Home

Why does the one overhand cover like 1/3 of the octagon?

This is a discussion on Why does the one overhand cover like 1/3 of the octagon? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #25
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why does the one overhand cover like 1/3 of the octagon?

Kajun Johnson did the majority of the strike motion caption, personally i think they should have got someone who is actually a world renown striker but hey who am i to judge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Monkman
Kajun Johnson did the majority of the strike motion caption, personally i think they should have got someone who is actually a world renown striker but hey who am i to judge.
It’s not a mocap issue

It’s physically impossible which is why the fighters slide forward in game as if they’re magnetized.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:38 AM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
His torso is bent down but his weight is on his rear leg when he steps. That’s how you generate the power to cover distance. Watch it in slow mo if you have to. He shifts weight to his rear leg before exploding forward.

The 2 can be thrown with that same step as a lead strike but you cant take that same step/hop twice in a row.

Edit: Still waiting on evidence from your side
Ok, this is kind of a silly thing to debate about. I think we both agree that the "lunging" strikes in this game cover too much distance especially considering the artificial "warping" of the character sliding to his/her opponent as if drawn by a magnet. That's the important thing, and I think we are "on the same team" so to speak. But I am really passionate about martial arts and seek to understand it. So if there is something I am completely blind to, I have to know. So when you say that it's impossible to throw an advancing cross after you've already lunged forward, I've got to get to the bottom of it.

I think there might be a little confusion/miscommunication regarding the weight on the lead leg vs rear leg issue. It is true that when you lift your lead leg and push off the rear leg, your rear leg is temporarily bearing your weight for a split second. Literally speaking, that's right, it is absolutely true that during that split second your weight is "on" the rear leg.

When most martial artists talk about which leg their weight is on, they are usually talking about which leg the center of mass is located above. And we are usually talking about stance. So when you said that lunging forward is impossible with your weight on your lead leg, that translated to me as, "you cannot lunge from a stance in which your center of mass is located more over the lead leg than the rear leg." Which GSP proved to us that you can indeed do a forward hopping step from such a stance.
(In the first "experiment" maybe I should have said, "position your center of mass directly over your rear foot." Maybe that would make more sense)

Now, you can't take that hop twice in a row? Is there a long forgotten Newton's fourth law of physics that I don't know about? "An object having lunged forward may not, thereafter, lunge a second time"?

What is preventing a person from doing two hop steps in a row?

I have a video here of an old Karate point fighting match. Several times in this match, Kagawa does a hop step forward and then immediately a lunging cross. No, he doesn't throw a jab; I'll give you that. However, that's not what you said was impossible. You said it was impossible to do two hop steps in a row, or a lunging cross right after that hop step. Here is evidence to the contrary. Look at 1:20, 2:12, and a great slow-mo view at 3:00

https://youtu.be/T6euRSjH9Lg

And just for good measure, since we are throwing the word lunge around:

https://youtu.be/FfcS3_3LWvE

You probably already know this situation is possible and we probably just have a communication problem.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:42 AM   #28
Rookie

I fight some people in UT Who cover a crazy amount of distance with some overhand combo + insane speed.

I try in practice but cant do the same. Im slower and cover much less distance. I dont have haymaker but I have rear overhand lvl 3.

Whats the trick ? I want to record in practice and try few counter because some ppl masterise some overhand combo low/high, high/low. If im not ko after 1 round, my Block is gone or i have my head or leg very low

Last edited by Poulpy; 04-18-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:19 AM   #29
Pro

MeowingForVengeance's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulpy
I fight some people in UT Who cover a crazy amount of distance with some overhand combo + insane speed.
Lead leg kick, rear overhand. Every fighter's got it if they've got a rear overhand. I believe that's the combo you're looking for.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyJudoka
Ok, this is kind of a silly thing to debate about. I think we both agree that the "lunging" strikes in this game cover too much distance especially considering the artificial "warping" of the character sliding to his/her opponent as if drawn by a magnet. That's the important thing, and I think we are "on the same team" so to speak. But I am really passionate about martial arts and seek to understand it. So if there is something I am completely blind to, I have to know. So when you say that it's impossible to throw an advancing cross after you've already lunged forward, I've got to get to the bottom of it.

I think there might be a little confusion/miscommunication regarding the weight on the lead leg vs rear leg issue. It is true that when you lift your lead leg and push off the rear leg, your rear leg is temporarily bearing your weight for a split second. Literally speaking, that's right, it is absolutely true that during that split second your weight is "on" the rear leg.

When most martial artists talk about which leg their weight is on, they are usually talking about which leg the center of mass is located above. And we are usually talking about stance. So when you said that lunging forward is impossible with your weight on your lead leg, that translated to me as, "you cannot lunge from a stance in which your center of mass is located more over the lead leg than the rear leg." Which GSP proved to us that you can indeed do a forward hopping step from such a stance.
(In the first "experiment" maybe I should have said, "position your center of mass directly over your rear foot." Maybe that would make more sense)

Now, you can't take that hop twice in a row? Is there a long forgotten Newton's fourth law of physics that I don't know about? "An object having lunged forward may not, thereafter, lunge a second time"?

What is preventing a person from doing two hop steps in a row?

I have a video here of an old Karate point fighting match. Several times in this match, Kagawa does a hop step forward and then immediately a lunging cross. No, he doesn't throw a jab; I'll give you that. However, that's not what you said was impossible. You said it was impossible to do two hop steps in a row, or a lunging cross right after that hop step. Here is evidence to the contrary. Look at 1:20, 2:12, and a great slow-mo view at 3:00

https://youtu.be/T6euRSjH9Lg

And just for good measure, since we are throwing the word lunge around:

https://youtu.be/FfcS3_3LWvE

You probably already know this situation is possible and we probably just have a communication problem.
Yes! Video evidence!

So I think the difference here is about the shifting of weight and I want to make it clear that’s my point.

In the video you posted the martial artists never shift their weight to the lead foot at 1:20 which would prevent the 2nd hop.

What happens at 2:12 looks a bit closer but notice how he throws single strikes with his weight fully committed to the step before that. Then he feints and doesnt fully commit (watch it in slow mo.) He picks up his lead leg and comes straight down and then pushes off of his rear leg.

3:00

He does a small hop (weight not shifted on either leg) and then completely over extends for the straight.

So I mispoke in reference to hops in general not being possible back to back. I meant in the specific instance of shifting weight back and forth and larger hops like in game.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #31
Rookie

Overhand is easy to counter with 1-2 from correct angle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowingForVengeance
Lead leg kick, rear overhand. Every fighter's got it if they've got a rear overhand. I believe that's the combo you're looking for.
I think you right. I cant do Before because IA check leg kick and stop the combo.

But i cant cover crazy distance or speed like this guys. Have to lunge, plant feet, move or counter ?

Just fight another overhand spammer, Uppercut seems good for counter but hard to time well.
I dont know why i miss his head a lot when i see this combo coming.. May be angle or timing.

Last edited by Poulpy; 04-18-2018 at 08:36 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »