Home

Why don't you like grappling in this game?

This is a discussion on Why don't you like grappling in this game? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What's your reason for not enjoying grappling in this game?
I don't like grappling in real life either 1 1.54%
The grappling in this game is too unrealistic 33 50.77%
The grappling in this game is too realistic 0 0%
The grappling in this game is too slow pace 28 43.08%
The grappling relies too much on stamina 13 20.00%
The grappling is too limited 45 69.23%
Other (Please post your reason) 9 13.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Why don't you like grappling in this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Monkman
Im still saying EA Vancouver needs to contact Victor Lugo and bring him on for the next installment.
That ship has long since passed.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

It's not the best grappling engine but I still thoroughly enjoy it.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Monkman
Im still saying EA Vancouver needs to contact Victor Lugo and bring him on for the next installment.
Lugo is a talented dude. Made some of the best changes of the last ten years to Madden on top of his ea mma work.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #20
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
My take is no game has ever gotten it right:

UD3 had great GNP, more positions (butterfly guard, more cage positions) and things like head movement on the ground. The sub system sucked and the overall mechanics were more turn based than UFC 3.

UFC3's system is better than any other games in my opinion. It isnt turn based, there is the momentum system and there is more of a flow. The sub system is average and the GNP is really weak. Also there should be more positions.
Pretty much this.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #21
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

Quote:
That ship has long since passed.
Yes, makes me a sad panda. He is currently working on Injustice 2 making bank.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #22
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

I think this games grappling SYSTEM is the best ever made. The simultaneous grappling alone has made it that imo. Then you have other things like the momentum and grapple advantage. With that said though, it is still very basic and lacking in things like positions. With UD3 even though the grappling system was turn based, you still could do more cuz of the various ground, cage and clinch positions and better clinch locomotion. Then you have the td's, which is probably the most basic part of the grappling yet. No real sense of struggle to them and literally every fighter has the same exact td animations. I feel like we won't be seeing big improvements to these areas until the next game though. That said, I still think the devs have done a great job with what has been done so far and I feel eventually the game will get there.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #23
Pro

Quote:
My take is no game has ever gotten it right:

UD3 had great GNP, more positions (butterfly guard, more cage positions) and things like head movement on the ground. The sub system sucked and the overall mechanics were more turn based than UFC 3.

UFC3's system is better than any other games in my opinion. It isnt turn based, there is the momentum system and there is more of a flow. The sub system is average and the GNP is really weak. Also there should be more positions.

The only thing I liked about EA MMA's grappling was the choke submission system. I felt like that was the best sub system I've played.
The sub system in UD3 only sucked on default stamina, since stamina never got low enough to lock in quick subs, on sim it was perfect.

EA MMA's choke subs were indeed the best, I loved how that invisible sweet spot worked. The limb submissions on the other hand were awful, spending 5 minutes on an armbar mashing square in bursts, I hope that never comes back again...

Although UD3s grappling was turn based in a sense, the way you could only block 3-5 times (depending on stats) forced action, prevented the guard lay and pray that is everywhere in UFC3 and generally made the game flow better.

Although EA MMA's choke subs were great, the actual grappling was a complete dumpster fire, there were no standups and people would spend upwards of half the round in half guard, throwing baby body punches so you could get a guaranteed pass at 50% stamina advantage. As soon as anyone got to top mount the fight was over, since the bottom guy had no way to drain the stamina of the top guy except for parries. All the top guy had to do was simply wait for stamina to regenerate and they could keep mount forever, so much fun in 1-round 20-minute Vale Tudo matches /s
Old 05-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #24
Rookie

If they mimicked UD3's grappling and clinch exactly, added simultaneous transitioning, momentum and made the reversals from UD3 more difficult, we would have the greatest grappling and MMA game ever.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »