Home

Blocking - possible reason why pressure fighting is OP?

This is a discussion on Blocking - possible reason why pressure fighting is OP? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2018, 03:25 AM   #41
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Blocking - possible reason why pressure fighting is OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshly Baked Gregg
Ah, that’s where the game should have tutorials.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
By the 3rd iteration we should have had simulation settings, arcade settings, etc. available in some form for online play. The team must have super limited resources and I hate criticizing things like this when they may very well be doing the impossible and I’d be shocked at how much they do with what they are given.

However, of the game isn’t selling then it brings me back to the point, the franchise has always been super arcadish and super spammy online. If people aren’t playing online, why is EA doubling down on something that isn’t working?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2018, 03:41 AM   #42
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter Punch
By the 3rd iteration we should have had simulation settings, arcade settings, etc. available in some form for online play. The team must have super limited resources and I hate criticizing things like this when they may very well be doing the impossible and I’d be shocked at how much they do with what they are given.

However, of the game isn’t selling then it brings me back to the point, the franchise has always been super arcadish and super spammy online. If people aren’t playing online, why is EA doubling down on something that isn’t working?
They have to remember that if people wanted to play an arcade fighter, there's Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tekken, etc.

This series is the ONLY realistic fighting game that is easily accessible. They should be capitalising on that.

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/best-fighting-games-ufc
Old 07-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshly Baked Gregg
They have to remember that if people wanted to play an arcade fighter, there's Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tekken, etc.

This series is the ONLY realistic fighting game that is easily accessible. They should be capitalising on that.

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/best-fighting-games-ufc
Funny is those games are much more realistic ib terms of distance management.

Hitboxes >>>> binary hit detection

Occaisionally some wacky stuff happens with hit boxes but the current meta is literally built around strikes sliding you into your opponent.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #44
Rookie

Has a mechanic been thought of that the longer you hold your block, the more it naturally drains? Meaning that you are rewarded for not holding it, but flicking it as shots rain in? Meaning you'd see a lot less folk walking about shelled up constantly
Old 07-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #45
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnt149
Has a mechanic been thought of that the longer you hold your block, the more it naturally drains? Meaning that you are rewarded for not holding it, but flicking it as shots rain in? Meaning you'd see a lot less folk walking about shelled up constantly
In B4 EA Response:

“That could lead to more KOs which would be frustrating for new players”.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #46
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

However, of the game isn’t selling then it brings me back to the point, the franchise has always been super arcadish and super spammy online.
If people aren’t playing online, why is EA doubling down on something that isn’t working?
The game is selling. Its sells more than any other EA sports title than Madden and Fifa. EA is happy with its sales numbers.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #47
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Man I love your presence here on the forums. You’re always willing to engage and I appreciate that.

It seems like the online numbers aren’t very good compared to a lot of other sports games.

If the gamers who want more arcade aspects aren’t playing online and it’s just the hardcore competitive crowd playing online then how is it msthemsticslly possible to be catering to the majority by listening to the competitive crowd for online play?

*Drops mic* LMAO
I appreciate that.

I dont think EA worries much about online numbers. They care about the number of people who buy the game. People at OS focus on online numbers because its the only data that they have available to give them an idea about how the game is doing. That data is flawed given that the large majority of people who play this game play it offline according to EA.

They listen to the hardcore comp crowd because they seem to know the mechanics of the game better than most. I find that to be sometimes true. I'll see a discussion behind the scenes focused on game mechanics and sometimes it involves things that I would only be able to understand if I played on the top level of ranked online.

I'm not saying that they are the only ones who should have input (they arent). I'm not saying that their input is always right (it isnt). I'm saying that the devs will give someone who's played the game for thousands of hours and who has mastered the mechanics more weight than someone who plays it semi-regularly.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #48
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I appreciate that.

I dont think EA worries much about online numbers. They care about the number of people who buy the game. People at OS focus on online numbers because its the only data that they have available to give them an idea about how the game is doing. That data is flawed given that the large majority of people who play this game play it offline according to EA.

They listen to the hardcore comp crowd because they seem to know the mechanics of the game better than most. I find that to be sometimes true. I'll see a discussion behind the scenes focused on game mechanics and sometimes it involves things that I would only be able to understand if I played on the top level of ranked online.

I'm not saying that they are the only ones who should have input (they arent). I'm not saying that their input is always right (it isnt). I'm saying that the devs will give someone who's played the game for thousands of hours and who has mastered the mechanics more weight than someone who plays it semi-regularly.
I love the idea of GCs and I think overall they’ve improved the game a lot.

But I worry that there’s an inherent conflict of interest that some want to ensure their personal victory/fun/success with the game over what’s best for the game overall.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »