Home

Creating more tactic options besides just retreating with the arm post/long guard.

This is a discussion on Creating more tactic options besides just retreating with the arm post/long guard. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2018, 01:49 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Creating more tactic options besides just retreating with the arm post/long guard.

We have what I usually call the "Arm Post" retreat animation aka the "Long guard" animation on the retreat which was added in the latest patch to create space. I love using this especially with taller fighters (recommended) against players who blitz with foward attacks while trying to counter off it with straights, knees and front kicks to the body or head as they are coming in but I do feel countering off the long guard could be more responsive and it feels slightly off imo. So I was sitting around thinking about another way the devs could tweak or evolve on the long guard besides allowing us to just retreat with it.

I.) Muay Thai style fighters utilize the long guard to create space/distance and counter. So i'm thinking that if it was made stationary, the controls for a stationary long guard could of course still be R1 + R2 as it is currently (R1 +R2 + back on LS when retreating) to pull it off and if you want to jump into clinch quickly just simply flick up on the right stick while holding R1 + R2 to do so, just as you would with a normal C.A.
NOTE: If the stationary arm post/long Guard is ONLY just being held it can eventually deteriorate from strikes the same way as normal block. So you must follow up.
https://media.giphy.com/media/2kP4bV...zMEv/giphy.gif

II.)The arm post/LG can be used to reset distance after single strikes or combinations.
EX. I.) 1, 2, arm post/LG as a quick reset, 2, 3, reset with LG.
EX. II.) 1, 3, arm post/LG as a quick reset, 2, leg kick/body kick or knee.
EX. III.) Arm post/LG, rear body kick then reset or body kick, then reset etc.
https://media.giphy.com/media/1zi11i...1H9s/giphy.gif

III.)Finally, just how pushing was beautifully done in FNC to create space and attack sometimes using L2 or LT, in some situations the arm post/LG could be used the same to push opponents slightly off balance by maybe HOLDING R1 + R2 +flicking LS toward the opponent to do so.
https://media.giphy.com/media/L0tP5a...J4lk/giphy.gif
It was just a thought of course but i'll stop here and be glad to hear your guys thoughts on all of this

Last edited by GamingPractitioner; 06-05-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2018, 03:12 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Creating more tactic options besides just retreating with the arm post/long guard

Agreed.

There are so many names for this lead arm extension technique- paw, post, probe, collar tie, stiff arm, etc. The devs should settle on one name we all can go with going forward.

I feel the retreating evasion should be split into backwards sprint (while adding lateral sprint too) and paw/post (which is tied to grappling).

So yeah, I definitely agree with your three points.

We should be able to jab and grab.

Last edited by johnmangala; 05-25-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Rookie

Jv160's Arena

Re: Creating more tactic options besides just retreating with the arm post/long guard

I agree but it should be R1 + Right Stick, there's no need for R2 or for it to be a stationary move.

Last edited by Jv160; 05-25-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
Rookie

Jv160's Arena

I honestly think your concept is the way to go after reading it again.

Last edited by Jv160; 05-25-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingPractitioner
We have what I usually call the "Arm Post" retreat animation aka the "Long guard" animation on the retreat which was added in the latest patch to create space. I love using this especially with taller fighters (recommended) against players who blitz with foward attacks while trying to counter off it with straights, knees and front kicks to the body or head as they are coming in but I do feel countering off the long guard could be more responsive and it feels slightly off imo. So I was sitting around thinking about another way the devs could tweak or evolve on the long guard besides allowing us to just retreat with it.

I.) Muay Thai style fighters utilize the long guard to create space/distance and counter. So i'm thinking that if it was made stationary, the controls for a stationary long guard could of course still be R1 + R2 as it is currently (R1 +R2 + back on LS when retreating) to pull it off and if you want to jump into clinch quickly just simply flick up on the right stick while holding R1 + R2 to do so, just as you would with a normal C.A.
NOTE: If the stationary arm post/long Guard is ONLY just being held it can eventually deteriorate from strikes the same way as normal block. So you must follow up.
https://media.giphy.com/media/2kP4bV...zMEv/giphy.gif

II.)The arm post/LG can be used to reset distance after single strikes or combinations.
EX. I.) 1, 2, arm post/LG as a quick reset, 2, 3, reset with LG.
EX. II.) 1, 3, arm post/LG as a quick reset, 2, leg kick/body kick or knee.
EX. III.) Arm post/LG, rear body kick then reset or body kick, then reset etc.
https://media.giphy.com/media/1zi11i...1H9s/giphy.gif

III.)Finally, just how pushing was beautifully done in FNC to create space and attack sometimes using L2 or LT, in some situations the arm post/LG could be used the same to push opponents slightly off balance by maybe HOLDING R1 + R2 +flicking LS toward the opponent to do so.
https://media.giphy.com/media/L0tP5a...J4lk/giphy.gif
It was just a thought of course but i'll stop here and be glad to hear your guys thoughts on all of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCPO...vp2d5dw03c010c Video version and in the video two more ideas. Push animation and another being the one johnmangala stated in his comment about moving in other angles with this arm post/long guard laterally to create space/distance.

Last edited by GamingPractitioner; 05-26-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2018, 01:46 AM   #6
MVP

I hope the OP is considered as a possiblity for the grappling patch.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala

I hope the OP is considered as a possiblity for the grappling patch.
Yeah that was another I had considered in my head. Now there is no way possible to hit the OP who uses this, only hits the glove.
Good reminder.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #8
Banned

we need a circle out animation that actually works

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »