP is the only fighter to stay in his prime out of like the ten fighters he fought (again, big coincidence). And not that the game has just evolved and because GSP was so far ahead of the game back then. That isn't a logical assumption. This is kind of check mate and you're better off conceding one of the arguments. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Either the game has evolved and it's not that all those fighters aren't in their prime anymore or GSP isn't as good as he used to be.

Or... All of those guys being out of their prime other than GSP is a big coincidence. I gave you the opportunity to fall on that.

I personally believe GSP is still very good. There's just no way he dominates the division like he used to. The fighters have gotten better.
Where did you read that? Two weeks ago, Dana said that RDA is next in line.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianma.../#4f1e2aa114db

Huh? Read the paragraph in bold again. That doesnt make any sense. I'll break it down for you.

I dont have to assume anything about the other 10 fighters. We have actual fights to prove that.

BJ Penn is 3-6 since the GSP fight. We have fights that show us he's lost a step.

Nick Diaz is 0-3 since 2012....We have fights that show us he's lost a step.

Carlos Condit is 2-4 since he fought GSP....We have fights that show us he's lost a step.

Hendricks is 3-6 since the GSP fight. We have fights that show us he's lost a step.

Same for Fitch, Koscheck and Hardy and others.

We have 2 1/2 rounds of GSP since he retired. Now you could take that second round where he looked a step slow and say "GSP has lost it." You could take the fact that GSP struggled to keep a middleweight down in round 2 and say "Top control should be nerfed". I just dont agree that we should take 1 fight and say he has lost a step.

I'm not assuming ANYTHING. You are. I'm saying you take how good he was before he retired with the 2 1/2 rounds of a fight he won....and the stats should come out similar (with small nerfs to strike speed and stamina).

You are the one that is saying we should assume that simply because fighters are no longer in their prime (when all of them are older and 35 plus), that means the game has evolved. No, it means that they got older and their skills fell off.

I conceded that also could be the case for GSP but.....we...dont...know...that. We have no tangible evidence that shows us that his skills have fallen off as he's gotten older. I'm not willing to assume just because everyone else in his generation has fallen off means that he wouldve.

He was a once in a generation talent. He couldve stayed in the UFC and lost the rematch against Hendricks or he couldve defended the title the last five years and beat everyone in his path including Woodley. Coincidence has nothing to do with it. I think stats should be based on performance not assumptions based on age.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #53
Pro

With the UFC touting its 25th year, this game has no history. Madden has historical teams, UFC 3 should have historical, prime stat champions too. It works well for the WWE games. Would it really hurt to have UFC 152 Mighty Mouse, UFC 164 Renan Barao, UFC 123 Jose Aldo, UFC 164 Anthony Pettis, UFC 171 Johny Hendricks, UFC 83 GSP, etc. Pretty much anything pre Reebok. They have all the models from the first UFC game, update the stats and use the current locomotion tech. Release it as a stand alone DLC expansion and take my $. I liked that FNC did exactly this. All the versions of Pacquaio were fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #54
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget7211
I know he can set it up, but like, he could do way more than a double jab feint into an overhand. That's all I'm saying, he could do more to make his game more effective. You'll also notice he's pressuring in that clip, which he almost never does, despite being pretty good at it, which is another thing that annoys me about him.
*cough* racism *cough*

Lol.

The way he cut the cage off there using the feints and landed the right perfectly on the chin takes some real skill and timing.

And does it really get much more effective than being the champion of the world in the best organisation (as well as beating the guy that beat the MW champion where he's best)?

I definitely agree with you to an extent. But what he's doing has worked for him very well recently. I mean it's such an achievement to beat Thompson like he did. Primarily on the feet. Yes, he outpointed him in most rounds by a little bit but he beat his ***. That's how you win fights.

Me vs you and Ahol on Tyron Woodley has made me look forward to his next fight even more though cause the stakes are high hahah. As I've said though... RDA is a very tough fight for him. But best believe if Eddie can stop RDA with a hook while he pressures him... Tyron will murder him.

To be clear... I've got RDA 55/45 in that fight. But I really don't have a clue what would happen. It's always easy to try and call it but I think the people who truly get the sport can acknowledge they don't understand it at all. At least in terms of predicting results.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #55
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEZERO
With the UFC touting its 25th year, this game has no history. Madden has historical teams, UFC 3 should have historical, prime stat champions too. It works well for the WWE games. Would it really hurt to have UFC 152 Mighty Mouse, UFC 164 Renan Barao, UFC 123 Jose Aldo, UFC 164 Anthony Pettis, UFC 171 Johny Hendricks, UFC 83 GSP, etc. Pretty much anything pre Reebok. They have all the models from the first UFC game, update the stats and use the current locomotion tech. Release it as a stand alone DLC expansion and take my $. I liked that FNC did exactly this. All the versions of Pacquaio were fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
FYI, FNC didnt make any money from its DLC. Likely one of the reasons why EA doesnt go for the paid DLC approach often when it comes to UFC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #56
MVP

Quote:
*cough* racism *cough*

Lol.

The way he cut the cage off there using the feints and landed the right perfectly on the chin takes some real skill and timing.

And does it really get much more effective than being the champion of the world in the best organisation (as well as beating the guy that beat the MW champion where he's best)?

I definitely agree with you to an extent. But what he's doing has worked for him very well recently. I mean it's such an achievement to beat Thompson like he did. Primarily on the feet. Yes, he outpointed him in most rounds by a little bit but he beat his ***. That's how you win fights.

Me vs you and Ahol on Tyron Woodley has made me look forward to his next fight even more though cause the stakes are high hahah. As I've said though... RDA is a very tough fight for him. But best believe if Eddie can stop RDA with a hook while he pressures him... Tyron will murder him.

To be clear... I've got RDA 55/45 in that fight. But I really don't have a clue what would happen. It's always easy to try and call it but I think the people who truly get the sport can acknowledge they don't understand it at all. At least in terms of predicting results.
Again, he barely beat Wonderboy, like skin of his teeth, and absolutely wouldn't have without the round of top control he had in both fights, like, replace that first round of their first fight with a duplicate of the second round and Wonderboy wins 48-46 on 2 judges cards. Same thing in the second fight, take that top control round away and replace it with any other round and he would have lost those fights. I also scored the 2nd fight for Wonderboy but it was so **** that I don't care. (MMA decisions has more draws and Thompson wins than Woodley wins)

And I've never said he's not an effective fighter, I've said the opposite. I just think he could be more effective with a few simple changes to his game that I think he's fully capable of making but hasn't, and I don't like fighters I feel have wasted potential, even if they've still achieved a lot. It's very similar to Pettis for me, Pettis achieved a lot in his career but also didn't live up to his potential, same thing with JDS, or Cain or Barao.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »