Home

Takedowns and Clinch

This is a discussion on Takedowns and Clinch within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Takedowns and Clinch

The problem is that the input for takedown defense is block + down, and 90% of people hold block for the entire fight when they're not throwing. I'm no expert, but I assume IRL, it's hard to defend against strikes and takedowns simultaneously.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
The problem is that the input for takedown defense is block + down, and 90% of people hold block for the entire fight when they're not throwing. I'm no expert, but I assume IRL, it's hard to defend against strikes and takedowns simultaneously.

It's much harder, and I raised this point when GDP asked why shouldn't effective takedown defense be rewareded, it's because it's too easy in this game. In real life, if you don't have the athleticism or experience to sprawl, reposition your hips immediately, maintain balance while disoriented, control the head positioning of your opponent, you are likely going for a ride.

That's why in real life there exists "takedown threats", which limit fighter's commitments to certain shots and reduces their striking effectiveness. It's why Thompson can be outstruck by Woodley for example. In this game, strikers can feel free to pressure the wrestler with no remorse, just be cautious of any clinch entries.

The clinch has many ways of escaping too, it's not too difficult unless you are facing top 50 players.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #19
MVP

For the time being, I bet throwing strikes to the body/legs and then shooting for a takedown could be a viable strategy. You can't deny a takedown if you're holding LT/L2. If they refuse to block low, just keep attacking with strikes.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #20
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
For the time being, I bet throwing strikes to the body/legs and then shooting for a takedown could be a viable strategy. You can't deny a takedown if you're holding LT/L2. If they refuse to block low, just keep attacking with strikes.
No instead they'll do a counter submission and you'll risk getting subbed in two gates.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #21
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
No instead they'll do a counter submission and you'll risk getting subbed in two gates.
Unless your me and knows the only way to take the fight to the ground against Find The Door is to risk that takedown counter sub and hope you can escape in time (which i know i can)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #22
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCBlackbelt
in real life there exists "takedown threats", which limit fighter's commitments to certain shots and reduces their striking effectiveness.
Amen. I think single collar clinch should be very dangerous for both sides and very easy to get from close range.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
Over under seems next to impossible to achieve and it's one of the most common clinch entries IRL
It really gets stuffed like 95% of the time in this game. Needs smaller window
Old 03-18-2018, 02:14 AM   #24
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

I'd consider buffing the OU entry a high priority change.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »