Home

Buff hi low mix ups

This is a discussion on Buff hi low mix ups within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Buff hi low mix ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartialMind
The argument i'm seeing in favor of buffing hi/low mix ups is that body punches are too slow in comparison to how they are in real life. I understand why it might seem this way visually, and with SOME fighters this might be the case, but in general, the speeds are realistic.

Let's use Jon Jones for example.

Before I started really learning Jon Jones, i felt he was incredibly slow and sluggish with all of his attacks. He felt that way because I was trying to use him like one would use a Gustafsson type character. If you use him like that, he will feel slow and sluggish, but if used correctly, you start to find out that his speeds are very appropriate.

Lets look at the body hooks.

Lead body hook:

I have not sped up or manipulated the footage in anyway, infact you can do this test yourself. As you can see, his lead body hook in game is borderline EXACTLY thesame speed as his real life lead body hook. Look at it frame by frame if you want. It's about as good a replica as it gets.

Rear Body Hook:

Again, I haven't manipulated the footage at all. Test it yourself and see. Another exact replica.

Now that said, I understand that for some reason, even looking at the footage, the in game versions still seem kinda slow even though they aren't. I think it's due to small movements related to the actual strike.

Like the switch kick in general, as well as the switch kick in game seems faster than it actually is BECAUSE of the fast switch... The slight feint and smaller level changes makes those real life hooks above seem faster.

But when it comes to actual speeds, like wind-up to execution to recovery... the accuracy is truly remarkable.

Another thing that is important to consider is that how you play the game and use certain fighters will affect your judgement. If you try to throw body hooks with Jones like you're Nate Diaz, you will eat all kinds of uppercuts.

Nate for instance throws a barrage of body hooks only when opponents are hurt and turtled up. That's the safest time to throw them and that's really only when he does. Occasionally he'll throw single jabs to the body but when he fought Conor who's a tactician and tried throwing throwing single body jabs, he ate uppercuts and intercept straights over and over again.

If anything, I'd say body shots are a bit too safe in the game considering how common they are online. The amount of body shots we see in the game are very very high compared to how many body shots we actually see in a fight.

In it's current state, as long as you throw them intelligently and set them up well, you can safely work the body all fight long. Hell I do with Jones against combo happy DC players who are constantly in my face throwing uppercuts.

There are a lot of good suggestions in here from very good players on how to set them up. Try them out.

Good references to the Nate Conor fight but you left out a major factor. The trade off favored Nate in the long run. Conor timed counters all day to the body punches but those body punches push him back, stopped his momentum, and stole his energy. And maybe once or twice did the counter have a noticeable effect on Diaz but not a exact immediate effect every time. Speed may be ok, but stopping power, and head placement is the real difference here in comparison to body shots in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #66
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextupNico
One punch uppercut rocks from all fighters on all directions the head is traveling during punches but oh well this thread is dead because the council has spoken.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Agree with this

I wish knees/headkicks were the real counters vs just uppercuts
Old 07-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #67
Rookie

i wish i could actually flow with my combos going head body or body head, just so stiff though, whether it be the controls, not having a high enough boxing combo level, or because it's not a hard combo.

only body punch i really throw is a lead hook.

FNC had it perfect, i wish EA would have taken more from FNC for this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »