Home

Constructive Criticism of EA UFC 3's stand-up & issues

This is a discussion on Constructive Criticism of EA UFC 3's stand-up & issues within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2018, 04:52 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Constructive Criticism of EA UFC 3's stand-up & issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
Here's a post on this I did a while back.

FCB was asking for this... I understand why now- he liked the original post lol

__________________________________________________ __

It is a shame that the EA UFC games have soured most people on parries because of their free counter and freeze.

Parries can be implemented in a decent way. UD3 already proved this with their clinch parries which resulted in over/under or single collar all without the free counter and freeze.

EA UFC has shown it can do better with their live service. The opportunity to incorporate both types of parries is present- boxing & karate (deflection & catch) - as minor and major parries respectively.

Boxing parry- deflection

Karate parry- catch

They can start by splitting the retreating evasion into pawing (mobile and tied to grappling) and backwards sprint (adding lateral sprint too).

You can then have parries inputted through the grappling input (L2+RS). Flick for minor parry and hold for major parry.

Minor parry will deflect the strike and you can counter over it but it will be blockable. Major parry will be an improved grappling entry to whichever direction you transition to (single collar, over/under, single leg, double leg etc) which will function like a kick catch from where you can counter or transition- both deniable.

Holding the major parry input would result in:

Up: Lead arm extension (pawing/stiff arm/post etc), active block of rear hand; +L1: rear stiff arm, active block of lead hand.

Down: Lead pawing, active block or lead hand; +L1: rear pawing, active block of rear hand.

Left: Pull in; +L1: Heavy pull.

Right: Push; +L1: Heavy push.

Holding any of these inputs and getting within clinch range will initiate the clinch from that direction.

For example holding L2+R UP and getting within clinch range will get you into single collar unless denied. Holding L1+L2+R UP will result in double collar tie etc.

Doing this to someone holding block should peel through block (deniable).

With this we can reintroduce parries as they were meant to be. Since the upcoming patch is primarily grappling based, this is extremely relevant as parrying is a crucial underappreciated aspect of grappling as well.

Without the free counter and freeze the parries should work more realistically and with all that was learned from head movement. Parrying can return as another tool which has it's own pros and cons instead of how it and head movement was earlier- a lot of pros little con.
Keep minor parrys as rt + strike button, keep it simple but make the timing really narrow.

Everything in bold is what im asking you to explain, how does it affect the movement system, as in does it limit mobility for either fighter. How does the blocking work for the lead arm, does it match the current system or is it different. If it requires a big revamp of both systems as well as the clinch system is it feasable for a patch this game?

Id say its too much for this game, ufc 4, should have enough time but there will be more important things yo change. Keep parrys as simple as possible and only have it as a blocking option versus straight punches, that has a tight window, if you mistime a parry however and react to a fient you should loose ga as well as open a window for a fast strike to land.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #26
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCB x Finlay
Keep minor parrys as rt + strike button, keep it simple but make the timing really narrow.

Everything in bold is what im asking you to explain, how does it affect the movement system, as in does it limit mobility for either fighter. How does the blocking work for the lead arm, does it match the current system or is it different. If it requires a big revamp of both systems as well as the clinch system is it feasable for a patch this game?

Id say its too much for this game, ufc 4, should have enough time but there will be more important things yo change. Keep parrys as simple as possible and only have it as a blocking option versus straight punches, that has a tight window, if you mistime a parry however and react to a fient you should loose ga as well as open a window for a fast strike to land.
The active blocking is exactly as it sounds. It's like blocking a strike, but you are actively preventing them from throwing with the hand you are actively blocking with your hand traps...

You could deny these just like clinch attempts. To prevent abuse let the denial stamina tax be ridiculous like it was for the retreating evasion.

Most of that stuff wasn't intended to be patch fixes. Those ideas go back to EA UFC 1, just keeps getting refined.

I already told you the the main two patch fixes I am looking for is:

1. Make the pawing tied to grappling (better entry to single collar)

2. Clinch breaks for punches.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #27
MVP

Quote:
The active blocking is exactly as it sounds. It's like blocking a strike, but you are actively preventing them from throwing with the hand you are actively blocking with your hand traps...

You could deny these just like clinch attempts. To prevent abuse let the denial stamina tax be ridiculous like it was for the retreating evasion.

Most of that stuff wasn't intended to be patch fixes. Those ideas go back to EA UFC 1, just keeps getting refined.

I already told you the the main two patch fixes I am looking for is:

1. Make the pawing tied to grappling (better entry to single collar)

2. Clinch breaks for punches.
I agree with point 2 but id like to see a lot more than just that. 1 not really interested, not heard anything to support it being added or how it could be added affectively.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #28
MVP

I definitely would like to see more. But I am trying to be a little realistic on my hopes and expectations.

On 1: It's already explained in the post..

Split the retreating evasion into pawing and backwards sprint (adding lateral sprint eventually too).

Then assign pawing to the single collar entry. Holding it would extend the lead arm as is now to measure. Getting with in range would initiate the clinch unless denied.

That is the classic entry to single collar.

It would be a much better entry than the hand clamping we have now and would tie into a feature that is already present.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #29
Banned

Quote:
I definitely would like to see more. But I am trying to be a little realistic on my hopes and expectations.

Split the retreating evasion into pawing and backwards sprint (adding lateral sprint eventually too).

Then assign pawing to the single collar entry. Holding it would extend the lead arm as is now to measure. Getting with in range would initiate the clinch unless denied.

It would be a much better entry than the hand clamping we have now and would tie into a feature that is already present.
That’s actually a really good idea

Holding back is the retreat. Forward is pawing. Left/right for the lateral shuffle.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:

So would holding forward have increased movement speed? What happens if both fighters are using it holding forward ans holding opposite direcetions. How would blocking work, both strikes and grappling, how eould ga work?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCB x Finlay
So would holding forward have increased movement speed? What happens if both fighters are using it holding forward ans holding opposite direcetions. How would blocking work, both strikes and grappling, how eould ga work?
I don't really understand the context of your question.

Holding forward for what? using what holding forward?

I'll try to make it simpler...

Basically we start by splitting the retreating evasion into lead arm extension (pawing, stiff arm, long guard, etc) and backwards sprint (while adding lateral sprint as well).

So first there would be 4 directional sprints done by double flicking the LS in the appropriate direction (ie. towards opponent- forward sprint, away from opponent- backwards sprint, and to either side- lateral to the chosen side).

For the pawing it could become tied to the grappling input which I described earlier.

Freeing up the R1+R2 input for something else (like adaptive block like Gaethje has).. so this way even Gaethje can use the pawing... something he uses quite extensively..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
I don't really understand the context of your question.

Holding forward for what? using what holding forward?

I'll try to make it simpler...

Basically we start by splitting the retreating evasion into lead arm extension (pawing, stiff arm, long guard, etc) and backwards sprint (while adding lateral sprint as well).

So first there would be 4 directional sprints done by double flicking the LS in the appropriate direction (ie. towards opponent- forward sprint, away from opponent- backwards sprint, and to either side- lateral to the chosen side).

For the pawing it could become tied to the grappling input which I described earlier.

Freeing up the R1+R2 input for something else (like adaptive block like Gaethje has).. so this way even Gaethje can use the pawing... something he uses quite extensively..
Ah so your changing the control scheme of how retreat works i see, not a fan of doublr flick so why not just lb and ls.

I like the idea of lead arm pawing. But id like to see a multitude of changes first, maybe in conjuctuon with it. Revamped tko system, would allow us to to have realistic use of measuring distance. Id like a power modifier so you can truly damagae someone, while using the paw as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »