Home

Getting hit too much. Is it impossible to play a defensive style now?

This is a discussion on Getting hit too much. Is it impossible to play a defensive style now? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5
Getting hit too much. Is it impossible to play a defensive style now?

Sup guys, I've been away from the game since about April and noticed lots of improvements. However, as a result of the patches I feel like its way harder to be elusive/defensive.

The block breaks down after 3 straight punches, you can't block while circling or lunging anymore, the minor slips are great but you still get cracked with hooks, the back sway doesn't seem to evade all hooks like the patch notes says....im just finding myself getting hit a lot more than I did before.

Does anyone have any updated tips to fight a defensive style now? I'm finding guys just coming forward being uber aggressive throwing a lot of strikes breaking down my block. It's like aggressive fighters are more powerful now. I know grappling is now viable to slow them down, but how can I do this while striking
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Getting hit too much. Is it impossible to play a defensive style now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
Sup guys, I've been away from the game since about April and noticed lots of improvements. However, as a result of the patches I feel like its way harder to be elusive/defensive.

The block breaks down after 3 straight punches, you can't block while circling or lunging anymore, the minor slips are great but you still get cracked with hooks, the back sway doesn't seem to evade all hooks like the patch notes says....im just finding myself getting hit a lot more than I did before.

Does anyone have any updated tips to fight a defensive style now? I'm finding guys just coming forward being uber aggressive throwing a lot of strikes breaking down my block. It's like aggressive fighters are more powerful now. I know grappling is now viable to slow them down, but how can I do this while striking

Really just about making reads based on what your opponent does. HOWEVER, I wholeheartedly agree that there are books that hit despite doing a perfectly timed minor back away, and that has been the bane of my existence, especially since that's what I do to drain the stamina of those hitting the jab uppercut hook combo.

One thing I like to do is to slip, block slip. Not every slip has to be a counter strike, my buddy G_O_A_T1099 and I have worked on trying to use the slips more defensively in this matter, and so far it works really well. If you try to fire back to soon, that's what usually gets you in trouble.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
MVP

Trillz's Arena

im having the same problem, its much harder to play defensive or have a fight with distance.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Defense has felt just as bad as before imo. You can't evade much with footwork (which always seems to be the primary way it's done irl...not head movement or even blocking). In general, it should be pretty hard to land a solid shot if footwork was improved.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Rookie

This is absolutely a problem now more than before. I knew it would be once I saw that they were nerfing the jab. In theory you should be able to take these fighters down easier now which should balance out the game. Gonna give it a while before I see if it's a major prob tho. That's the thing with constant patching, each time you have to change how you fight so there's an annoying adjustment period.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
Rookie

The game already does so much for player. The distance with the magnetic strikes helps them as well as skating miles forward with the jab constantly and using it to close huge distance as well as speeding up the follow up.

Try and go to the body and now the game automatically tracks their punches to your head as well.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
Banned

This account will get deleted after this post, but I had to weigh in. Here's the problem:

If you want to play a Defensive or Outside Striker style you need to master every single obscure mechanic in the game. You also need to master the current meta, and all the combos so you can learn how to make reads.

If you want to be a "Pressure" fighter, all you have to do is memorize 3-4 combos and hold forward while mixing up those few combos over and over and over.

The problem isnt that we dont have the tools to deal with spam, the problem is how incredibly easy, low risk/very high reward pressure fighting is compared to how insanely technical and smart you need to be to fight on the outside.

Its way too easy to have huge success against the majority of the feild just holding forward mashing combos. Yes there are outliers like Kinetic but he is an amazing gamer at his core, and an exception to the rule rather than the norm. He would be good no matter the games mechanics. The fact is this game caters to non stop combos far far far more than it does any other playstyle.

Yes we have to the tools, but we also have to work 500 times harder than our opponent, who is just mashing non stop with no real thoughtful strategy.

The average fight in this game has more strikes thrown in 1 accelerated round than an entire 3 round fight irl. I have a realistic game maybe 1 out of every 10 fights. If arcade action is what EA is going for they nailed it outa the park.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #8
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

It just goes back to the crazy frenetic pace this game encourages and allows. Combos should have to be intelligently placed to avoid gassing. Instead players are throwing 100+ strikes a round with very little consequence.

If you don't choose to engage with the 100+ strikes a round nonsense then prepare to lose the fight either by decsion or ko. There is no pick your shots and gas your opponent on a 3 round tilt on this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »