Home

The problem isn’t inside fighting or outside fighting. It’s both

This is a discussion on The problem isn’t inside fighting or outside fighting. It’s both within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #41
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The problem isn’t inside fighting or outside fighting. It’s both

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
That's not the point. He's a level above GCs.
Two levels above.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #42
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
The thing is it’s physically impossible in a lot of cases.

Do me a favor and try to throw a 1-2-3-4 moving forward while getting full extension on each strike.

You cant because once you lift your rear foot to throw the 2 you cant explode off of it again without resetting.

Your only option would be to switch stances off of the 2 and then you can flow smoothly into a 3-4 from an opposite stance while moving forward.

If you explode forward off of your rear leg any strike thrown afterward would be stationary unless you reset OR switch stances.

If you need me to I can provide gifs to help provide a visual.
And this wasn't a problem in UFC 2?

I understand the problem Martial Mind presented in his video. There are subtleties to real life footwork that the game doesn't capture. I agree.

But this sudden believe that there's "magnetic striking" and that is the source of all the problems in the game is getting a little carried away.

Does anyone remember the constant complaints that you couldn't hit someone in a health event in UFC 2? That you couldn't land a punch while they were throwing a kick? That back lunge was OP?
Old 05-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC

I understand the problem Martial Mind presented in his video. There are subtleties to real life footwork that the game doesn't capture. I agree.

But this sudden believe that there's "magnetic striking" and that is the source of all the problems in the game is getting a little carried away.

Does anyone remember the constant complaints that you couldn't hit someone in a health event in UFC 2? That you couldn't land a punch while they were throwing a kick? That back lunge was OP?
Well the first one is a really minor issue, hitting someone when your in a health event is extremely risky and your accuracy will drop dramatically.
The back head sway was op as you couldnt walk forward in between strikes like you can now. Everyone knows ufc 2 had issues, but distance management wasnt one of them, it was actaully a postive in that game.

And its one of the issues it depends on people's view point, from what ive seen its probably the main culprit however.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #44
Banned

This is what forward moving combos look like in real life

If you dont switch stances and center yourself you lose a lot of power on your strikes.

If’s what happened fo Wedum vs Stipe

Here you see as soon as the 2 is thrown she switches stances in case she has to throw another strike. The only thing you can chain repeatedly without resetting would be jabs since they can be effective withour your weight behind them.

Here you see Joanna’s weight transfers after throwing the 2(watch her get on her toes that’s her shifting weight to throw the strike). In order for her to continue the combo she had to switch stances into the head kick because she was off balance.

Try to think of fighters that routinely put together 3-4+ moving combos. They all have great footwork and striking because stance switching mid combo is not easy. But the game allows any/everyone to throw forward moving combos.

Last edited by Phillyboi207; 05-20-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #45
MVP

Give the accuracy stat it's true real life implications.

The magnetic striking issue arose directly in response to this bigger issue imo. It's been stated.

If the accuracy stat is allowed to do what it is meant to then things such as strike tracking and hit detection would be impacted more by the accuracy stat.

It seems this magnetic striking is an adjustment for accuracy based situations. When a little out of range the magnetic striking will prevent you from landing, whereas if you are in range your strike will hone in and track your opponent till it lands.

If we removed this adjustment and made it more realistic then we would have the accuracy stat actually matter as much as it does irl.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #46
Banned

Quote:

I think the difference is the forward moving combos.

The video i showed had a guy slide from the center of the octagon to damn near the cage.

That never happened in UFC 2. The lunges(lack of ability to cancel into everything like on 2)/magnetic striking on forward moving combos make it damn near impossible to create or maintain distance.

Back lunge was OP in 2 because everyone could use it to the same degree. Stephen Thompson should be able to get out of striking range at will. You should be forced to cut the cage off against anyone with high footwork.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #47
Banned

Quote:

people never complained about movement we complained about parries(which for realism sake with tuning should be in. been in all ea fighting games.) the game needs better lunging you nailed it in ufc 2. they needed better animations not removal. why do most characters not have signiture movement. connor jones gus and more fighters should have basic circle out(shuffling feet) and a running circle out animation(jones vs gus rd 5 connor vs nate rd 3 and 4) i dont believe magnetic striking is a problem. its lack of foot work. thats all it is. instantly noticeable when you play ufc 2. this is a major shortsighting. it feels like you have a lambo with ford taurus drive axel. this game ismissing only a couple things to be the greatest mma game ever made.the problem with it is it was released when it was nowhere near ready to be released. its broken beyond a patch cycle. thats okay. th ground can be fixed in ufc 4 but grapplers are as distance dependent as outside fighter. good grapplers keep their distance and wait for their victim to come to them. you need to take it as serious as head movement. a grappling patch should include massive amounts of footwork buffs. red zone green zone
Old 05-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #48
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
If you back lunge before the strike is thrown, the striker will close as much distance as is is capable of doing because he knows you are back lunging.

The back lunge will evade the strike, but the striker will extended maximum effort to close the distance will the full knowledge that the other player has already made an effort to lunge backwards and create space.

If the strike is thrown first, and the back lunge comes after, the striker will close as much distance as he would have had to close to make contact before the lunge was executed.

There may be some tuning to tighten up some cases, but I don't think that logic is flawed at all.
It’s sound logic, for sure when it plays out correctly. Tuning would be welcome. Thanks for the explanation!

I think as it stands the offensive player in this situation gets too much leeway as far as timing goes. If It was tightened up a bit it would be less frustrating and it wouldn’t look like players are skating to close distance.

Last edited by Counter Punch; 05-20-2018 at 08:41 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »