Home

How is outside fighting considered OP?

This is a discussion on How is outside fighting considered OP? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: How is outside fighting considered OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
It will always be a game and there will always be limitations on what can be fully replicated. We have outside fighting, this is how it looks in this game. I can't even imagine the effort it would take to balance jabs if they could stop you dead in your tracks and allow the other guy to block you from coming into punching range.
I get that

It’s just frustrating because it existed in UFC 2.

My thing in sport games is to mimic all my favorite athletes and it’s impossible to play anything like Frankie or Stephen Thompson in UFC 3.

I just wish all styles were viable. But it is what it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #26
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCBlackbelt
There's no exact definition, but it has more to do with fighting using rangey tools. In-and-out movement. Doesn't have to be boxing or kicking. Good example of outside fighters are Condit, Thompson and Luke Rockhold. Mcgregor and Till sometimes fall into that category, McGregor isn't only an outside fighter but he prefers to use his long reach and counterstrike. While inside fighting has to do with short bursts of close quarter techniques like boxing, elbows and knees.
See, that's why I was looking for a definition. Outside fighting to me is to do with cage position and how you prefer to move around. Outfighters to me are matadors, wanting to get there opponents following them and running into things, whether punches, kicks, takedowns, whatever. Like, outfighting is the opposite of pressure fighting, and range striking is the opposite of infighting. They generally pair together, but not exclusively, like Aldo was a boxing range outfighter against Edgar and McGregor was a long range pressure fighter against Alvarez.

So, how I would define the issue in UFC 3 is an inability to maintain a long range, regardless of if you're trying to slowly pressure from a long range or outfight from a long range, but you're totally capable of outfighting from a closer distance or pressure fighting from a closer distance.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCBlackbelt
UFC 2 had better distance management.

This is proper pressure, it's intelligent.

What we have now is a lateral fencing game with head movement.

There's no exact definition, but it has more to do with fighting using rangey tools. In-and-out movement. Doesn't have to be boxing or kicking. Good example of outside fighters are Condit, Thompson and Luke Rockhold. Mcgregor and Till sometimes fall into that category, McGregor isn't only an outside fighter but he prefers to use his long reach and counterstrike. While inside fighting has to do with short bursts of close quarter techniques like boxing, elbows and knees.
Thats a wonderful example of what we want, its not tied to circling your oppenent its tied to the cage. How about we add a button that you hold when you want to move around the cage rather than it being tied to your oppenent.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget7211
See, that's why I was looking for a definition. Outside fighting to me is to do with cage position and how you prefer to move around. Outfighters to me are matadors, wanting to get there opponents following them and running into things, whether punches, kicks, takedowns, whatever. Like, outfighting is the opposite of pressure fighting, and range striking is the opposite of infighting. They generally pair together, but not exclusively, like Aldo was a boxing range outfighter against Edgar and McGregor was a long range pressure fighter against Alvarez.

So, how I would define the issue in UFC 3 is an inability to maintain a long range, regardless of if you're trying to slowly pressure from a long range or outfight from a long range, but you're totally capable of outfighting from a closer distance or pressure fighting from a closer distance.
Outside fighting requires range, there is no closer range.

And yes, we dont have to the tools neccarary to keep range and the ones we do have dont work.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #29
Banned

I don't know how anybody can even consider it up for debate

the only people I know that think outside fighting is strong in the game's balance are people who don't know what it is

doing unrealistic backwards lunges and then throwing straights in boxing range isn't outside fighting. Getting a very small amount of distance so that you can counterpunch isn't really outside fighting either in this game.

It's basically impossible to legitimately generate distance against good players. Moreover, non-counter kicks do absolutely ****ing nothing, and side kicks and front kicks are slow as hell and cost way more stamina than they should.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCB x Finlay
Sorry all am seeing is you winning in punching range, your jab was great i will give you that but other than that and your backwards lunge I would mainly say this is an inside fight. Thanks however though.

Heres my attempt.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/fcb-x-finlay-x/video/45486441

Again i have to say that is not outside fighting, thats counterfighting in range. I think the jabs great tbh, but the rest of the tools are not there, for example teep and side kicks are so slow and dont land when there is any sideways movement, the new backwards movement is close to what is needed, just needs to be sped up allow us to move diagonally and remove the long term stamina.
Man, no wonder you think outfighting isn't viable. You aren't using the tools you've been given to do it. There were tons of opportunities to throw kicks and teeps. What you did was not only ugly, but very ineffective. You drained half your stamina in the first round. I think you fight like that not only because you don't have a full grasp on the mechanics and when to do them, but also because you have this false idea in your head about what outside fighting looks like.

You're constantly playing the semantics game too. The fact of the matter is, you CAN keep someone off of you and out of range to effectively hit you. I thought the complaint was "getting people off you when they forward pressure is impossible" not "outfighting doesn't look how I want it to look".

Standard outside fighting is simply keeping someone at the end of punching range and (in MMA) being able to switch ranges quickly and kick without being stifled. I did that effectively in my fight. There were periods of time where he got chest-to-chest, but that happens. That doesn't automatically make the fight an inside fight.

YOU HAVE TO BE IN PUNCHING RANGE TO PUNCH. lol What do you want from the devs? To allow only you to hit them with punches from kicking range? There was always full extension on my jabs, meaning he was at the end of the punching range. If it was infighting, the jabs would have been the stifled animation jabs.

Also, you can be BOTH and outfighter AND a counter striker.

Last edited by RetractedMonkey; 05-02-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCB x Finlay
Outside fighting requires range, there is no closer range.

And yes, we dont have to the tools neccarary to keep range and the ones we do have dont work.
Okay, in a hypothetical perfect outfighting performance to you, would you have maintained kicking range the entire fight?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget7211
Okay, in a hypothetical perfect outfighting performance to you, would you have maintained kicking range the entire fight?
No I'd engage when needed to, other than that yes, Im not good in the pocket. I'd look for opportunities to engage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »