Home

Input Lag vs Startup Frames

This is a discussion on Input Lag vs Startup Frames within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2018, 09:52 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Input Lag vs Startup Frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
Although their speed is displayed by the same numbers, the heavier classes are slower. Same with power. The heavier ones hit harder.
Due to the added frames which make it feel more sluggish.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #18
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

How else would lighter classes be any faster?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:10 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by magx950
If he doesn't understand why it's ****ed up that some players are on 30 fps and 60 fps, he doesn't understand fighting games period
I hate to burst your bubble but I play on Pro and base and can 100% without a doubt confirm that 30 vs 60 merely equates to, in this instance, a smoother looking game.

As I'm sure has been said, even on pro, the BGS is still 30fps, there is no advantage, it just looks smoother for the most part. Though certain venues seem to give my FPS some chop.

But yeah, in THIS case, 60 v 30 don't make a difference. 30 just looks kinda janky if you've been plating 60.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRommel
The Pro definitely runs the game at a steady 60fps when set to favor performance over fidelity (4k). I can't speak for the X as I don't have one but I doubt it varies. As Solid said, I'm a PC gamer and have been since 1998. The game isn't CPU intensive and the upgrade consoles didn't touch CPU, but they upgraded the GPU to one that has newer architecture and more VRAM. The game directly benefits from the additional VRAM by way of increased resolution or frame rate. I don't detect it ever slipping under 60fps in performance mode, even with the Pro's new supersampling antialiasing feature turned on (which the game does use if you have it enabled in system settings).

If the game ever noticeably dipped below 60fps, I'd be the first and loudest person crying about it to the devs, but they shut me up good. In terms of performance, the game runs great (and looks great, especially without all the motion blur that was so pervasive in UFC2).
Interesting, I don't use the supersampling feature but I swear to goooood I'm getting a variable FPS, certain venues seem to really effect it, but essentially I often notice the game "speed up" for lack of a better word.

Am I just crazy then? I really thought I was getting FPS bumps, but it also kinda felt like a Vsync sorta thing where if I wasn't hitting 60, it'd cap at 45, then bump back up, if that makes sense, its never been a few FPS, always a large bump that makes the action on screen look markedly different (generally, quicker, smoother)

On a side note, the supersampling feature, how is it?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Its simple. Let stats make the difference not added frames to make the game sluggish.

EA MMA and the Undisputed games did it just fine. These guys came up with this random idea of adding frames and nobody likes the feel of the game. I'd even say the beta was more responsive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #22
Rookie

Nekrotik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Damage
Its simple. Let stats make the difference not added frames to make the game sluggish.

EA MMA and the Undisputed games did it just fine. These guys came up with this random idea of adding frames and nobody likes the feel of the game. I'd even say the beta was more responsive.
I agree, the beta was more responsive.

As I said in my first post, it seems the devs only were able to really test on local multiplayer, and did not/could not fully test in real-world environments, so all these changes they made were made based on the local multiplayer experience.

In the real world, those changes don't work out as well as they'd anticipated.

The weird thing is, I can play any other fighting game on my PS4 and not experience these issues. For the most part, if I try to time an attack in Mortal Kombat, most of the time I am successful. In UFC3, it's a crap shoot. In order to defend against anything, I have to input the controls before my opponent even begins their attack, and even if I do that, half the time it doesn't work.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #23
Rookie

I always feel I'm 2 steps behind my opponent online or offline it feels very sluggish!! If I throw hook, uppercut when I'm finished throwing my uppercut my character just finished throwing the hook I don't know what you call it weather it be input lag or startup frames but it is there!! The beta didn't feel like that at all and no other fighting game I've played either. I still play undisputed 3 and when I press a button in that game it feels like the strikes come off instantly. This topic has been brought up on this forum multiple times but devs and game changers claim its not true!
Old 03-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Actual animation speed, recovery frames, movement speed

Adding lag is a bad idea

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »