Home

turn based or ea ufc grappling poll

This is a discussion on turn based or ea ufc grappling poll within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: ud3 or ea ufc grappling
ea ufc 37 46.84%
ud3 42 53.16%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #41
Banned

Zeta Reticulan1's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: turn based or ea ufc grappling poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelhimself
I don’t like the label “turn based” for UD3’s grappling system. I don’t think “turn based” is what made UD3’s grappling great, and I don’t think the poll should make us decide between “turn based” and “ea”.

What made UD3’s grappling great, was the control. Controlling your opponent was immersive as opposed to the current games.

Controlling your opponent on UD3 was about “holding”, whereas on EA, it’s about “denials”.

On UD3, the mechanic of “holding” your opponent in a position gave a much more satisfying and convincing sense of controlling your opponent. There was a visual animation of your fighter physically clamping down on your opponent, which lasted until you released the controller input. During this time, it was it was very visually convincing that you were indeed holding your opponent in place.

On EA, there is no visual “proof”, if you will, that you’re controlling your opponent. There’s no clamping down or anything... it doesn’t look like there’s any reason your opponent can’t escape. That’s because in the EA games, control is only existent in the form of denials. When your opponent moves, you quickly input a denial... and an animation depicts your fighter physically stopping their opponent’s transition. This is not how control on an MMA game should be; it’s visually unrealistic, it feels weird gameplay-wise, and it ruins the immersion.
Yeah, I would love to have those holding animations back from UD3. That's something that needs to be added going forward.

Holding the stick zto deny has a few benefits:

-not effected by online lag

-easier for someone new to grasp

-more intuitive

Gameplay on the ground could still be fun if countering this change with making transitions take less short term stamina.

I would also be happy if these were the only changes they made, in addition to adding many more positions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #42
Rookie

EA UFC's main problem is that its grappling exchanges are the polar opposites of real grappling exchanges : instead of having fast paced exchanges with dangerous ground and pound and crazy scrambles, it mainly consists of two guys waiting for the other to move first in order to further block them and then transition. These flaws are inherent to its system due to several of its core concepts :

- stamina-based grappling and denials too powerful

- transitions that are far too slow (and easy to deny)

- No physics-based logic : denials are not animated so you can't see when your opponent misses one (and cannot capitalize on it), you can still block a clinch entry or a transition even if you're striking or have your hands blocking your face (and even when the opponents got his arms fully around you !)... Make it physical and adopt EA MMA stand : Pass to strike, strike to pass ! Create openings while punching your opponent and pass when he cannot deny (while blocking), make it impossible to deny a nearly-completed move, add auto-takedowns in some rare instances where the attacker momentum makes it impossible for him to stop a TD.

- impossibility to hold an opponent to prevent him to transition ; UD3's hold system was much better and more realistic, while simpler to grasp for beginners. GPD should have built on top of it.

- ground and pound too weak ; the block takes far too long to break and postured down or sub positions inflict absolutely no damage, so why try to move if you're safe everywhere ? Just wait for the other to make a mistake ! UD3 had dangerous shots everywhere, even postured down, that prompted people to quickly move because they weren't safe anywhere. Also, rocks on the ground helped to add a little urgency.

- Binary ground and pound : everybody has the same moves (UD3 had loads of different moves on the ground depending on the fighters, helps to add variety), and you can either block, eat the shot or transition. Add ground sways ! Add feints !

- Like many other things, the block system is too binary : either you block or you eat a shot. I thought the best solution would be like in real life, where some shots slip through the block depending on the block stat of the defender, the accuracy (or GNP) stat of the attacker and the state of the block meter. Could be cool to have for standup too.

- Absolutely horrendous sub system with fighters barely moving until they pass a gate, then not moving again until the next one. Where is the fight, the thrill of holding on to your life ? Like everyone here, one thing to say : BRING BACK EA MMA's choke sub system (for every submission). Then figure out how to add sub switches like in UD3 and different positioning depending on the break. I guarantee you you'll see sub stats fly through the roof with that (mainly because it's actually fun to do).

- Illogical stuff : why can't you defend yourself while postured up ? Why can't you hit the guy head in sprawl ? Why no defense in side control ? why no body shots in turtle top ?

With that being said, EA UFC's ground game has some cool ideas too, mainly simultaneous transitions and grappling momentum. But apart from these two things, there is little fun in that area, and I hope we'll see some of the changes that I (and several people, Martial Mind first) listed here and countless times on Youtube, while keeping the good parts of the new system.

Also, sorry for the long post

Last edited by IamDoubiBear; 05-15-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #43
Banned

Zeta Reticulan1's Arena

Everyone is so caught up over the simultaneous transitions and I really don't get it. It's built on the core concept of transitions taking much too long to complete. I like the fast, instant transitions of UD3 personally. I really don't see any way to hold the right stick to deny without it necessitating a UD3 system after thinking it through. Because holding to deny 3 or 4 transition attempts would lead to short term stamina needing to drain so much less for each transition attempt that stamina practically wouldn't need to be a factor in filling a meter, and hence a meter essentially disappears from being necessary in the equation.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #44
Banned

that settles it. ud3 has won. id like to think people voted twice for ufc 3. ud3 is the mma fnc. i think it was a prideful move to completely abandon the things that set the benchmark for mma games. why have we not even gotten a reason why it cant be in? grappling looks robotic in ufc 3. it does not represent true grappling. ud3 was a perfect grappling sim. its like h1nz. it set the standard for battle Royale games. the striking is beautiful but to make it better have different variations for the same punch. the movement looks slightly stiff but leaps ahead in many ways

Last edited by 1212headkick; 05-16-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #45
Banned

Zeta Reticulan1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
that settles it. ud3 has won. id like to think people voted twice for ufc 3. ud3 is the mma fnc. i think it was a prideful move to completely abandon the things that set the benchmark for mma games. why have we not even gotten a reason why it cant be in? grappling looks robotic in ufc 3. it does not represent true grappling. ud3 was a perfect grappling sim. its like h1nz. it set the standard for battle Royale games. the striking is beautiful but to make it better have different variations for the same punch. the movement looks slightly stiff but leaps ahead in many ways
I was guessing that people voted twice for UFC 3 too, but just a guess. I understand that Zuffa has/had the code for UD3, one would think this could have been transferred to EA though. They have really done well with the striking though this year. Would still like to see FNC style, 360 degree head movement though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #46
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta Reticulan1
I was guessing that people voted twice for UFC 3 too, but just a guess. I understand that Zuffa has/had the code for UD3, one would think this could have been transferred to EA though. They have really done well with the striking though this year. Would still like to see FNC style, 360 degree head movement though.
Hold up. Why is the assumption that people who voted twice for UFC3 and not both? Also do you think someone would create a new account (risking a ban once the system recognized they had 2 accounts) simply so their choice can win an OS poll.

Here is reality: We arent going to see a UD3 system in UFC3. We arent. GPD and the team are going to improve the current system and there may be some elements that were in UD3 that are used in the current system.

As for a potential UFC 4, I think it will be more of the same. As you can see from the poll, pretty much half like the current system and I believe that if there was an option "Keep UFC 3's system but add UD3 elements" that wouldve likely won.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #47
Banned

Zeta Reticulan1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Hold up. Why is the assumption that people who voted twice for UFC3 and not both? Also do you think someone would create a new account (risking a ban once the system recognized they had 2 accounts) simply so their choice can win an OS poll.

Here is reality: We arent going to see a UD3 system in UFC3. We arent. GPD and the team are going to improve the current system and there may be some elements that were in UD3 that are used in the current system.

As for a potential UFC 4, I think it will be more of the same. As you can see from the poll, pretty much half like the current system and I believe that if there was an option "Keep UFC 3's system but add UD3 elements" that wouldve likely won.
In the past, other polls for this showed UD3 winning by a slight margin so I just assumed there was some sort of trickery. Makes sense that this wouldn't happen though due to the severe consequences, didn't really consider that.

That's great that they will build on what they have. That's probably the best way forward anyway. Hopefully this at least shows that there are elements from UD3 that should definitely be borrowed
Old 05-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #48
Banned

It was a tie people. So funny people can’t except ud3 is not as wanted by the community as they thought.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »