Home

The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

This is a discussion on The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

OVR: 0
The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

So I was just in practice mode attempting some complex level 5 boxing combos. That **** is hard. I don't like it at all tbh. 1 complex combo is very hard to get down. Let alone dozens.

I'm in the top 25 in ranked and I haven't seen anybody using complex combos yet. Not one person. Is this because they're too difficult to learn or is it because they're not effective? I have a feeling it's a bit of both. I think you can win just as easily without them (I'm sure they'd be effective if implemented correctly tho) but I think they're just too difficult to input fast. There's some really difficult body/head mix ups to pull off fast and attempting them would just get you murdered in ranked.

I'd recommend going into practice mode and trying out some of the long level 5 combinations. I honestly think the controls need work to make it easier. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Gonna edit this in as it's a response to most of the people in this thread...

I kinda feel that people looking at it from the perspective that they should be hard are being kinda simple minded. And are also terrified of UFC 2 combos which would never come to this game anyway.

3/4 strike combinations aren't that rare for one.

For two... it wouldn't turn this game into a crazy combo spam fest. They can be countered. It's like whenever you mention parries people freak out and tell you they're terrible and not used in MMA anyway. Both things are untrue if they're implemented correctly.

Combos have been this time. There's no combo multiplier and counters will stop people in their tracks. The problem is a lot of them are just too difficult to throw.

I wonder how many people in this thread have had a good go at some of the boxing combos in practice mode. Cause I'd like to hear from those people.

I also want to mention that most fighters do not have the complex boxing combos. It's only the ones that are actually good at boxing. So again... I don't see how this "it should be hard to throw 3/4 strike combos" thing is relevant.

I expect this to be something people realise is a problem later in the game's cycle when this "bigger strike combinations should be hard to throw" thing stops getting parroted. It's a flawed argument in several different ways.

Last edited by Serengeti1; 02-25-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
MVP

Re: The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

Honestly, this is fine to me. How often do you see fighters throwing 4-5 strikes combinations with a lot of level changes in the combination? It's not a super common thing and I think it's good that it's difficult to do. Also, I'm not sure what could be improved about the controls without taking away moving and striking, which I don't want personally.

Also, why do you capitalise every word in your thread titles? Like, it's fine I'm just curious if it's deliberate or an autocorrect thing.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Rookie

Re: The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

I don't think there is any incentive to learn combos when everyone can just fire off 4 hooks like Cody no love and get a rock or a finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

The controls could hardly be easier than they are now.

And compared to other fight games, the execution requirements of this one are delightfully low.

Just gotta bite the bullet.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget7211
Honestly, this is fine to me. How often do you see fighters throwing 4-5 strikes combinations with a lot of level changes in the combination? It's not a super common thing and I think it's good that it's difficult to do. Also, I'm not sure what could be improved about the controls without taking away moving and striking, which I don't want personally.

Also, why do you capitalise every word in your thread titles? Like, it's fine I'm just curious if it's deliberate or an autocorrect thing.
It's Not Just The Body/Head Mix Ups Though. They're Just The Ones I Tried. I Don't Know How To Improve The Controls Either But Working That Out Is Above My Pay Grade. I Even Throw A Leg Kick When Meaning To Throw An Uppercut Which Are Both Supposed To Be Easy Strikes To Throw. I've Seen Others Have Problems With Those Same Two Strikes, As Well As Other Strikes Too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget7211
???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
It's Not Just The Body/Head Mix Ups Though. They're Just The Ones I Tried. I Don't Know How To Improve The Controls Either But Working That Out Is Above My Pay Grade. I Even Throw A Leg Kick When Meaning To Throw An Uppercut Which Are Both Supposed To Be Easy Strikes To Throw. I've Seen Others Have Problems With Those Same Two Strikes, As Well As Other Strikes Too.

???
Well played sir
Old 02-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShogunsAssassin
I don't think there is any incentive to learn combos when everyone can just fire off 4 hooks like Cody no love and get a rock or a finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
This. This is the ONLY combo you need to know right now 😂 oh don’t forget to sway/duck before too
Old 02-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
The controls could hardly be easier than they are now.

And compared to other fight games, the execution requirements of this one are delightfully low.

Just gotta bite the bullet.
Are you sure there's not some rubik's cube god that can't figure this out? Cause that's what I'm hoping for.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »