Home

The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

This is a discussion on The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:25 PM   #41
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
Bro... I'm not talking about simple 3-4 strike combinations. I'm talking about difficult ones. They're barely ever used online at all. Period. I know what I'm talking about. You're barely an online player so believe me. The combos shouldn't be as difficult as they are either. It's 100% a cop-out. The fighters that use them don't find them difficult to throw lol. There's also a difference between kinda hard and very difficult. They're very difficult to throw with any kind of fluidity consistently. Go into practice mode and try some of the harder level 5 boxing combos and you'll see what I mean.

If they have to be like that... fine. But the explanation you're using is almost as bad as the one GPD used for why not much damage is done to a fighter who's idle (because they're rolling with the punches). If a mechanic is bad... just own it. I understand if there isn't a better option. We can't have a serious conversation when bogus excuses like that are used though.

^
here's a 14 strike combo... with body/head mix ups. Pulling off a 4 strike combo is already difficult as it is to pull off with fluidity. It's not realistic. Unless you were using someone like Yoel Romero. But he doesn't have the combinations anyway.

I'm okay with you saying nothing can be done. I made the thread to get an answer and I got it. I'm not okay with this lame excuse though.
It's totally not a cop out and that's not a 14 strike combo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #42
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Re: The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJamesKraus
Diaz can throw long combos pretty easily... he’s now my go to at WW now because of it. With all the uppercut spam, I can just overwhelm them with pitty patty combinations.

Of course the animation isn’t there like you have already campaigned for but the effect is.

Long combos are difficult to master/remember though, it doesn’t help that the combo list is a nuisance to pull up all the time.

I would like the combo/view moves section to be online. Can you help us out even a little bit devs
There are def some that are easier than others. But if you have one that mixes up hooks/uppers to the body and head it's pretty ridiculous. Then you have to actually try to get it to come out fast which is very difficult. Then when you factor in getting more than one down. It's much more difficult than ideal.

Of course you have 3-4 strike combos that are much easier but yeah. I just think disguising this issue as some kind of attempt at realism is ridiculous and inaccurate. No offence man but it's even more frustrating because it's become something several people are repeating.

I would also love to have access to the combos online though. It would definitely be something and much appreciated.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #43
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
It's totally not a cop out and that's not a 14 strike combo.
Because there's a slight break where he goes for a bit of head control? Semantics at the end of the day. The GIF illustrates my point. I could bring out more GIF's lol. How isn't it a cop-out?
Old 02-25-2018, 11:32 PM   #44
Banned

The hard combos idea is dumb. This isn't tekken or mortal kombat. Combos should be free flow like they always been and with real stats for each limb not just crammed into striking power and speed. This has gone so much further from sim than anything. Nate rarely throws kicks but his kick speed is 94? (Or something like that).

Then the input delay that "doesn't exist" makes it even better. The beta was more responsive than this. I mean the community on this has to be ridiculously small when you can already run into the same person a couple times in one play session, even searching multiple classes.

This is not Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Street Fighter, or etc.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #45
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Because there's a slight break where he goes for a bit of head control? Semantics at the end of the day. The GIF illustrates my point. I could bring out more GIF's lol. How isn't it a cop-out?
Smith was also hurt in the gif which lead to his ability to throw 14 strikes in succession. Technically you can do something similar in the game during health events if your opponent doesnt throw back.

Does it flow as well in the game? Nah, but its possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #46
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Because there's a pause. It's chaining multiple 2/3/4 strike combos fluidly, which you can totally do in game. And it's not particularly difficult.

And you're saying the control scheme is a cop out, but you want to make the most common and basic inputs the simplest, and the less common and more advanced inputs the more complex, when simple across the board is not an option.

I don't know how you could possibly argue with that philosophy.

And the rolling with the punches thing is not a cop out either. It's intentional.

Just because you don't agree or don't like it doesn't mean it's me making excuses.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:46 PM   #47
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Smith was also hurt in the gif which lead to his ability to throw 14 strikes in succession. Technically you can do something similar in the game during health events if your opponent doesnt throw back.

Does it flow as well in the game? Nah, but its possible.
The reason he threw them when he was hurt is because he was focused on defending himself. That's fine. It doesn't justify the combos being so hard in game though. You wouldn't have people throwing them like crazy against a non-hurt opponent in game either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Because there's a pause. It's chaining multiple 2/3/4 strike combos fluidly, which you can totally do in game. And it's not particularly difficult.

And you're saying the control scheme is a cop out, but you want to make the most common and basic inputs the simplest, and the less common and more advanced inputs the more complex, when simple across the board is not an option.

I don't know how you could possibly argue with that philosophy.

And the rolling with the punches thing is not a cop out either. It's intentional.

Just because you don't agree or don't like it doesn't mean it's me making excuses.
It's not 2/3/4 strike combos though... There's one pause. Which would split it into one 6 strike combo and one 8 strike combo. Otherwise he's always throwing one of his hands. Watch it again mate. He could throw it altogether if he wanted to but he went for a bit of head control.

I'm saying that the control scheme is okay if it's the best that can be done. I'm saying it's a cop-out when people say that complex combos are hard for fighters to throw so they should be as hard as they are in game for the purpose of realism. That is a cop-out.

The fighter isn't rolling with punches in game though. He's literally taking them flush to the chin. That's why I see it as a cop-out. It's an okay explanation I guess... But like I said... The fighter is taking knockout shots to the chin in game.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:53 PM   #48
MVP

Call me crazy but I really don't have an issue with throwing various 3-4 strike combos, especially not boxing combos, my favourite combo is 1-3-4-5 (Jab-Lead Hook-rear hook-lead upper incase I got the numbers wrong) mixed up with 1-5-4-3.

Unless there's a body teep or spinning handplant kick somewhere in that combo I don't have much an issue with the controls.

Mix ups can be a little riskier now with the changes to body hooks and uppers, I have been throwing them less, I more try to end on body kicks now when I wanna go low.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »