Home

How to Counter Head Movement Spam - Video Guide

This is a discussion on How to Counter Head Movement Spam - Video Guide within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2018, 01:08 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How to Counter Head Movement Spam - Video Guide

Thanks. Some good pointers here, loading up combos and moving forward is a big part of my problem. I am good at predicting their head movement but need to work on minimizing damage when they slip through.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #10
Rookie

This is a great a video, I have started using the back lunge and body work to tire them out. I was struggling to judge the moving slip towards the camera because it looks like a duck to me, so I’d try time an uppercut which would be slipped leading to me being fully unconscious, so now I just play it safe with back lunges and single strikes after watching this.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
Rookie

I really don't think people are getting this. Someone mindlessly headspamming isn't the problem. The problem is the inconsistency of the rock. I throw a hook timed perfectly when they side sway, but it does the same exact damage as a regular hook, but they throw one back and THEY get the damage bonus.

If it was consistent and THEY get hit with the damage bonus as they should've never swayed into a hook then they would stop. It is no need to put a stamina tax or anything, make the damage consistent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #12
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSkiLLZZ
I really don't think people are getting this. Someone mindlessly headspamming isn't the problem. The problem is the inconsistency of the rock. I throw a hook timed perfectly when they side sway, but it does the same exact damage as a regular hook, but they throw one back and THEY get the damage bonus.

If it was consistent and THEY get hit with the damage bonus as they should've never swayed into a hook then they would stop. It is no need to put a stamina tax or anything, make the damage consistent.
I personally believe there are a few hit detection issues in-game

I justify it by saying that 'in real life' some strikes LOOK flush but actually hit at just the right angle they don't do damage (or vice versa)

But in reality I think it's more that the game engine needs to be tuned a bit re: Hit Detection and Hit Boxes, etc, I swear there are a few gaps lol
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 03-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
Rookie

It's nice to see people taking the time to make tactics up. Well done mate.

That said, the game is basically a game of back dash, bob weave and run. This is not MMA, imo.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
EA Game Changer

ZombieRommel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Besides the content I like how quick information is presented on the video, along with the fight afterwords.
Thanks, I hate when youtubers beat around the bush and try to fluff out the video haha. I also probably could've added more than 4 tips, but in reality those 4 are the main things you need in my opinion, and I didn't want to make something simple into something complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCBlackbelt
Excellent guide, I do struggle with a particular type of head movement, the one I mentioned in a thread.

It's not a pressure-oriented movement, like most fighters. Those are easier to handle by executing a hook or uppercut. It's more of a baiting head movement that combines itself with body strikes to completely drain your stamina. A lot of Cody Garbrant players use this style and its very difficult, you essentially have to play their game. I noticed leg kicks help a little, but only so much
I think the style you're talking about is similar to the one Pryoxis uses on Xbox. According to ZHunter, a good counter to that style is to slip their strikes and land power body shots to drain them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
nice man thx for the video, I'll chk it out tonite for sure, any bit of information that can help against these fools is invaluable
Right? I'm hoping enough people implement these tactics to shift the meta away from head spam. As fun as it is to shut one of these guys down, it would please me for them to not even want to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbenz1993
I fought some dork last night named who dropped ya he was using a similiar style and I finished him with an uppercut, he was crying I got lucky so I gave him the rematch and he did it again except he added a rear uppercut and after I noticed I slipped to the right every time to avoid the rear upper I finished him and he banned me from Cotys twitch lmao.

Anyway, great video and thanks for taking the time to help us out.
The cheesers who cry "luck" are the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by The meticulous Esp
Thank you very much !!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEZERO
Been playing this way with low rated fighters a bunch. The detailed information about single strikes was insightful. Thanks for the vid post Zombie, good job.
You're welcome. I learned a lot of this stuff by watching Martial's fights and listening to some insights he had. I just inserted a few tweaks to make the formula for beating these guys less risky and more consistent. Martial had figured out the need to plant and throw power strikes. I added the addendum of not throwing more than 1 at a time, and the lunges & body work to gas them faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt fists
Thanks. Some good pointers here, loading up combos and moving forward is a big part of my problem. I am good at predicting their head movement but need to work on minimizing damage when they slip through.
Yeah, for me this was the biggest puzzle piece. I would wing hooks and uppercuts at the spammers, and sometimes I would KO them in devastating fashion. Other times they'd KO me in devastating fashion. The element missing was consistency, and you reach high consistency by minimizing the risky elements of fighting these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva_Knows
This is a great a video, I have started using the back lunge and body work to tire them out. I was struggling to judge the moving slip towards the camera because it looks like a duck to me, so I’d try time an uppercut which would be slipped leading to me being fully unconscious, so now I just play it safe with back lunges and single strikes after watching this.
You are right. The camera does sometimes make the slip directions ambiguous. An inside slip can look a lot like a duck, and that's one of the quirks I believe the cheesers bank on. They try to force you to throw something powerful back whenever they come in and bank on you guessing wrong. The lunge negates whatever they decide to do and the body work falls outside their plan of always getting you to throw something powerful to the head. Then when you do throw to the head, it's on your time frame and done in a way to minimize your damage if you guess wrong, and hopefully by then they're already gassed and therefore will land less powerful counters than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSkiLLZZ

GPD is aware of the consistency issue. I think he wants to make it so that slipping into an intercepting strike always does more damage than slipping a naked strike and landing a counter, to make slipping riskier.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #15
Rookie

Great post. Thank you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #16
Pro

How to Counter Head Movement Spam - Video Guide

I got head movement trolled last night by CABRAWL. He was M. Johnson and I was Vick. He took the center of the cage, set his feet, and just bobbed and weaved head movement and let me throw, not returning. Even when I landed single shots or 2, it didn't deter his tactic. He didn't take the same damage because he wasn't getting the extra vulnerability when getting caught throwing. I would miss, be very vulnerable and he still wouldn't throw. The body punch damage was buffed by his leans and ducks. I backed up out of punch range and kicked the body, but that didn't do much either with leaning protection. I clinched successfully but couldn't hold him there or force the ground. He was very disciplined and intermittently returned a couple punches especially when I would throw single leg kicks. The windup would get punished and the two hit body hook on a leaning opponent to leg kick was punishable too as he had a good understanding of the mechanics at play. Half a round of this, and with some big uppercut and hook misses, I was at a stamina disadvantage despite the minor damage he'd taken. From that point on, he picked me apart with mix ups after he used his initial tactic to get some rocks putting me in further danger. It was the biggest cheese ball tactic I've experienced. I felt pretty helpless for the first time, and to top it off the guy is a good player, not a scrub doing anything to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by SMOKEZERO; 03-14-2018 at 01:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »