Home

Jab uppercut lead hook

This is a discussion on Jab uppercut lead hook within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Jab uppercut lead hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyJudoka
Well, you know what? In real life, real fighters DO talk about and share favorite combinations.

I feel that it is perfectly reasonable and realistic for fighters to have access to a limited amount of combos during a professional fight.

When they are under the lights on stage with adrenaline flowing, stress high, and stakes high, fighters throw the combinations that they have drilled in practice thousands of times. Even though fighters are physically capable of throwing other combinations not on their "list", they still rely on and use the combos and techniques that they have specifically trained in practice.

I think that combinations should be more specifically tailored to each fighter, but overall I'm happy with the system.
You're right. Fighters drill combos and they rely on that practice to realize success in the heat of a fight.

However, if fighter X drills 1-3-5 all day everyday... he will not be effective at releasing that combo without regard for his cage position and physical attributes of his opponent (i.e. Fighter X will have an easier time landing a 1-3-5 on someone his height vs someone much taller than him. Therefore, a different combo would be more effective on a taller opponent... not always the 1-3-5)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #26
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Clarke1
You're right. Fighters drill combos and they rely on that practice to realize success in the heat of a fight.

However, if fighter X drills 1-3-5 all day everyday... he will not be effective at releasing that combo without regard for his cage position and physical attributes of his opponent (i.e. Fighter X will have an easier time landing a 1-3-5 on someone his height vs someone much taller than him. Therefore, a different combo would be more effective on a taller opponent... not always the 1-3-5)
Yes. That's exactly how it works now! If the taller guy is actually using good cage movement and positioning, the shorter fighter has to chase and reach to hit him.

If they are both in the pocket, the shorter guy is gonna win because he is shorter with smaller reach.

These are all based on proportions like body mechanics and attributes like speed and tactics like positioning.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
Yes. That's exactly how it works now! If the taller guy is actually using good cage movement and positioning, the shorter fighter has to chase and reach to hit him.

If they are both in the pocket, the shorter guy is gonna win because he is shorter with smaller reach.

These are all based on proportions like body mechanics and attributes like speed and tactics like positioning.
Currently, the shorter fighter will have to close the distance, however, once he is in striking range the 1-3-5 is just as effective as it would be on a cast member from Little People Big World.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Clarke1
Currently, the shorter fighter will have to close the distance, however, once he is in striking range the 1-3-5 is just as effective as it would be on a cast member from Little People Big World.
That's how it works in real life! I literally said that in my post.

Shorter fighters get INSIDE a longer fighter's reach so they can land stronger and faster blows with their shorter arms. It is a classic strategy. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and it's clear you aren't even reading half of what I say.

And if you worded it poorly and you meant the taller fighter is still just as fast as the shorter guy, you are flat out wrong again. Not only have devs confirmed they have implemented a speed decrease for taller guys, go ahead and pick Jones and try to slug it out on the inside. You will get slept. His reach is so long that he is borderline useless in this game if you are close to your opponent.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #29
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
That's how it works in real life! I literally said that in my post.

Shorter fighters get INSIDE a longer fighter's reach so they can land stronger and faster blows with their shorter arms. It is a classic strategy. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and it's clear you aren't even reading half of what I say.

And if you worded it poorly and you meant the taller fighter is still just as fast as the shorter guy, you are flat out wrong again. Not only have devs confirmed they have implemented a speed decrease for taller guys, go ahead and pick Jones and try to slug it out on the inside. You will get slept. His reach is so long that he is borderline useless in this game if you are close to your opponent.
I totally agree with the big picture, so not attempting to disagree broadly. And you seem to be entirely correct about how this idea was interpreted, or implemented, in the game.

There are also, no question, more variables going on when saying who would land shots first when inside the pocket. Unfortunately, I don't think much goes into gameplay right now.

But, for the sake idea sharing (and hopefully someone important reading), other considerations are things like the straightness of the punch, combined with the amount and type of torque in the technique (beginning with footwork, then leg/hip load, and finally the general length of windup). It's probably also worth noting, if all else were equal, the shorter armed fighter would also, potentially, be able to land at the end of his punches.

Just for real world evidence, recall Riddick Bowe (depending on age in here), and you might remember a big heavyweight with one of the best, and most underrated, inside games in heavyweight history. (For those not old enough to remember, go back and watch his fights with Evander Holyfield, which had a lot of great inside work from to completely different body sizes.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »