Home

Parries: Should They Return?

This is a discussion on Parries: Should They Return? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you want Parries back?
Yes, the mechanic/animation and the counter window 1 1.59%
Yes but only the counter window 0 0%
Yes but only the mechanic/amimation 13 20.63%
Yes but only if you can parry straight strikes. 8 12.70%
NO 41 65.08%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Parries: Should They Return?

Regarding combos...I don't really like them but they have their place.

1. UFC 2 had combos. Their were certain moves that chained together
2. Combos are a real thing. When you are fighting you have practice a certain set of combos that come out almost without thinking
3. Combos make skill sets vary. Everyone doesn't do every combo. Well that is true irl. There are certain combos that every fight has 1-2, but there are others that certain fighters don't train. Superman jab, leg kick

The problem with combos is that the defense isn't there to break it...LIKE A PARRY. imagine you someone throw 2-3-2 combo but you parry that last strike and counter....it might make them hesitate in throwing a long combo.

I do think hooks and uppercuts should be parried, but the timing has to be sharper especially when in close.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #58
Pro

I voted no mainly because I have heavy PTSD from UFC2 and I wasn't satisfied with the other options, but I actually wouldn't mind if parries could be implemented as a mainly defensive tool, not counter oriented, kind of like a perfect block that doesn't break down the block meter, or a parry that makes it easier to create distance or circle out.

A few rules though:
  • Parries should NOT freeze the opponent, or have any effect on movement at all
  • Not every attack should be parryable, just jabs and straights
  • The timing should be very strict
  • They shouldn't be spammable, Jazz Hands from EA MMA gave me even deeper-layered PTSD
Old 05-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #59
Banned

Rolltide1980's Arena

I just don't see a situation where they are functional and dont throw off the whole standup. If there's even a one in a 10 million chance that the parries resemble anything like what we saw in EA MMA,UFC 1 or UFC 2,then I'm firmly sticking to my no. I strongly feel it would be a horrible idea to even risk putting them in. Sure,parries happen now and then in MMA but they aren't near as prevalent as in boxing, and not used near as often as slips. If they actually do add them.......my mind would be completely blown if they could be effective and still leave the stand up balanced. I fear for the life of me every match would turn into a parry fest just like in the past. Even if they could somehow implement them in some sort of useful fashion,is it really THAT high up there on the list, more important than patching the ground game,the grappling, the stamina system,stopping power,sliders,ranked improvements etc? Is it seriously that important to you that they add parries rather than work on any of the above,and I'm sure I left plenty off the list,those were just the first things that came to mind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #60
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme_Bananas
I voted no mainly because I have heavy PTSD from UFC2 and I wasn't satisfied with the other options, but I actually wouldn't mind if parries could be implemented as a mainly defensive tool, not counter oriented, kind of like a perfect block that doesn't break down the block meter, or a parry that makes it easier to create distance or circle out.

A few rules though:
  • Parries should NOT freeze the opponent, or have any effect on movement at all
  • Not every attack should be parryable, just jabs and straights
  • The timing should be very strict
  • They shouldn't be spammable, Jazz Hands from EA MMA gave me even deeper-layered PTSD
If any movement boost, it has to be for the defensive fighter, just a slight buff so they can circle away, not neccasary though and your basically soming us all up.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #61
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide1980
I just don't see a situation where they are functional and dont throw off the whole standup. If there's even a one in a 10 million chance that the parries resemble anything like what we saw in EA MMA,UFC 1 or UFC 2,then I'm firmly sticking to my no. I strongly feel it would be a horrible idea to even risk putting them in. Sure,parries happen now and then in MMA but they aren't near as prevalent as in boxing, and not used near as often as slips. If they actually do add them.......my mind would be completely blown if they could be effective and still leave the stand up balanced. I fear for the life of me every match would turn into a parry fest just like in the past. Even if they could somehow implement them in some sort of useful fashion,is it really THAT high up there on the list, more important than patching the ground game,the grappling, the stamina system,stopping power,sliders,ranked improvements etc? Is it seriously that important to you that they add parries rather than work on any of the above,and I'm sure I left plenty off the list,those were just the first things that came to mind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
I just posted how I would like the parries to be if they were implemented, but I am afraid what you're saying is exactly what would happen. I wanted parries out because I think it's simply not possible to implement them correctly, like you say
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #62
Banned

parries should stop a combo. Plus parries should have a small counter window because they do irl. I didn't say freeze but when you hand is pushed across it does open you up.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:25 PM   #63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSPunk
parries should stop a combo. Plus parries should have a small counter window because they do irl. I didn't say freeze but when you hand is pushed across it does open you up.
Sorry but this is blatantly false

Parries dont have a “counter window” in real life. It’s just deflecting/redirecting a strike. You can easily bring your hand back to your guard after it’s parried.

And parries are most effective against single strikes not combos. If i throw a 1-2 and you just parry the 1 you’ll get blasted by the 2

Edit: Parry recoveries should be the equivalent of a whiffed strike because that’s what it is. No freezing

Last edited by Phillyboi207; 05-14-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:53 AM   #64
MVP

No parry NO!!!. It is not a solution.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »