Home

The fate of outside fighting.

This is a discussion on The fate of outside fighting. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2018, 04:14 AM   #57
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: The fate of outside fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRommel
I invite you to try to pressure me in-game.

If you try to pressure me, you will:

-Allow me to break your block faster
-Concede vulnerability risk
-Strike slower
-Lose trades

I'll blow you up if you try to get aggressive with me, 100% guaranteed. Going forward is, by default, worse than standing still or going backward, mainly due to increased vulnerability and slowed starting strike speed. The fact that you don't recognize this is good evidence that you don't understand the mechanics as well as you think you do.

Can I ask what rank you are in-game?
I hover between 1400 and 1500 ranked points. #610 on the leaderboards last time I checked. My PSN is SusAlpaca but I'm in Australia stuck with ADSL2+ so the connection will probably be ***.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:19 AM   #58
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter Punch
You don’t think that being intimately involved in the development of the game mechanics gives you an inherent advantage in using and understanding these tools the game provides, particularly when they aren’t intuitive?
This is my biggest gripe with the game. There are many ways to deal with certain tactics in this game, but an MMA genius wouldn't be able to pick the game up (assuming they know the controls) and destroy everyone simply because the game has too many counters to things that simply aren't intuitive or realistic.

e.g. I shouldn't have to throw two 1-6-3s at a forward moving opponent to break the block. A jab should break the block.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:32 AM   #59
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshly Baked Gregg
This is my biggest gripe with the game. There are many ways to deal with certain tactics in this game, but an MMA genius wouldn't be able to pick the game up (assuming they know the controls) and destroy everyone simply because the game has too many counters to things that simply aren't intuitive or realistic.

e.g. I shouldn't have to throw two 1-6-3s at a forward moving opponent to break the block. A jab should break the block.
A jab breaking the block? Eh. One shot won't be enough. I think the 1-6-3 is the attempt of the game trying to hit from different angles, but unfortunately people just use that combo to a spam fest EVERY time they're within range.
(Not that I don't know how to deal with it, but let's be real, it's a staple for 80% of players in the top 100)

I would love for there to be more stopping power on (KEYWORD) Planted single strikes. Somebody walking forward blindly throwing a combo, and one planted straight down the pipe should do a lot more damage than it does now. If that was the case, then certain players wouldn't be able to just brazenly walk in.

Blocking while sidestepping would help a lot, along with fixing the tracking on certain moves. (The heat seeking Overhand is one of them)

Knees, Slip Straights, Front Kicks, are your good friends.

Last edited by RomeroXVII; 07-11-2018 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:33 AM   #60
MVP

Quote:

Well you could want to just get out of the way and let them gas out. This isn't possible in this game. You always have to engage. You always have to match their output, because you have nowhere to go.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 AM   #61
MVP

Quote:
This x100000000000000000000000000

This is why I'm in the camp of, get everything realistic to real life, especially especially especially animations, and get everything in the game first before worrying about balancing the whole thing and trying to invent mechanics to solve issues WHICH ARE ALREADY SOLVED IRL.

Sure, you can be the best at the game or top 50. Doesn't matter at the end of the day if the mechanics aren't true to life which then brings us back to the very foundations of the game namely distance control and the rock paper scissors systems which either need to get much deeper in terms of possibilities or stripped away completely and replaced with an organic momentum physics system.

I could live with the rock paper system IF they were much more nuanced so as to barely be picked up by the naked eye. For example slipping a same side hook. Why should the fist be zapped right onto the middle of my head every single time? Perhaps I slipped the same way but at a slight diagonal angle and he was a smidge off with his range and so hits my forehead instead?

Having more degrees / incrementality within the RPS system would do wonders to make the whole thing feel more organic. It's a game after all and having a momentum physics system might be a disaster to code anyway and buggy as hell. This probably deserves its own thread tbh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2018, 04:48 AM   #62
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeroXVII
A jab breaking the block? Eh. One shot won't be enough.
Please find a clip of someone blocking a jab and the follow-up shot, moving forward, in MMA, without taking a heap of damage (yes, I know Gaethje pulls **** like this but not everyone's Gaethje and look where his style has led him). I'd be surprised.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:50 AM   #63
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeroXVII
I would love for there to be more stopping power on (KEYWORD) Planted single strikes. Somebody walking forward blindly throwing a combo, and one planted straight down the pipe should do a lot more damage than it does now. If that was the case, then certain players wouldn't be able to just brazenly walk in.
This is exactly what I've been trying to say. A singular straight punch would ****ing end someone who tried to keep coming forward combo-ing off in MMA. Look what happened in McGregor vs Aldo.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:53 AM   #64
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
This x100000000000000000000000000

This is why I'm in the camp of, get everything realistic to real life, especially especially especially animations, and get everything in the game first before worrying about balancing the whole thing and trying to invent mechanics to solve issues WHICH ARE ALREADY SOLVED IRL.

Sure, you can be the best at the game or top 50. Doesn't matter at the end of the day if the mechanics aren't true to life which then brings us back to the very foundations of the game namely distance control and the rock paper scissors systems which either need to get much deeper in terms of possibilities or stripped away completely and replaced with an organic momentum physics system.

I could live with the rock paper system IF they were much more nuanced so as to barely be picked up by the naked eye. For example slipping a same side hook. Why should the fist be zapped right onto the middle of my head every single time? Perhaps I slipped the same way but at a slight diagonal angle and he was a smidge off with his range and so hits my forehead instead?

Having more degrees / incrementality within the RPS system would do wonders to make the whole thing feel more organic. It's a game after all and having a momentum physics system might be a disaster to code anyway and buggy as hell. This probably deserves its own thread tbh.
I made a thread like yesterday or the day before where I outlined this RPS-style system and the need for a physics-based system. An incredibly deep RPS-system, like you mention, would be good too, but that's really going down a deep rabbit hole if things don't work as planned.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »