Home

What happened to stopping power?

This is a discussion on What happened to stopping power? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: What happened to stopping power?

@counterpunch

The thing with the overhand is you are supposed to chain it with a hook or uppercut. As a two piece combo it butchers dudes.

I'd honestly prefer it to not even combo and just be a one mad swing for the hills type punch and have that devastating power but as it stands, it can combo really well so I'm not sure how much power it should even have on its own.

Wouldnt actually mind more haymaker punches in the game, that dont combo but have KO power behind them. Just huge vulnerability, high recovery and stamina loss.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #18
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Lack of stopping power was one of the top complaints with UFC 2.

I think the stopping power logic in UFC 3 is about as good as it gets. Lots of effort put in there to make sure scenarios play out realistically but in a balanced way while still allowing for exchanges.

I'm really happy with it in its current state.
Stopping power logic in UFC 3 is wack. Combos go through anything.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #19
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
@counterpunch

The thing with the overhand is you are supposed to chain it with a hook or uppercut. As a two piece combo it butchers dudes.

I'd honestly prefer it to not even combo and just be a one mad swing for the hills type punch and have that devastating power but as it stands, it can combo really well so I'm not sure how much power it should even have on its own.

Wouldnt actually mind more haymaker punches in the game, that dont combo but have KO power behind them. Just huge vulnerability, high recovery and stamina loss.
That’s super unrealistic and unintuitive and unbalanced. I also already understand how the mechanics work.

I agree wth you that we need power punches with KO power. The way I fight is legitimate and requires skill and its unfair that now the game is trying to force us into trading combos.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2a59in.gif (2.68 MB, 44 views)
File Type: gif 2a5aiv.gif (2.36 MB, 45 views)
File Type: gif 2a5c1g.gif (1.93 MB, 42 views)

Last edited by Counter Punch; 05-12-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:50 AM   #20
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Monkman
Was it totally removed from the game from UFC 2 to UFC 3?

Because i keep landing flush strong strikes and guys just keep punching through them with their power and speed enhanced combos.

Its so lame.
It's there depending on your timing and positioning when you throw the strikes. It takes time and practice. I've been able to stop strong strikes with just a jab or straight when timed accordingly, especially with planted strikes. Takes making reads on what your opponent is doing and precision with your timing to get it to work. One way I like to stop hook spam for example is with a back dash and then lead hook. Stops them in their tracks for added damage.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #21
Rookie

YourFatZebra's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Lack of stopping power was one of the top complaints with UFC 2.

I think the stopping power logic in UFC 3 is about as good as it gets. Lots of effort put in there to make sure scenarios play out realistically but in a balanced way while still allowing for exchanges.

I'm really happy with it in its current state.
I'm fine with it in most circumstances, but the removal of the stopping power from 1 sway counters is an unrealistic problem. I don't know how else to put it. I understand the reason it was done, but I feel like with the changes that were made to combos and head movement it was an unnecessary addition. I think having the major/minor sways and the changes to the combo system went far enough to curb the sway issue and that the stopping power negation has only served to frustrate people and embolden spam fighters to let loose on the stationary combos. Since you can't stop them from dodging one, they know this and try to abuse that. It's unrealistic and immersion breaking to nail someone with a shot that may do damage, but has no physical effect whatsoever. Just because you only swayed once or you happened to sway a split second before they threw a punch. I brought up before that in a recent UFC PPV fight there was a corner who prominently said on-camera that his fighter should "move his head before he strikes". Just kinda weird to me that the hammer was brought down so hard on something that people DO actually do. The way it worked in the game was weird, but I don't think negating the stopping power on 1 sway strikes was the right move.

I get why it was changed, but I agree with what I saw another person say in this thread: If you guys won't even accept this as an issue, given the amount of people complaining about it, it's disconcerting on our side.

Last edited by YourFatZebra; 05-13-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #22
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFatZebra
I'm fine with it in most circumstances, but the removal of the stopping power from 1 sway counters is an unrealistic problem. I don't know how else to put it. I understand the reason it was done, but I feel like with the changes that were made to combos and head movement it was an unnecessary addition. I think having the major/minor sways and the changes to the combo system went far enough to curb the sway issue and that the stopping power negation has only served to frustrate people and embolden spam fighters to let loose on the stationary combos. Since you can't stop them from dodging one, they know this and try to abuse that. It's unrealistic and immersion breaking to nail someone with a shot that may do damage, but has no physical effect whatsoever. Just because you only swayed once or you happened to sway a split second before they threw a punch. I brought up before that in a recent UFC PPV fight there was a corner who prominently said on-camera that his fighter should "move his head before he strikes". Just kinda weird to me that the hammer was brought down so hard on something that people DO actually do. The way it worked in the game was weird, but I don't think negating the stopping power on 1 sway strikes was the right move.

I get why it was changed, but I agree with what I saw another person say in this thread: If you guys won't even accept this as an issue, given the amount of people complaining about it, it's disconcerting on our side.
My entire fighting style was based off of one sway counters. Why should I be forced to sway an entire combo in order to do significant damage with a counter? I can single sway into a hook and get KTFO, so how is that even balanced, much less realistic.

No one ever explained WHY moving your head before striking was arbitrarily penalized, or why counters were nerfed so heavily, or blocking while lunging was removed.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Don’t even bother to say head-movement spam because that was much easier to deal with than people walking you down and mixing up hooks uppercuts and 1-2s in the phonebooth. We need better defensive tools and instead they massively nerf counter striking.

Last edited by Counter Punch; 05-13-2018 at 02:45 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »