Home

The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

This is a discussion on The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:55 PM   #49
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
I'm saying that the control scheme is okay if it's the best that can be done. I'm saying it's a cop-out when people say that complex combos are hard for fighters to throw so they should be as hard as they are in game for the purpose of realism. That is a cop-out.
For the purposes of realism, which would be more realistic?

Simple combos being harder to input, or more complex combos beiing harder to input?

For the purposes of realism, how long does it take someone training kickboxing to learn to throw a technically solid 1-2 combo, versus a technically solid roundhouse to wheel kick combo?

Why should a players experience learning to play the game be radically different from the experience of learning the techniques in real life? In relative terms. If we're talking realism.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:00 AM   #50
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Re: The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

Do any of you players ever use a mic? I'm just asking since I do, and I get a lot of comments from people saying they don't know what's going on. (Considering hard combos among other things)

Can I call them hard combos, should I be calling them complex combos?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:06 AM   #51
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
For the purposes of realism, which would be more realistic?

Simple combos being harder to input, or more complex combos beiing harder to input?

For the purposes of realism, how long does it take someone training kickboxing to learn to throw a technically solid 1-2 combo, versus a technically solid roundhouse to wheel kick combo?

Why should a players experience learning to play the game be radically different from the experience of learning the techniques in real life? In relative terms. If we're talking realism.
More complex being harder to input. Without a doubt. If those are the two options I of course agree with the decision.

I just think the controls are too cluttered and if it was possible to make them easier it would be ideal. Some people are saying they should be as hard as they are even if we could make them easier though. That's what I was taking issue with.

It's cool though. It is what it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2018, 12:10 AM   #52
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
More complex being harder to input. Without a doubt. If those are the two options I of course agree with the decision.

I just think the controls are too cluttered and if it was possible to make them easier it would be ideal. Some people are saying they should be as hard as they are even if we could make them easier though. That's what I was taking issue with.

It's cool though. It is what it is.
I would always choose to make them easier where possible. On that we can agree for sure.

If I had the option to make every strike a single button press, I would take it.

But I would make the jab and straight the easier to reach buttons.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:28 AM   #53
Pro

TheJamesKraus's Arena

Quote:
There are def some that are easier than others. But if you have one that mixes up hooks/uppers to the body and head it's pretty ridiculous. Then you have to actually try to get it to come out fast which is very difficult. Then when you factor in getting more than one down. It's much more difficult than ideal.

Of course you have 3-4 strike combos that are much easier but yeah. I just think disguising this issue as some kind of attempt at realism is ridiculous and inaccurate. No offence man but it's even more frustrating because it's become something several people are repeating.

I would also love to have access to the combos online though. It would definitely be something and much appreciated.
It’s fluid to go from head to body than it is body to head. But I can still use the body-head to catch guys out.

Another thing on this debate is everything would be better if there were no hard combos but striking more to do with the move sets.

Like the Diaz brothers have pretty terrible kicks... so Level 1. Barboza has insane kicks so Level 5 etc etc.

That way you can throw whatever you want but the Level 1 vs Level 5 difference in power/speed would be very apparent. As it stands Diaz can go kick for kick with Barboza which is insane.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:32 AM   #54
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

I can go body-head and head-body... Don't get me wrong. But there are some combos that are frustratingly difficult to pull off with fluidity. Is what it is though. Seems to be the best case scenario.

Barboza does have higher level kicks than Diaz. Not sure what you're saying mate?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:18 AM   #55
MVP

Quote:
Right. A lot of them involve the bumpers and I also think that's whats making them particularly difficult.

I kinda feel that people looking at it from the perspective that they should be hard are being kinda simple minded. And are also terrified of UFC 2 combos which would never come to this game anyway.

3/4 strike combinations aren't that rare for one.

For two... it wouldn't turn this game into a crazy combo spam fest. They can be countered. It's like whenever you mention parries people freak out and tell you they're terrible and not used in MMA anyway. Both things are untrue if they're implemented correctly.

Combos have been this time. There's no combo multiplier and counters will stop people in their tracks. The problem is a lot of them are just too difficult to throw.

I wonder how many people in this thread have had a good go at some of the boxing combos in practice mode. Cause I'd like to hear from those people.

I also want to mention that most fighters do not have the complex boxing combos. It's only the ones that are actually good at boxing. So again... I don't see how this "it should be hard to throw 3/4 strike combos" thing is relevant.

I expect this to be something people realise is a problem later in the game's cycle when this "bigger strike combinations should be hard to throw" thing stops getting parroted. It's a flawed argument in many different ways.
First paragraph says it all ...the bumpers make it tough to input .

Sent from my Infinix Zero 4 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2018, 02:24 AM   #56
Rookie

I never really liked the new buttons, even when playing the beta. I get why it was changed but i still think its weird. Having to press 4 buttons just for a body uppercut is very odd and sometimes the game doesnt read my input for long combos or my fighter throws a strike i didnt want to. The only alternative i can think of is using the analog stick to punch like in Fight Night. But that would mean a whole new button scheme would have to be implemented

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »