Home

Clinch entires further nerfed?

This is a discussion on Clinch entires further nerfed? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Clinch entires further nerfed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezie
Was everyone really that sour on the spinning joystick takedowns in UD? I felt like that was the perfect and most arbitrary way to implement takedowns in competitive gameplay. You had to work to get that TD but most important so did the person denying the TD. Which means that it could possibly be physically tiring, at least to your fingers and hands, throughout the match. That is exactly how wrestlers utilize the takedown irl. Also note that by UD3 the TDs were not OP as players were given tools via a knee that was specifically designed in the game to catch players who were too obvious. This led to TD feints becoming a huge part of strategy which actually contributed to major opportunities in striking. But hey, I understand why EA really wants to appeal to the "Let me bang bro!" crowd. That's the lowest common denominator that sells the game. But that should be a mode in a MMA game, like the mode I already thought was currently available within this game, but not the actual MMA game itself.
I absolutely hated that aspect of UD3's takedowns. It absolutely does not represent the reality of high level wrestling. There are many ignorant amateur wrestling coaches that tell you that you need to just try harder (represented by the twirling control stick). The reality is that you have to try hard and be mentally tough in everything you do in MMA from takedowns to striking. Ultimately it's a matter of correct application of technique and timing. The best wrestlers are both loose and explosive and often they will abandon a takedown attempt if they feel they are going to get buried under a sprawl and instead transition to other continuations or adjust the direction they are driving. If you are having to "struggle" (as seen in UD3) it's because you are making poor technical choices.

In regards to the main topic, I think differentiating the input for defending clinch attempts and takedowns would help a lot.

In addition I would love to be able to feint takedown and clinch attempts. This is a very legitimate strategy in real MMA.

And there should be an animation associated with failed attempts at denying clinches and takedowns
Old 06-08-2018, 12:29 AM   #34
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt fists
The problem was that spinning the stick burned through controllers like crazy. I liked the mechanic but it was way too hard on my controllers.
I remember seeing people say that about the controllers but I never had an issue with that. Maybe it's because I would break my controller from throwing it before the joystiq had a chance to wear out. (shrug)
Old 07-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #35
Rookie

And we back pt2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #36
Rookie

i didn't like the twirling the joystick either. it didn't give you feedback very well, and i mostly found it annoying. It would be cool if you could adjust mid-takedown and try to a side if the single/double gets stuffed immediately.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »