Home

Feels like I have to throw 100+ strikes per round in order to compete. What gives???

This is a discussion on Feels like I have to throw 100+ strikes per round in order to compete. What gives??? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5
Arrow Feels like I have to throw 100+ strikes per round in order to compete. What gives???

I don't know if its just me but it seems extremely hard to be competitive by fighting smart and picking your shots. I don't understand why outside fighting was nerfed so hard.

I try to use footwork, use sways, and backsteps to make my opponents miss....but its just not as effective as pushing forward and unloading 2-3 strikes per 3 seconds. I don't have fun playing super aggressive, i much rather play a patient, calculated striking style.....but it just seems like you're handicapped if you try to strike like that in this game.

Can anyone give any tips or post vids of some top players being effective while not throwing a ton a strikes? Timing and strike selection used to matter but it doesn't feel like it anymore. I really wanna enjoy the game again but man its hard when you have to be super aggressive just to win.
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Feels like I have to throw 100+ strikes per round in order to compete. What gives

Only partially related, but I just fought a Wanderlei player who I was like 10 - 0 against or maybe 11 - 0, something like that. All he had to do was bum rush me. Stats of the fight in about 1 and a 1/4 rounds for him was 45/145 strikes... Ridiculous. He completely ****ed me up (I was Costa) and he has never beaten me before.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
Pro

Re: Feels like I have to throw 100+ strikes per round in order to compete. What gives

But anyway, back to your topic.

A bit of a shameless plug here but have a scan through my UFC 3 videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWR...o79fXak1AFh_2g

I like to think that I’m a less aggressive player and pick my shots well, so this footage may help you.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshly Baked Gregg
Only partially related, but I just fought a Wanderlei player who I was like 10 - 0 against or maybe 11 - 0, something like that. All he had to do was bum rush me. Stats of the fight in about 1 and a 1/4 rounds for him was 45/145 strikes... Ridiculous. He completely ****ed me up (I was Costa) and he has never beaten me before.

This is what im experiencing too man! Guys who i've beaten with ease in the past are now able to touch me up the entire fight. I'm not saying that people don't improve over time, but its def partially related to the changes in the standup and volume being harder to deal with.

I had a feeling this was gonna happen when everyone was first complaining to Geoff about block being too strong. If you picked your shots carefully then you had no problem with high block being strong. Now the game seems more bum friendly in terms of volume striking being so effective.
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Old 07-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
This is what im experiencing too man! Guys who i've beaten with ease in the past are now able to touch me up the entire fight. I'm not saying that people don't improve over time, but its def partially related to the changes in the standup and volume being harder to deal with.

I had a feeling this was gonna happen when everyone was first complaining to Geoff about block being too strong. If you picked your shots carefully then you had no problem with high block being strong. Now the game seems more bum friendly in terms of volume striking being so effective.

I actually thing the block needs to be almost non-existent moving forward. In real life, these bum rushes are stopped by firing a straight down the middle and that’s about it.

I haven’t tried it out in game, but the lunge back followed by a straight SHOULD work.

The pull counter is a bit unreliable due to the binary nature of strikes landing/missing. Pull counters IRL can be done on straight punches but often result in the counter fighter being somewhat touched up.

https://giphy.com/gifs/eddie-mcgrego...-4vNWp1FGrT6uI

I know Alvarez didn’t connect on McGregor here, but I can’t find a better example and it’s not hard to imagine that he very well could have - but McGregor would probably have been okay, as the momentum change wouldn’t have had been very much, as his head was moving in the same direction of the punch.

This is something this game, as far as I’m aware of, does not have.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshly Baked Gregg
But anyway, back to your topic.

A bit of a shameless plug here but have a scan through my UFC 3 videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWR...o79fXak1AFh_2g

I like to think that I’m a less aggressive player and pick my shots well, so this footage may help you.

I watched your “technical war” video. Youre a good player. However, you threw 90 strikes in round 1.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter Punch
I watched your “technical war” video. Youre a good player. However, you threw 90 strikes in round 1.

I know. I wish I didn’t have to. It’s still way too much and this is pretty non-aggressive in terms of relativity to other players.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
Pro

Bump before this gets lost

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »